How are you today?

They don’t see anything concerning in her MRI, so that’s a massive relief.

It does mean we basically have no idea why she had them, but that’s apparently what epilepsy is.

So they’re going to be taking her off sedation and as long as she can breathe on her own, they’ll remove the breathing tube. They’re keeping the EEG on for now, though.

She’s here for at least another night for observation, but I’m looking forward to hearing her voice again.

Hopefully she doesn’t have any more seizures, and can go home tomorrow.

18 Likes

Mini Ross had unexplained seizures when she was really young , normally when they had a fever. It’s incredibly scary, hope it feels better when you can talk.

11 Likes

I don’t think I’ve felt such joy and relief since I heard her first cry when she was born.

She’s tired but awake. Groggy but alert. She’s my baby and I’m so happy to hear her voice. To see her smile.

She’s happier and calmer than I expected. Very curious about everything and asking questions. She’s been around medical stuff her entire life, so that probably helps. She’s always interested and engaged when the nurses come to see her Grandma so part of this whole experience is “cool” to her.

We still don’t have any answers, and we may never get them. We probably have a journey ahead of us as we keep searching for a cause but for now I’m just happy she’s back and appears to be well.

This weekend has been insane, thank you everyone for all your kind words and giving a panicked father somewhere to vent.

26 Likes

Oh goodness huge sympathies, what an awful day. My son had a seizure at 5 and I don’t recall ever being so scared. It turned out to be related to his high fever and has never been repeated. I do want to reassure you that in themselves seizures are not dangerous unless they’re prolonged, as you have already been told. Anyone has the potential to have a seizure, and all epilepsy (‘idiopathic epilepsy’) really means is ‘more likely to have a seizure. The normal MRI is great news and I really hope you get some more answers from here. Internet hugs are coming your way for what they’re worth. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you all.

10 Likes

Had a zoom interview this morning for a job I’m pretty sure I’m not going to get. I think the interview went ok with me giving mostly good answers though some maybe could have been better, but none were terrible. I just also know the person who has been doing this job for years is re-applying for their job and likely to get it if they want it back so I’m not overly invested.

My PhD advisor was one of the interviewers, which I hadn’t fully expected but wasn’t really surprised by either. It is a job at my old university and someone from my old department had to be on the hiring committee. Other two members of the committee were my old boss from a summer job (knew she would be there) and someone I didn’t know. I didn’t have the greatest experience finishing my PhD so not sure how I feel about my advisor being on the committee.

13 Likes

Thank you.

Yesterday was definitely better, she was alert and awake and healthy so spent most of my time helping her.

She was still a bit off yesterday, which was a little concerning. She finally got a full night’s sleep and this morning is much closer to her normal self, which is encouraging.

And since she was moved to a primary care unit, the room had a bit more space so my wife also stayed over night last night and helped our daughter so I was also able to finally get a full night’s sleep.

Waiting for the morning rounds to know for sure, but she should be coming home today.

16 Likes

Haven’t had much computer or phone time, but my daughter’s been home a couple days now and is doing well. She’s still a bit emotional and gets tired a bit easer–both could be caused by her medication–but other than that she’s back to normal.

We opted to keep her out of school all week, but she’ll go back next week. I imagine the first couple days will be nerve-wracking for my wife and I.

We’re trying to get used to a stricter bedtime routine for her (and us) and also trying to find a balance of keeping an eye on her while also allowing her some independence.

They never found a cause, so we’ll keep working with her neurologist and keep monitoring her. Fingers crossed she doesn’t have any more seizures, but even if she does they shouldn’t be as bad as the last time thanks to the medication.

It’s going to be a transition for all of us, but I’m just glad she’s back, healthy and happy.

19 Likes

That’s so good to hear. Keeping tabs on bedtime, food and screen time tend to be really helpful. It sometimes takes an incident like this to remind us how fragile we are.

I have been struggling at work as I have had now two members of my team giving me their resignation. The first was announced before the New Year, and it was a bit of a surprise, as he is one of the most experienced members of the whole business, but he is starting his own business and moving closer to Auckland.

The second one was today, and although it was a matter of not if but when (her husband is moving South closer to Wellington) the timing is what really hurt, as our QA Officer will be away for 4 weeks on annual leave. So I am going to have a lot of fun interviewing new staff the next few weeks while running the show understaffed. We have a replacement coming by mid February, but that was going to be team expansion. What we don’t need is three newbies (I have been here only since July) running the team.

Fun times.

10 Likes

“We are currently hiring full-time writers! Do you have these qualifications?”
(Lists qualifications)
“I do!”
“Excellent! Do you want to be part of an energetic, enthusiastic team? Apply now!”
“Okay!”
“We pay $0.02 per word!”
“Fuck no!”

Professional rates are around $1/word, just as a comparison.

I am so tired. I just want a job that will treat me reasonably well and pay me enough that I won’t starve. Why is that so goddamn hard to find?

Chewy, can you use a very enthusiastic, energetic writer who also has a degree in physics? New Zealand is sounding better and better…

15 Likes

Today in theory: Relaxing in the morning, then packing for a trip with my folks and siblings (one of whom is in the country on holiday).

Today in practice: Relaxing in the morning, then discovering weevils on a bag of rolled oats in the pantry, and spending the rest of the day painstakingly cleaning and purging, item by item.

Just gone midnight. Haven’t packed a thing yet.

6 Likes

Weevils are the worst.

I once discovered them in rice. The small ones almost look like grains of rice. I almost threw up then and there. And once you have them… hard to get rid off. What helps: Freezer for 3 days kills off any larvae and eggs.

What I use since that incident is „Clip & Close“ boxes for everything. They close very tight and prevent the moths from either getting in to lay eggs or from anything getting out.

If you are not sure about stuff: they like almost every dried good you have in your kitchen. If you have some dried pasta and there is some „pasta dust“ in the packaging: that‘s them.

They also like teas and herbal infusions. Not even spices are safe.

Rice, pasta, flour… → you can put flour through a sieve and then in the freezer. (Which is I did with 5kg of rye flour the last time I imported some accidentally)

5 Likes

We had an infestation in a large bag of birdseed. The first sign was them plummeting from the ceiling onto my wife’s keyboard.

6 Likes

Being a writer is tough–have a couple friends who do it–and I imagine it’s only going to get worse thanks to stuff like ChatGPT.

Which is a shame, because a good writer is valuable but instead we just think anyone can do it and pay crap money.

Hopefully you can find something/somewhere that properly values and pays for your skills.

5 Likes

I’m gonna stick with tin beans from now on.

7 Likes

Tempting, very tempting… specially with all the internal audits I have to write a year…

4 Likes

Argh.

Any advice on explaining to a 30 year old how they should enact a system to organise their work in even the most basic of ways. And also how to evaluate the importance of individual tasks.

I’m thinking of the old 2x2 grid on difficulty and time needed to complete.

Or a mallet.

6 Likes

What’s their background? What are they used to organising, even if it’s only their social life?

2 Likes

Priority x urgency matrix plus a Gantt chart?

I hate Gantt charts with a passion but other people seem to find them useful :wink:

What are they struggling with, specifically?

3 Likes

Background wise, it’s the first real adult job, in an office environment.

Gant charts thank you

4 Likes

I don’t think I have a formal system but if there aren’t interdependencies it ends up being something like priority = time-estimated ÷ time-to-deadline.

5 Likes