Detective: City of Angels - The Best Crime-Solving Board Game?

My only issue with this whole thing was that if one person has to be the GM, why am I following these strict paths? I get that it can be useful, lots of groups probably don’t have a good gm, or at least they don’t know they have one yet. I just think that if one player is ‘sitting out’ and being a narrator of sorts, then the freedom of an RPG might just be a better game?

I would be interested in buying this and using it as bits and pieces to make setting up that RPG myself much easier with these lines to follow so nobody has to write a bunch of stuff from scratch, but it’s also £70 so I won’t be doing that.

4 Likes

The Chisel player isn’t a GM in this game. It’s still something of a facilitator role, but there is no real narrative to speak of. Just wanted to make sure that was clear. The full on-the-box experience is a 1 vs. All competitive deduction game.

3 Likes

I bought it a few months ago because Chaos Cards had it for £25 off and my partner and I had enjoyed similar games in Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective.

(Oh, and Quinns had it listed in his BGG ratings at a 9 at that time so this positive review was clearly incoming)

We’re doing the head-to-head mode which loses some competitive detective elements but keeps the Chisel role. So far it’s a good time. I’m playing the Chisel and have come to the conclusion that she was carrying me during our Sherlock Holmes sessions. She is a super sleuth.

(And yes, the box is MASSIVE)

3 Likes