Gardening! (continued)

I guess I could go for Japanese knotweed, but definitely seems like a “the cure is worse than the disease” sort of situation.

I was going to suggest convolvulus. More a “share in my misery” suggestion though, I’m sure something will put compete it in the winter.

Convolvulus is the same as bindweed, so I am already sharing in your misery :grin:

1 Like

Bindweed is a new name for me, but it’s a much better one. My condolences.

I knew it from a Flanders & Swann song.

1 Like

That’s also how I learned “convolvulus” :grin:

1 Like

I have something in my garden that is called “Bohnenkraut” (bean herb because you would add it to beans to make them better digestible) that is probably a close relative to thyme. The dictionary says it’s savory or summer savory. Anyway the kind I have is a very low creeping plant that wrestles a lot of the ugly weeds. it blooms in a slight pink tone in early spring and draws a lot of bees. The rest of the year it’s just a bunch of tiny green leaves and one can argue it behaves much like a weed except it is easier removed and prettier and can be used to cook. I am letting it grow everywhere and if you drop a twig or two with a centimeter of root somewhere it will take… I probably have pictures somewhere on my phone…

4 Likes

We tried for a thyme lawn when we rebuilt our garden, but everything else ate it. Ah well.

1 Like

I find thyme isn’t quite as hardy and looses to other stuff easier… I have thyme in the garden as well but never enough to use only fresh thyme for my cooking.

(my garden is tiny btw, there is barely enough room for roses and fresh herbs… 60m²)

1 Like

Bohnenkraut sure sounds like savory. If I recall correctly, summer savory is an annual, and more delicate in flavor than winter savory, which is a hardy perennial. Definitely good with beans. It’s also something that the deer herd that regularly traverses my yard won’t eat, so, y’know, bonus.

1 Like

These little bastards are the bane of my life…

2 Likes

We have wild strawberries in our garden. They are everywhere.

With the lockdown we’ve finally had time to attack them, but they keep sprouting up.

That and what we think are baby Ash trees. 2 doors down have a stupidly big tree that they refuse to cut. I’ve been tempted with flaming arrows from a longbow but I think they would know it was us!!

3 Likes

This seems like a bonus to me :grin:

1 Like

I’m going to hazard a guess that those wild strawberries have yellow flowers instead of white? If so, you’ve got mock strawberries, one of my weedy nemeses. Right up there with quickweed (Galinsoga) and any grass that sends out runners. The little fruits are edible but insipid, and the plants are tenacious. Grrr.

If you happen to have real wild strawberries - or an infestation of Bergman’s Wild Strawberries - well, then you might as well enjoy!

Yep, yellow. The fruit is like bullets.

1 Like

Hmm… decidedly less appealing :frowning:

1 Like

Bullets might have more flavor.

My favorite rose now is in full bloom. Like every year, it waited to get really going in mid may which coincides with the weather phenomenon we call the “Eisheiligen” (The Saints of Ice) which always happens in mid-may. No matter the weather before or after you get freezing temperatures at night…

I don’t have much of a green thumb but I planted this the week we moved into our home in July 2007 and it’s only ever given me joy. This is the healthiest rose in my garden, it has none of the illnesses or pests the others tend to get and I never do much with it, I only remove the fruit in the fall.

9 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

That is beautiful!

1 Like

It’s not nearly as much as I want, but my potted flowers and spiderwort are just thriving this year.

6 Likes