Handicaps for Boardgames

That’s starting to drift into my usual solution, which is not to care very much about who wins. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am fine with losing (really badly at Nidavellir :slight_smile: ) but at least one of my opponents isn’t and also I feel bad for winning 3 times in a row when the fight was so very close–it all hinged on a single resource in the last game. I especially don’t mind losing but when I keep winning, I start feeling like I need to hold back and I really enjoy not having to. (Obviously, I do not always win but repeated wins of the same game do happen sometimes… -.-)

2 Likes

The only game I handicap myself by default is Flamme Rouge by adding exhaution cards to my hand. Otherwise I kinda take less time for my turns or show other less obvious possibilities how you could use your turn by doing it. The problem here is that people think I am up to something and copy the turn.

2 Likes

This is a big consideration for me at the moment where a lot of my gaming is done with my stepson. I would like to try to adopt the RogerBW philosophy of not caring who wins but unfortunately that doesn’t wash at all with the poor feller. He’s very loss-averse and can melt down completely in certain situations.

I’m often reluctant to use an overt handicap because you don’t want to bring up feelings of “I only won because you gave me a start” but we tried something simple like giving him an extra cube at Wingspan and that worked surprisingly well. It was far less game breaking than I thought it might be.

4 Likes