How are you today?

That’s awesome. And hilarious!

I’ve been doing daily lateral flow tests post-Airecon which have all been negative (my husband has been in bed pretty much since Tuesday afternoon). This morning I woke up with a scratchy throat so we’ve both been down the local test centre for a PCR test… :crossed_fingers:

8 Likes

Our youngest has just tested positive on a LFT. Just a cold atm.

And we didn’t even get to go to a board game convention.

5 Likes

I bet mochi is a serious contender for deadly food, if you go by deaths per capita regularly eating it per year instead of total deaths per year.

4 Likes

Both PCR tests came back positive… I suppose not having to go into the office next week is something of an upside.

7 Likes

Ah, bah! Sympathies.

4 Likes

Take care. Hope it’s mild

3 Likes

I hope for everyone who seems to be down with covid right now and there are a few of you that I am aware of @Chewy77, @SteveB_uk and @Whistle_Pig and everyone else I may have overlooked … get well soon and may the symptoms remain mild and go away quickly.

PS: the tooth thing went well enough. I slept through Friday after that.

12 Likes

I was bedridden till Friday night, now much better, just with some throaty cough and a touch of backache during Saturday.

It does pack a good punch, I had not been this sick for decades. All 4 of us have been through, the last has been my eldest, tested positive yesterday, but she’s had mild symptoms since Wednesday as well. Last night she struggled to sleep because of the fever, but she is better today.

9 Likes

I’m up in the mountains with the family, so things are good. Wood stove, lodgepole pines, elk, and rain on a metal roof does wonders for recovering from the workplace. I expect after this week off, we’ll see a boom in absences from the students and staff for about 2 weeks, and then we have a day of required state testing in three weeks, which will likely catch anyone that hasn’t caught the local variant yet. By the time things normalize, we’ll be at the end of the semester, and I can go back to hiding from other humans again.

7 Likes

Complications confirmed : )

I’d lost 5Kg at the time, and had concluded that I probably wanted to lose that much again. I thought that was just a matter of time, but…

I lost another 1Kg at close to the same rate as before, 1Kg more at a (relatively speaking) frustratingly slow rate, and then I hit a wall. I wasn’t eating more food than before, but lost no more weight at all over the next couple of weeks. Apparently over the course of my diet my body had adapted to getting by on much less energy than before, and reduced its energy output to compensate. I find it fascinating, as I didn’t really feel any different.

Some reading showed that there was dispute regarding this phenomenon, but my guess is that the “intermittent fasting” approach (eating normally most days but eating much less a couple of days a week) is designed to trick your body into not doing this – in which case you’d be losing weight at only about 30% of my initial rate, but might maintain that rate over the long term without slowing down; so given my personal observations I’m thinking I might try that approach moving forwards.

For the time being I’ve resumed eating more normally, and thus far my weight seems fairly stable at about 0.5Kg above my lowest point. The next step was always going to be increasing the amount of exercise I’m getting, so I’ve just reached that point a bit sooner than I thought I was going to.

4 Likes

This article may contain the information about what’s happening. I haven’t fully verified so maybe someone else knows if there’s enough accuracy? My quick research seemed to not throw up much wrong

4 Likes

Good article.

For weight, cardio is absolutely second to the strength program on the machines. Before the pandemic, I was at a run of 3 years of regular strength exercises (2-3 a week at the gym) and that was the best I’d felt in a long time. It was also the closest I ever came to actual visible abs (I have a photo from 2018 which I am not posting on the internet). I dream of going back to the gym when we have moved. Lifting is probably even more efficient.

I have to say though that the 7 minute thing is pretty good at building a habit of moving and doing more than nothing. So I wouldn’t discount that. It has helped me in the past especially after long periods of inactivity and I still do it occasionally when I have little time but want to get in “something”.

Exercise on its own though… you still have to eat what I call “good” food. What is good and works for you? I can’t say. There is a lot of evidence that not all calories are created equal and that meal composition is a very personal thing for every body. Then there’s all those food pyramids and recommended food lists… I think we all have to find our own way through that labyrinth because we need to enjoy the food we eat or we cannot sustain the diet. Mostly, eating “good” food takes time because one has to cook a lot more and prepare food because none of the recommended lists include a lot of processed food stuffs.

PS: we have good experience (for 3 years now) on limiting our food-intake to a daily ~8hour window. Exceptions occur especially during traveling. I am trying to shift the window to earlier in the day but my partner and I have pretty big differences in when we want to eat.

6 Likes

Big, hard day yesterday. I’ve got two posts, but I’ll start with the lighthearted one.

We went to Children’s National Hospital yesterday. Scheduled, non-invasive procedure but still a crushing day. The early hiccup was, we checked in and were hanging out with the little one when we remembered… we left Lambie at home. Lambie was, perhaps, the most important attendee at the hospital and an important ingredient in the little one’s courage.

Both Mom and I were more than willing to make the hour+ round trip home to pick up Lambie, but we were afraid that any complications might lead to us returning late or missing important parts of the day, as well as whether our absence and the uncertainty of “when will Lambie and Daddy get back?” might cause as much stress as it alleviated.

Then we remembered Uber.

So Lambie took a 40 minute Uber from Virginia, across DC, to the hospital. God bless this Johan. I still imagine him chatting to Lambie at each stoplight as she sat in the front passenger seat, possibly with a seatbelt.

However, I didn’t know the best part until after I got home. When booking the Uber, the phone prompted “It looks like you are very far from the pickup point. Are you the passenger?” I had to hit “No,” and then make a profile. So “Lambie Lamb” is now an official rider in Uber’s database. And so, when our au pair came out of the house and approached the driver, he, not yet clued into what was really transpiring here today, leaned out the window and asked her:

“… Are you Lambie?”

18 Likes

That was probably one of the best customers the driver ever had. No questions. No complaints. No odd noises or smells. Could listen to whatever he wanted to. Bliss.

4 Likes

I don’t know about the smells part, but yeah, I bet the driver liked that trip.

A friend of a friend moved cross country a few years ago, with a bunch of drama and complications. One of the complications was that the kid’s giant bear (7’ tall!) didn’t get packed with the household stuff, and then they coudln’t take it on the plane. They ended up putting it in the car they were having shipped serperately. The auto transport driver put it in the front seat of his truck for the trip, and took pictures with it.

8 Likes

I like to imagine a quiet, periodic “Baaa.”

3 Likes

Well, it took 2 years, but I’ve finally caught covid :frowning_face: Main symptoms are a sore throat and feeling very tired (though I don’t know how much of that is the sore throat keeping me awake last night).

9 Likes

sucks, doesn’t it?

Back to work! Yay!

Covid sucks, but I think I have been lucky only to have 3 days of hell with it. May you all have a quick recovery.

8 Likes