Crunchy Euros & Abstracts - AwSHUX Previews

2021-10-22T15:13:06Z

1 Like

Crunchy Euro is usually not for me, but genuinely abstract can beā€¦ itā€™s thematic disconnection that annoys me.

Bitoku ā€“ yes, a lovely Ʀsthetic. The plethora of spaces makes me think initially of A Feast for Odin reimagined as a dice-placement game. I really like the modifiable board and player mats. Chance I will ever play this: almost none.

Mythic Mischief ā€“ thatā€™s not abstract, and it doesnā€™t seem super crunchy either. Does look like fun, though, in spite of the uninspiring setting; looks a bit like a smaller version of the dispiriting Wildlands, without the whole ā€œyou canā€™t do that obvious thing because you donā€™t have the right cardā€ bit. Shame about all the plastic, mind.

Icaion ā€“ heavy on the iconography, and the plastic, and the names just sound silly; indeed the whole theme just sounds like made-up words. But it may well appeal to people who arenā€™t me.

Fleet: The Dice Game ā€“ itā€™s probably unfair that I was put off Fleet by the original game. At least this one is actually about fishing rather than just getting fishing licences.

Isle of Cats (Sovranti) ā€“ goodness that looks bad, very choppy. Would I rather have no visible opponent, or an opponent staring dead-eyed at me?

Brick & Mortar ā€“ I am resolutely unseduced by the art. I like the bidding system, and the wheels. Quite intrigued; Iā€™ll play this if I see it.

Termite Towers ā€“ doesnā€™t grab me but Iā€™m not sure why.

2 Likes

I waffled a bit about backing Mythic Mischief when the campaign was live. Making overproduced games is their thing I guess. I ended up passing because I only ever played Moonrakers a couple times so far and I also passed on Veiled Fate (but I am eagerly waiting for reports on that one).

Even for me this looks too much. Someone wrote somewhere itā€™s like Studio Ghibli meets Lacerda and while the asthetic is lovely, the gameā€“after watching Radho do his thing for 10 minutesā€“is a pass for me. I would play if someone else brought it to the table but the likelihood of that is ʐ<0

Yeah, no. I am waiting to find time for an actual gamenight at the friendsā€™ place who got the physical game for her birthday (from me and a few others).

Well, itā€™s termites?

Ahhh, I need to find the time to watch these videos.

I was expecting way better from Tomā€™s mention on the podcast. I donā€™t think itā€™s awful but itā€™s not winning any awards from me!

1 Like

Mythic Mischief looked like the best of this lot, to me. Seems like it would be silly fun, but with a good degree of strategy with the asymmetric abilities.

Iā€™m super intrigued by Bitoku. I just watched all the vids, and thatā€™s one of two games that REALLY stuck with me (the other being Somewhere Under The Raindow).

1 Like