Gaming Goals for 2021

So Yokohama Deluxe is in hand, Feudum is in the works (discussion happening) and I’ve decided to nix Forbidden Stars from the list entirely, so… not too bad, goal-wise. :grimacing::sweat_smile:

6 Likes

That is a goal for us as well. I am hopeful, but probably won’t know for a few months yet to see how the Covid numbers are.

2 Likes

This is pretty much my goal too. Not that I have a shortage of people who play games locally, it’s just that lack of free time and an overabundance of ambient virus means I don’t get to meet anyone for games.

A secondary goal is to try and play some games online in real-time. It was quite a shock to find that even when I had a miraculous block of 3 weeks of 9-5 time alone, I totally failed to schedule even one online game. Nobody I knew was free at the same time, and tentative steps into other online communities revealed that my tastes in games and online platforms are not shared by many. I ended up programming nearly the whole time. And now I find myself with no free time again, and wondering how I could have used my time better.

So yeah, playing games, that’s my goal.

8 Likes

I feel that. I’m just finishing three weeks of holiday which have comprised about 1 week of lovely relaxation (but achieving none of the useful things I’d intended), followed by 2 weeks of immense stress from house-hunting. We might actually end up with a new house as a result, but a big part of me still wishes that we’d spent this second fortnight (before going back to some fairly stressful jobs) in a much healthier manner.

4 Likes

I’m going to add a simple one: log my plays! I’ve never done it, and I don’t really know why. I love useless statistics!

[EDIT] I’ll beef this up a bit. My partner uses Instagram and, since March, had been participating in some kind of thread related to posting unique plays. Ostensibly, I am “on” Instagram but I find the general level of engagement on those platforms pretty banal; I think it’s pretty neat that she got to engage a little with some of our (now distant) friends who game, but otherwise it felt a bit like showing off game collections to the wider public to me.

With that said, she logged 28 unique titles played since March 2020, and just knowing that was delightful to me. So, I’ve backfilled my plays since NYE (31-12-20) and will henceforth attempt to log every play going forward, with added detail when time allows. Hopefully this will provide some fun annual insights.

… Particularly now that my collection is frozen! I don’t think I updated here (just in new purchases), but my grail game purchases finished up fast (amazing what a focused shopper can do) and I’m on a new game lockdown for at least a few years.

9 Likes

What are you using for the logging?

Just BGG. For whatever reason I’ve never tapped into any of the tools available there.

I use the unofficial BGG android app (that you have to side-band install). I’m so used to it, in fact, that I struggle to log my plays without it by using the actual BGG play logging form.

2 Likes

I use BG stats on Android and use it to sync with BGG. Highly recommended!

7 Likes

Yeah thats whst i use. Very easy and looks good.

1 Like

Inspired by your goal, I’ve been playing the heck out of on my phone and finally hit 300.

7 Likes

Very, very good. I got 251 earlier this week.

Don’t see how 300 is possible. I’m well impressed

The vast majority of the games are sub-250 (and many sub-200). I was playing 6+ games a day for the past month. : )

I’ve started getting 200+ more regularly, but occasionally crash and burn with a 110.

I’m always low on 1 section

No screenshot, but I just got 328! 4 foxes got 112 points

7 Likes

I found a local copy of Forbidden Stars in excellent condition and for an equally excellent price. Good enough to pop it back on the list, at the expense of a few games in my chop list. I’ll be picking it up this afternoon.

I had been musing with my friends about this being the grail blitz of 2021—I got all my long sought after games cleaned up in one month, basically! This is… simultaneously awesome and highly inconvenient. My friend’s reply was too good (if bleak) not to share:

It’s not the blitz of 2021. I’m seeing the results of the curse of 2020.

4 Likes

Game Logging: Scorepal (if you are on Android). It’s fantastic. There is an unrelated Scorepal on IOS that is considered worthless.

Goals: Sidereal Confluence.

That’s it. If I can get that many people, that committed, in a room together for that long, I’ll be happy.

5 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Sidereal Confluence - PBF Recruitment and Discussion

When it comes to reducing the number of games I’m buying, the pandemic has made a big change. Both in the obvious sense, in that when I can’t play with anyone there’s no reason to get new games, but also in that we are all looking forward to playing games that previously felt a bit tired.

My group isn’t as interested in breaking out new experiences than they are excited to get together and play the games that we all loved before things went wonky. Like a warm comfort blanket of familiar games.

While I was trying to find more games that work with a group of ~8 people in 2019, I’m now in a situation where any new games will have to wait because all our old favourites feel fresh again!

4 Likes

We just made plans for Azul and 7 Wonders for the week-end :slight_smile: TTS and BGA because still lockdown but I am glad nobody is going to have to remote-teach anything.

I was also looking for games for bigger groups in 2019… I didn’t get to play many of those…

4 Likes