Episode 96: Agonised about AGON

This month, Roger and Mike talk about what they’re up to and how on-line conventions are working for them, discuss GM nerves, and talk about how they choose a setting .

We mentioned

Ars Magica, GURPS Banestorm, Transhuman Space, Hornblower, GROGMEETish2020 Numenera, Agon, Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse Pathfinder, Roger’s scything notes, Dragonmeet, ConVocation, Airecon, Roger’s Monster Hunters game, The Americans, Colony, Reign of Steel, Exalted, Feng Shui. the Firefly fandom wiki, and GURPS Tales of the Solar Patrol.

We have a tip jar (please tell us how you’d like to be acknowledged on the show).

Music by Kevin MacLeod at incompetech.com.

3 Likes

Re. Dragonmeet - I didn’t think that booking for games opened until Monday (yesterday), so if you recorded a few days ago, I’m not sure how Mike found them booked up.

They had a page saying “here are all our open games”, with nothing on it. Dragonmeet’s announcement list seems to be a closely guarded secret, and they don’t copy its contents to their web site or even (usually) Twitter.

Dragonmeet’s Web presence and general announcements system ranges from “Worryingly late to update” to “Blitheringly hopeless”. Which is unfortunate at the best of times, and much more so in a year when they’re running online. Still, https://www.dragonmeet.co.uk/gaming.html links to a list of games… Following links from there took me to https://www.tickettailor.com/events/dragonmeet/454878#, and clicking on “Join the Guestlist” brought up a list of bookable games, with plenty of spaces remaining.

Yeah, this is not a well-designed or especially intuitive interface.

3 Likes

IMHO Dragonmeet 2020 was not an examplar of how to run an online con, but hey, there’s a pandemic on, I can cut them a lot of slack.
Pretty pictures do not make a great game, nor pretty spell names. RQ:G is pretty cos it’s had the artwork drawn to match the deep deep richness of all those years.
But I have been known to fall for it, despite the fact that I think 128 pages and some black and white illos is often best. Mork Borg disproves this theory and yet…
Modern D&D art direction, from listening to their podcasts, is really important to them, and often linked to, or has created, in setting stories and plots…
Oh how I would love to know how to run Reign of Steel.

“Robots are in control. You’re human survivors. Whatchawannado?”

One of the reasons I like the setting is that it gives many different answers to that question: depending on where the game is set you could be doing run-and-gun, or running a revolutionary cell, or fighting off bandits and rebuilding civilisation while seeing how close to the arbitrary limits you can get, or looting old-time museums for precious artworks…

I am getting down my copy from the shelf…
Should stop me buying Ars Magica again for a bit…

1 Like