I Killed A Frog And I Liked It - Equinox Review

2022-01-26T21:46:30Z

2 Likes

Totally agree with Matt on big cards. Thankfully I own very few games (in fact none come to mind) with this problem. Also bad are square cards! Square cards are a nightmare! Looking at you, Burgle Bros 1 and 2!

1 Like

I will take big cards over small cards. Trying to shuffle cards from Ticket to Ride or Chinatown is a true nightmare.

3 Likes

I’m excited about the return of Paul and Brendan, the sole members of Shut Up & Sit Down.

4 Likes

Btw. The game is Alpha on BGA, where the size of cards shouldn’t matter.

1 Like

I think big cards are great!
… Trying to lay out a whole tableau of big cards is not great, when you don’t need much in the way of info/tokens on them. It’s enough to put me off a game like this completely.

But big cards for images of art or where you need to put a bunch of stuff on them are excellent.

3 Likes

Big cards are great when they are needed

This isn’t that time. There’s a nine card row five times. They have a picture, a number and a symbol.

The bags as well, I saw the bags and thought, what the stones have a space in the insert!

4 Likes

The bags are also “which player is purple” markers.

1 Like

All right, I wanted to follow up “this is a true battle for hearts and minds” with “which means napalm, helicopter gunships, the whole bit”. I may have been watching too many Vietnam films recently.

I think another reason for big cards is to show off the art. Is it unfair of me to say that for me the art is a real turn-off? The only game I’ve played where Chris Quilliams gets the sole artist credit is Pandemic Legacy Season 1, where… the art is OK, but the style is basically utilitarian, so with respect to him it doesn’t show off any particular talent he may have. Here, well, never mind the sexy tree, it’s phlosque (“sweet little cuddly dragons with fluffy wings, enormous eyes, long eyelashes, souldful expressions and a Mission To Save The Ecosystem”). Not for me.

The thing that put me off a lot of “German games” in the early 2000s was the constant sense of “oh that doesn’t work because [obscure special case]”, and it sounds as though that’s a thing here. It didn’t do them much harm back then…

2 Likes

It put me off too. It looks nice in general, but any time I focus on individual images, I find myself weirded out by certain details. Like this green guy’s dumb face or how defined this bear’s muscles are or white shrek.

3 Likes

That’s whitewashing fantasy art! Where’s my pitchfork?

I find the art dull and inoffensive, apart from the ‘not the Deku Tree honest’ one in the review

1 Like

A lot of the faces are downright creepy, but in a 70s Euro-art way.

I don’t mind soft fantasy as a theme, but on the table the colours looked so pastel that they almost didn’t stand out from each other.

And I like big cards most of the time, but not when you know you’re going to have a minimum table footprint that’s just way too large to be practical. The counters look great, though.

1 Like