Call of Cthulhu: Dark Carnival

@Shimmin has been running David A. Hargrave’s 1984 adventure – even the charitable describe it as “all setting, no plot”, but after a few bashes with the Librarians-and-Leviathans scenario spanner… it meets us.

Session 1: They Say He Worked With Hanrahan: In the 1950s, three intrepid agents travel to Providence to find a missing scientist, Should be easy enough. Why did they send three of us?

Session 2: Walther PPK, Shaken Not Stirred: Investigations continue. Why is the Fun House next to the Tunnel of Terrors?

Session 3: Non-Poisson: We make a useful contact. Probably he will betray us and we’ll all die horribly.

Session 4: He Might Be Foreign: After the Not At All Sinister Speech, we attempt to gather information about our target. Some of it may even be valid.

Session 5: Blue-Tinted Hands Reaching Up From the Pan: Every adventure has a dungeon.

Session 6: Don’t You Generally Throttle People In Toilets?: What are we here to do again? Not to fight the monster, thanks.

4 Likes

Wow, David A. Hargrave as in “Arduin, bloody Arduin!” David A. Hargrave?

Unless there were two David A. Hargraves who wrote RPGs…

According to the Yoggie Wiki, his other CoC adventure is Black Devil Mountain (first in The Asylum and Other Tales, 1983). I’ve heard people being quite scathing about that too.

2 Likes

Not surprising, really. His usual approach to gaming never struck me as particularly suited to cosmic horror. Visceral, turbo-charged, gore-splattered, bionic horror, sure…

Unless there were two David A. Hargraves who wrote RPGs…

Well, there were three Steve Jacksons in the industry at one point :grin:

3 Likes

By a terrifying conjunction of cosmic events, I JUST finished listening to all the Hanrahan episodes again. I finished immediately before this episode posted. Hold me, I’m scared.

3 Likes

Hanrahan Will Return. Some day when @Lordof1 is expecting to run a sensible game…

2 Likes

I didn’t know what @Lordof1 has ever expected to run a sensible game?

But I certainly hope he returns. There are a lot of people in the world who need to get detonated.

3 Likes

I hear there’s a @Lordof1 in continuum 87631, who runs a doubleplus good campaign on Airstrip One, but he’s very different to me.

2 Likes

Oh, him. Isn’t he related to the famous and celebrated Mick Narsh?

Hanrahan needs to show up in multiple settings across time and space. The Eternal Anarchist!

1 Like

Session 2: Walther PPK, Shaken Not Stirred: Investigations continue. Why is the Fun House next to the Tunnel of Terrors?

2 Likes

Session 3: Non-Poisson: We make a useful contact. Probably he will betray us and we’ll all die horribly.

2 Likes

Session 4: He Might Be Foreign: After the Not At All Sinister Speech, we attempt to gather information about our target. Some of it may even be valid.

2 Likes

I like the creepy violins intro… very nice. Royalty free creepiness, I presume? :wink:

1 Like

It’s by far the best kind of creepiness.

2 Likes

Yeah, that one’s Unseen Horrors out of the Incompetech (Kevin MacLeod) catalogue.

Nice website! I quite liked the “Burn the world waltz” (in D minor, no less). More Nordic metal than I was expecting, but could be good for an action-oriented game intro!

1 Like

Session 5: Blue-Tinted Hands Reaching Up From the Pan: Every adventure has a dungeon.

5 Likes

Session 6: Don’t You Generally Throttle People In Toilets?: What are we here to do again? Not to fight the monster, thanks.

4 Likes

Nice title! :sunglasses: