Curious Acquisitions (Recent Purchases)

A generous Christmas gift:

Also from Melsonion Arts Council. Luxurious and unnecessary but very nice indeed.

3 Likes

Ooh baby. I could really use that right now, actually.

[EDIT]

Ahhhh, Acid Death Fantasy arrived safe and sound, and with it this:

That’ll be it from me until a couple of Kickstarted zines come in, so I’ll live vicariously through the rest of you a while. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I have been staring at Mausritter since just before Christmas, haven’t quite committed to picking it up yet. How is the boxed set?

I haven’t had a chance to do much more than peek at the contents, but it’s lovely. The box is really sturdy, and has plenty of extra room for the tokens once they’re all punched, so it’s useful for travel. You get a GM screen, a tri-fold adventure and setting, the token sheets (Mausritter has a really neat inventory system based on chit pulls), a nice fat pad of character sheets (:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:), and of course the book itself. I wish it came with a cute bag to draw from, but I guess I’ll just need to source a Crown Royal bag for it.

My book had some unfortunate warping on the covers. The package was ice cold when it arrived, so I guess it didn’t like that much. I thought maybe the mousehole cover was the culprit, but the rear cover warped as well. Nothing a little time and pressure can’t fix, and everything else was flawless.

Anyway I’m excited to tuck into the contents. The system has some really neat GM tools I’m excited to read up on (and explore).

1 Like

I found a good price on eBay and now I have a copy of Everway. I don’t know that I’ll ever use it but I’m looking forward to browsing and reading it.

5 Likes

I never knew Everway existed until your post @WolfeRJ and now I also own a copy! A very cheap, used copy I should add (it seems a new edition is being kickstarted this February?). To me, card-based storytelling that’s not based around combat and artwork that celebrates diversity feels pretty unique for 25 years ago. Is this actually the case? Was there anything else like it back then?

The gates between spheres and fortune/vision decks make me think of the parallel worlds and alethiometer of Philip Pullman’s Dark Materials series… I wonder if anyone has tried that as an RPG setting?

Also, while I’m not usually a fan of playing superheroes, I’ve just bought John Harper and Sean Nittner’s Agon 2nd edition… about ancient Greek superheroes! My husband recently finished reading the Odyssey, and now I’m reading it, so I got inspired. Agon seems to be fairly fast paced, cutting straight to the heroic bits. My daughter suggested half-jokingly that we lighten the tone by playing in the style of Goblin Quest (our family’s RPG touchstone apparently!). I’ll let you know if we make that work…

5 Likes

I must give full credit that I missed Everway during its actual release although it would have been right in my wheelhouse. The discussions of it among Whartson Hall, IRTwD, and the brief but memorable and missed Desert Island Dungeons podcast drew my attention to it.

Phillip Pullman is in my mind on this as well as Chronicles of Amber and DC comics’ Vertigo imprint Sandman series.

Apropos of nothing, I was lucky to meet Phillip Pullman at an Oxford pub while in the UK as a student back in 1998. We spent most of the time talking about comic books.

3 Likes

My copy of Gradient Descent arrived (for the second time after a “packing tape mishap” on the first attempt), which is a megadungeon for Mothership. This included a fabulous iron-on “Certified Human” patch I’m gonna need to put on something cool. I’ve barely even read into this system yet, but here I am with all the first party books to date (to say nothing about the 3rd party PDFs). Hope I like it… :grimacing:

2 Likes

Just finished reading Last Fleet (PbtA), which is sort of Battlestar Galactica with the serial numbers filed off. They’ve invented their own alien menace to replace the Cylons, which is a bit more flexible for gameplay than the “there are only 12 models of cylon” canon in BG. Anyone can get grabbed by the aliens and duplicated, Invasion of the Body Snatchers style.

I soooo want to play this. (Play,not run). I was spawning character ideas as I read it. Unlikely to happen, as all the regular groups are in the middle of things.
Maybe someone will run it at North Star Online (science fiction themed con) in May?

5 Likes

For those of you with Troika, this might be of interest

3 Likes

I got my copy of Magical Kitties Save the Day in the mail today, and the first thing I did was trash a stretch goal. Maybe I wasn’t paying enough attention but when I saw the package would be felt-lined I had imagined just the box itself (you know, double up for a dice tray). Nope, vac-tray.

Anyway, it’s fine, it holds all the kitty treats and cards/dice, but it doesn’t hold all the printed material (I ordered the additional Mars book), so out it goes. Honestly for an RPG with a box, I’m more concerned about being able to stuff in stationery, etc. anyway so I was surprised to see the insert.

It’s a heavy little box and really dense with original material, so I’ll be having fun poring over it for the next little while.

1 Like

https://iglootree.com/ is a new London-based (online only?) shop that is stocking a whole load of RPGs, as well as weird comics and unusual books. Seems great, so I put in an order for the above along with a couple of comics and Vaults of Vaarn. I expect I’ll end up getting some more from here soon…

5 Likes

Cubicle7 keep hitting the high notes with their Warhammer releases. Some great little PDFs (Patrons of the Empire - 4 characters that can serve as patrons/mentors with full backgrounds and motivations and lots of adventure hooks, for example) and the comtinuing Enemy Within campaign books remain top notch. Covid really hit their printing schedule so hopefully they can hurry up the hard copy versions (I have 6 books in pdf awaiting their hard copy versions! And that was eighr, up until a few days ago) cos they are things of beauty. Part of me wishes I’d splashed out on the Collector’s edition but £600 for 10 books is just too much for me!

2 Likes

Visiting the in-laws in the city, and with the wee one offloaded for some childfree time, I had a little meander around some shops to look at physical products in the flesh. Was very good in resisting several boardgames. Not so good in resisting the lure of the well produced RPG books - a copy of Vaesen by Free League, along with the first supplement was too tempting. Gothic Nordic horror based on unfamiliar folklore and mythology, along with some absolutely cracking artwork; I’m really looking forward to reading this.

3 Likes

Oh wow is that ever up my alley. I’d be incredibly interested in hearing your thoughts for the game as a platform for one-shots. Being able to run weird, morbid fairy tale sessions is the first thing that I’d want to do with it.

[EDIT] I’d also be curious to know a bit about the system, but I’m surely about to figure that out when I start furiously clicking. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I know that for a campaign the central premise is that the investigators are members of a club/society that operate out of a manor house. The house itself gets upgraded as time progresses to aid all the members (i.e. new tomes in the library for example), which I think should help a degree of drop in/out play, and for the inevitable character loss.

1 Like

Hoo boy were they off the mark on this one! Night Yeast 2 finally made it home. The reprint of Volume 1 was unexpectedly shipped separately, so I can probably expect that on Monday. This is a weird, weird book. Very neat!

[EDIT]

And here she is, squeaking in at the end of the day. (Image from interior, slight crop/detail).

2 Likes

I’ve ordered more Troika which is out soon.

Currently on a small pre-order discount in case anyone else is equally bound to pick up every Troika book… I really dig the world and writing of these, and this one is a little whodunit!

2 Likes