How are you today?

Thanks. Omicron looks like it will affect all of us, but we’ll keep fingers crossed. At least being an essential worker I can keep going to work, albeit passing a RATs test daily first thing in the morning.

4 Likes

I sat down in my office chair, it went “PHHHHHT” very loudly, the seat fell down, and it sprayed oil all over the floor.

Happy Monday.

I stand most of the time, sitting only a seconardy table to take a break or when I want to read a long document, so it’s not a crisis, but it’s still annoying.

4 Likes

It really seems to be random. My sister-in-law’s two oldest (8 and 6) both had it, but her youngest (2), herself and her husband were all spared despite staying completely confined. Ours is not to question why.

1 Like

When we had it, my wife was sick, then I was sick a few days later. My daughter tested positive at school a week and ahah later, but never had any signs or symptoms.

1 Like

I’ve had messages from 3 people I was gaming with at the weekend to say they’ve tested positive for Covid… :grimacing:

6 Likes

I have no symptoms yet.

4 Likes

I am a bit under the weather this morning. Tested negative, but I am feeling really rough, like building up a cold. If it wasn’t for the COVID case I had at home, I would have ploughed on, but I think morally I have to stay home. I don’t want to spread it at work, social distancing and masks may not cut it.

7 Likes

Those of you who have followed my previous posts know my eldest can’t walk. She’s getting bigger and bigger. An ounce a week for her, another ounce of muscle for me. By this time, she’s maybe 40lbs / 18ish kilos. And, as a result, I’m a bit of a beast for arm, shoulder, and back strength. And I can pound out loaded squats like rolling a d6.

Now, we also have a 1.5 year old who weighs considerably less. In the fall, she was just toddling along but over winter she really got her feet under her and can run around and keep her balance.

Furthermore, this week it finally warmed up locally.

Cue, me outside with the little one for the first time in months.
Cue, her running over to me across the yard, no ceiling over our head.
Cue, me picking her up and tossing her into the air as Fathers are wont to do.

…did I mention she weighs a lot less than her sister?

Yeah, so I just went at it, not recalibrated for another year of parenting muscle. She rocketed up like she was Elon Musk’s latest passion project. My hands are about 8 feet off the ground when I’m stretched out, and by my estimate she was 5-6 feet past my fingertips, putting her a solid 4+ meters off the ground.

It’s one of those moments that stretches out. I’m recalculating, like “she’s… really high up.” Her eyes are wide, thinking, “I’m… really high up.” She starts over-rotating.

And then I catch her, just a tiny bit of mild whiplash on re-entry.

And as with all good stories, this one ends with a few deep breaths, a few tiny foot stomps on terra firma, and a little “AGAIN!”

18 Likes

I had a similar feeling this past weekend, when we sent my 10YO over to the neighbors’ to play with their younger kids. After about an hour, neighbor-dad comes over and says “Can you come take a look at this and let me know if it’s cool with you?”

I went into their back yard and didn’t see my daughter, but noticed that his kids were just staring off into space. A couple beats later, I see my daughter a good 45 feet up their sequoia tree. She’s not a particularly adventurous kid, but does enjoy climbing walls. She leaned out and yelled “Look at me!” and there was a moment where she, my neighbor, and I simultaneously felt the entire universe flip over as she lost her balance for a split second. Once we talked her down, we all had a long talk about all the ways in which that, while amazing, it was definitely not cool.

14 Likes

I managed to complete my 30 days of yoga practice (started on Jan 3 or 4) just in time for my tooth removal procedure tomorrow. I am a little proud of the former and much more apprehensive about the latter.

16 Likes

Well done and good luck!

2 Likes

My parents loved to tell the story of the time my brother and I climbed a cliff at a beach in Spain. Apparently a concerned crowd gathered, including a “biker gang”, and eventually someone found our parents and brought them over. My parents were just like “yeah, they do that”, and everyone else held their breath until we got to the top and safety.

4 Likes

10 people were supposed to go away for a long weekend in a manor house in Cornwall. 60% tested positive for Cornwall today or yesterday. FFS.

3 Likes

I’ve heard that Cornwall is very contagious.

9 Likes

I got covid (yesterday or the day before) after being the MOST careful person who could exist for 2 years straight. I’m fine, got all the jabs and boosts and basically just have a chesty cough and temperature.

The number of people at work who have it is enormous - we all work from home so it’s not like any of them have been mixing. I think the number of people who got it for the first time this week must be off the chart.

7 Likes

New Omicron variant is apparently even more contagious. Apparently some factories in China are being put on lockdown because of it.

And the global supply chain worsens just a little bit more…

3 Likes

In non-covid news my wife got a new job today.

Moving from working for children to with children. Also (and less important) more pay for fewer days of work.

14 Likes

Doh… :person_facepalming::person_facepalming::person_facepalming::person_facepalming::person_facepalming::person_facepalming:

4 Likes

it’s the pasties that get you.

6 Likes

Do they still have the argument with Devon about the order of butter and jam on a scone?? I cannot remember which is which, but the jam first one seems preposterous. But then, I’m Spanish, what the heck do I know. To each its own.

4 Likes