So this is not a revolutionary new topic and I am sure it has been discussed at length before I ever joined this community … and yet here I am asking because old discussions are lost to time now.
It came up yesterday when I told my partner yesterday that I had won another round of Beyond the Sun and reminded him my paper copy was arriving sometime this week.
„You know the game so well already, I am not going to have fun losing against you. Can’t you devise a handicap?“
And I find myself agreeing with him that it might be a good idea to start with some kind of disadvantage for me or an advantage for him. So the questions are several:
- do you consider handicaps or why not?
- how to devise a good handicap?
- is an initial advantage for the newcomer better or a disadvantage for the expert?
- do you have concrete examples?
- what games are ill suited to a handicap despite having a strong skill component?