Comfort movies - what works for you

Ooh, Big Trouble in Little China definitely qualifies as comfort viewing! I missed that one in my list.

5 Likes

Oh, and as a genre of its own, Tarantino movies that are comfort viewing are definitely Kill Bill vol.1, Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds

1 Like

And it’s not a bad game either (I don’t own it, but I’ve played it a couple of times)

4 Likes

Good to see some love for The Big Lebowski, that movie still slays me. One of the funnier stories about it is the changes they made for language for tv. One of the lines became “This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!”

5 Likes

I think that scene may be even funnier with that dialogue.

2 Likes

That is… horrendous.

2 Likes

Oh there’s a certain glory to it.

https://youtu.be/LCcKBcZzGdA

1 Like

It’s up there with the classic “Now, that’s a real badge, I’m a real cop and this is a real firing gun…” edit from Lethal Weapon (original scene linked below). Oh, a real firing gun. I see.

As for comfort movies, I can always watch Casablanca, The Princess Bride or Blazing Saddles but I don’t think I ever turn to a movie if I’m feeling down or stressed.

3 Likes

I have to admit, as much as I can usually separate the artist from the art, I struggle to watch Mel Gibson these days…

And it is a shame cos I used to love Lethal Weapon. Maybe he was so good at playing crazy because he’s completely nuts himself.

5 Likes

Damn, I can’t believe I didn’t include most of these too. Also, it’s nice to see someone else appreciates Top Secret. I find most people don’t even know about it. That also reminded me of one more that’s definitely on my list Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

3 Likes

Wow, I also can’t believe I forgot this one. And really pretty much any/all Mel Brooks. But especially this one and Men in Tights.

2 Likes

I love Top Secret, it still cracks me up

3 Likes

Top Secret is a gem. And showed that Val Kilmer probably could have had a music career if he had wanted one.

2 Likes

I think there might be some history there with Spanish TV and movie rights, but they re-run very often the ZAZ movies (Airplane 1 & 2 and Top Secret) and during my teens and early twenties, I probably saw Top Secret a good dozen times. It’s so silly it works. And I can see is not working only for me.

Thanks for bringing up Mel Brooks. Young Frankenstein and History of the World part I are my favourites. I admit Blazing Saddles makes me cringe a lot.

1 Like

Blazing Saddles did not age well for me either. Young Frankenstein is still great!

2 Likes

Pretty much any of the Sandra Bullock movies.

Princess Bride, Stardust, and A Knight’s Tale.

Others (we have an enormous DVD/Blu-ray collection) would include:

Outlander (SF Beowulf); The 13th Warrior (Beowulf by Michael Crichton); Dog Soldiers; Prince of Persia; Salomon Kane; The Mask of Zorro; The Mummy; Pirates of the Caribbean.

Plus a few more that elude me at this moment.

2 Likes

I hope I give you the shits! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

There is no spoon. :wink:

2 Likes

Duck Soup, Jaws, Chimes at Midnight, Animal Crackers, My Neighbour Totoro, Pom Poko, Laputa, Tokyo Godfathers, any Zatoichi movie, The Snyder cut of Justice League and far too many others to list.

2 Likes

Please, have a cookie :slight_smile:

2 Likes