Hidden Movement Masterpiece - Mind MGMT Review

I don’t think Whitehall Mystery was ever a huge earner, and Giochi Uniti was bought by Asmodée, so I wouldn’t expect a reprint ever. Would you be interested in trying it as a PBF? I’ve done it here before.

1 Like

Hidden movement game for a lot less money. Just the basics though so no frills.

3 Likes

There is an app for Scotland Yard.
Outside the app I last played this in the 80s :slight_smile:

@felix : And there is also the hidden movement variant/expansion for Pandemic. I think we played it once that way and then came the legacy versions and we forgot all about the original game.

edit: Fury of Dracula also has an app available–not that I enjoyed that one much. But it is one of the most well-known hidden movement games. But in Whitehall & Scotland Yard the mechanic is the one central piece.

3 Likes

I think there are a lot of copies of Scotland Yard out there: it shows up quite a bit in charity shops, maths trades, etc.

2 Likes

Same here. My childhood games were Scotland Yard and Escape From Atlantis. There are worse starts…

I do find hidden movement games now don’t really interest me all that much. Battling nostalgia is a tough ask for them. Consequently this review has passed me by really.

4 Likes

Partly on account of recent talk of Maquis from the same company, I’ve ended up ordering

which is a hidden movement game for… one player. Somehow.

It seems to have a very good reputation, and my curiosity added it to my shopping cart.

3 Likes

I managed to get a second hand copy of Letters from Whitechapel last year for just under £30. It’s become one of our favourites, and despite warnings it’ll take a long time to set up and play, it never takes us very long at all. In fact, a NPI podcast spoke about how no one plays Whitechapel twice in a row so they can play both sides… We literally always do that.

I’m interested in MGMT, it does look great. But I’m wary that it’s a little more convoluted than I’d like.

4 Likes

My copy arrived today and having seen the review of the non-retail edition there is one thing I wish they had included: the pocket you can put the recruitment cards in on the back of the screen… but I fixed that with some “game” components I had lying around:

Another complaint I have will go into the boxes full of air thread.

6 Likes

It’s not that complicated. It’s overemphasised how much stuff there is to consider.

2 Likes

I’d agree to a point. In my opinion the purpose of the training>full game>SHIFT inclusion arc isn’t so much to ease players into the mechanics, but to help ingrain the internal logic. If you put too many layers in too fast, players could feel overwhelmed by the deduction element.

2 Likes

I see the Kickstarter had an upgrade pledge for wooden components.

I backed it for the extra cards.

1 Like

Happy to be a murderer. @RogerBW

2 Likes

And happy to help track you down!

1 Like

As a quick PSA, do note that the extra cards are and have been available via the little Easter egg hunt included in the game. They’re print-and-play cards but from memory none of them require hiding in a deck and you could just sleeve them anyway. This add-on offer is just a way to get the same cards but professionally printed.

1 Like

I remember reading the rulebook to Mind MGMT a few months ago and my eyes glazing over at the setup and the terminology.

Quinn’s explanation is way more palatable, but I just get the feeling that it’s Whitehall Mystery with more nonsense - a game which I love because it’s Letters from Whitechapel with less nonsense.

I also think Quinns missed a trick with Whitehall Mystery, which is that it has a small number of optional rules to help Jack or the investigators if things are getting a bit one-sided. And that small number allows you to rebalance the game without making it way more complicated with extra modules and fluff.

3 Likes

You just described the shift system perfectly; The contents of the packages amount to small rules tweaks and advantages for the losing side and to shake up the group meta. Really the only reason they’ve been placed into little boxes in the first place is to retain an element of surprise, and to ensure each new element has its associated component and rule card—the game uses a very nice board UI for all rules (modified or otherwise) in use for the session. I’m not sure why I keep seeing reviewers oversell it as a box of little expansions.

1 Like

I just played through the Tutorial Scenario with the app twice. I lost both times. At least the second time I managed to almost get the Recruiter and then they jumped.

I think the tutorial thing is incredibly helpful to learn the game. That „green“ mode is dead simple to learn—not to play well…

1 Like

The thing I found playing it is as a finder you really need to be prepared and happy to look at the board for absolutely ages to unpick the path.

There’s a good stand up moment I had when I completely unpicked her path and she couldn’t help laughing her head off. The problem was the ten minutes of talking nonsense and boring (I imagine) mathsing before that.

1 Like

I’ve sold my copy after 5 games. I’ve played this only at two players with my partner, her playing as the recruiter. This led to some awkward moments where it took me a couple of minutes staring at the board trying to figure out the puzzle. On the other hand my partner’s turns where over within a couple of seconds. In addition, she complained that her decisions were comparatively banal. This combination lead to her being bored most of the game with only a few highs in between. This might be better with more players since there would be more chatter around the table. Anyway, for us it was a miss.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s basically factually the same as me but I think my partner didn’t mind having a relatively small amount to do.

It’s kind of interesting that it’s a game where both players can be different levels of experience/interest/engagement in playing boardgames can still have a competitive fight. (The flip side is when we swapped roles it was a disaster)

4 Likes