Dream Crush Review - Those Who Are About to Gush Salute You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McpXAA8Kuxk

2021-06-23T19:05:43Z

Seems like this one didn’t get much traction, so lemme make a few points:

1. I feel like Quinns was a little more himself here. This was nice to see, especially in light of some ongoing discussion here (to which I agree) about the presentation lately

2. OMFG I have to have this game immediately.

There’s not much I feel like I really need to add to #2 there, but I’m gonna: My friends had a brief chat after the video launched yesterday, and one of the prevailing sentiments was that it looked like a spin on Cards Against Humanity. I feel like this is arguably true, but based on what I saw presented, I’m not actually getting that vibe at all. The first thing that came to mind, for me anyway, was Guess-Who-Decrypto. This is tantalizing.

As a secondary consideration, one of our friends had mentioned they were kind of “past” these types of games. Again, I had no real argument except to say that this is precisely the kind of game I pull out with my non-gaming friends (let’s qualify this: my cards and wits & wagers crowd) for a damn good time.

Anyway, I’m picking this up at the earliest opportunity. It is so hot I want to scream.

@Seryn sneaky ping just since you were involved.

5 Likes

I don’t see CAH at all. It feels like it has more in common with ‘what-am-I-thinking’ games like Mysterium, Dixit or Wavelength - games where the joy is in the conversations that are created rather than the game itself.

5 Likes

I agree. I think maybe the strain of the pandemic didn’t help the SUSD crew either. How can you make videos about a social hobby when social basically doesn’t exist? It seems like he was able to meet some people for gaming and it made him happy.

I need to check the price on that game before I consider it. I do have a group this would fit into quite well. but language is an issue and I doubt there is a German version.

6 Likes

Even a SUSD review can’t sell me on this one

Although, years ago, I did llike Billionaire Banshee, but no one in my group did

4 Likes

Yeah this screams ‘fun throw around for an evening or two, but don’t spend any money on it’ to me.

2 Likes

In the review comments someone pointed out that it’s very much an updated variant of the actual-80s game Heartthrob.

4 Likes

It’s kind of interesting if they’re leaning more into the restoration games territory after officially linking up for unmatched.

2 Likes

I was mostly distracted by who I thought was Elijah wood cameoing as Frances.

3 Likes

This feels like an intersection of multiple games.

• Fog of Love, yeah, but without the over-complex mechanics which felt to me as though they were trying to introduce role-playing without that scary characterisation stuff. Yeah, you can play your character, but you’re going into this relationship planning to win it.
  • Red Flags, Billionaire Banshee, etc., that whole “produce a weird combination of cards and get people to laugh at it” style of game that’s not quite as horrible as CAH. But those are all one-off laughs, and the iterated nature of gameplay here seems to be what makes it.
  • A competitive version of Mysterium as @Number1TheLarch says: you try to guess B’s compulsory hints before B guesses yours.

The SU&SD Effect has kicked in and boardgameprices shows it out of stock with everyone who might supply it to the UK.

3 Likes

The question is whether it was in stock before the review. Unmatched and Outpost 31 haven’t been well stocked, especially in Europe (seemed a lot better in the States?).

1 Like