How are you today?

I think there is some research that even if you don’t sleep, if you lie in bed and close your eyes, you still rest. This has helped me feel less stressed about lying awake at night.

3 Likes

I’ve been existing on about 7 hours a night for… 20 years… and last night I crashed out at 9pm and slept for 11 hours. And woke up tired. Um.

3 Likes

Passed my probation period today in my first developer job. Wahoo!!! I’m over the moon :partying_face::partying_face:. Hopefully in a year or so I’ll be just about out of my depth as opposed to very out of my depth in the world of code.

18 Likes

One of us! One of us!

7 Likes

Congratulations! That’s awesome

3 Likes

Hurrah and congratulations!

3 Likes

Poor thing.

5 Likes

Good for you. Just remember that the people who are loud about how much they know are the ones who are bluffing.

5 Likes

Piece of advice: if you are ever not out of your depth, it’s time to move to a deeper pool.

4 Likes

I’ve always heard: “if you’re the smartest person in the room, you’re in the wrong room”. Yours has a bit more tact and humility.

5 Likes

Dunning-Kruger is real. And painful to watch in many cases.

3 Likes

Thanks for the well wishes all!

Thanks, some feedback from my technical interview was how much they liked that I said I don’t know when I hadn’t a clue.

That is the aim, unless kids become a priority, then no sleep may deepen any pool I’m in for me :man_shrugging:

Currently C# .NET so does that even put me in your current subpool too?

5 Likes

I’m told C# isn’t a horrible language but the work involved in getting it to run anywhere I can run stuff would be excessive.

3 Likes

I started out at my current company doing C#. Then I moved onto Ada95 and now I’m doing C++ (with dashes of Python and C# as required).

3 Likes

I see. I think I saw a reference to visual studio. Do you use that fir your C++ IDE or is it tangential to your work?

I’ve been enjoying playing with it so far. It does seem like it’s only really useful if you’re fully in to a microsoft environment. Actual features of the language are smartly done. Like many things characteristics that are good in some areas and liabilities in other areas.

2 Likes

Yup, mostly Visual Studio for C++ and C#. Though sometimes Workbench and XilinxSDK which are both Eclipse-based.

1 Like

Congratulations. The two most important things to remember when working as a dev (according to me):

• we call cook with water
  • everyone makes mistakes, everyone.
2 Likes

Almost finished work for a week off!

Hurrah! Also said goodbye to an excellent report today. Not hurrah!

6 Likes

It’s nothing to do with how smart you or anyone else is, and all about challenging your self and not getting stagnant.

You can be the least smart person on a project, but if it’s something you can do in your sleep, you will be bored out of your mind. Or you can be the smartest person, and if it’s a hard problem— whether that’s because it’s hard, or just lots of new things to learn— you will find it interesting.

Or at least, that’s how I find it works. It’s probably not universally that way.

4 Likes

What do you mean by this? I can have a fair guess but it’s nice to be sure

2 Likes