Boardgames on the iPad?

I’ve picked up Galaxy Trucker to start with, which has a theme that sounds interesting.

6 Likes

I cannot recommend the Street Masters app enough. It is such a good game, and such a good adaptation, I have been playing it constantly since I bought it. Very few bugs, the gameplay is so good and it allows you to take a quick and fun game and make it even quicker (and fun-ner?!)

It isn’t necessarily cheap, doesn’t include all of the stretch goal fighters and bosses, or the expansions yet - but I think if it does well enough they will expand it.

4 Likes

Most has already been at least named. I won’t probably list anything new, but maybe offer some distillation?

First off: App Sliced This is a site that tracks price drops of apps and in-app purchases. If you make an account you can set up alerts and it will email you whenever your apps hit the target price. (Also has history of price drops so you know what to expect). Saved me tons of money over the last 10 years.

Secondly, what if you don’t have years to pick at the sales and eventually buy everything? Here’s what I consider the best (along with the common sale price that you might get once or twice a year).

Quick / 2 player

• Jaipur (1.99)
  • Patchwork (1.99)
  • Star Realms (free for easy AI, 4.99 for multiplayer / other AI, another 4.99 for Frontiers)
  • Silver (free - icon looks like a Viking)

Little more robust:

• Race for the Galaxy (6.99, never on sale)
  • Isle of Skye (1.99)
  • Tichu (2.99?)

Brainy

• Tigris & Euphrates (0.99)
  • Agricola (2.99?)
  • Terra Mystica (6.99)

Skirmish

• BattleLore (6.99)
  • Eclipse

As other posts have revealed, there are a ton more great ones. It was hard to limit these lists, but I think these are the ones I play / respect the most.

2 Likes

I haven’t played Eclipse 2nd Dawn on my iPad yet, but their first iteration, tragically, was almost unplayable in many ways. The “missile boat” problem wasn’t fixed (in the app… they fixed it eventually in the board game version, and hopefully those fixes have stayed for the 2nd Edition), the computer’s turns took forever, and the AI was chaotic (sometimes totally weaksauce, and sometimes an unstoppable juggernaut).

Hopefully the new version fixes those things!

Galaxy Trucker is probably the best board game app I own, but as others have said Star Realms is very, very good, and Suburbia is pretty strong. I wasn’t crazy about the Castles of Mad King Ludwig app, but I think it was okay.

1 Like

They made several revisions even before it went down and came back. You could remove missles, for example.

Still not the best implementation, but solidly (barely?) good enough.

1 Like

Looks like Istanbul on IOS is on sale today. 4.99.

Edit: Plus Sentinels of the Multiverse and One Deck Dungeon

2 Likes

Today they’ve added:
Steam: Rails to Riches (2.99)
Charterstone (7.99, down from 9.99. Meh)

2 Likes

And today:
Aeon’s End: 9.99 → 4.99

1 Like

Is that on Steam?

IOS, but often a game will go on sale everywhere at once (if available on other platforms).

2 Likes

Must be the season. Today on IOS:
Lost Cities - FREE

1 Like

Also apparently there’s a new app for Fury of Dracula but reddit was already complaining about it not being as good as a game that’s on the table because Dracula gets better with people “acting” a bit :smiley: so this is more of an fyi …

2 Likes

Still, the ability to play Fury on your own cannot be dismissed casually.

1 Like

More sales today:
Mystic Vale: 1.99 (I found this game mediocre but worth $2)
Smash Up: 1.99 (IMHO miserable game and miserable implementation. Maybe just the implementation, never played on a table)
Talisman: 1.99 (Fun for all the wrong reasons. I play too long and then hate myself)

2 Likes

mystic vale is really a neat little Deckbilder with nice comboing. can recommend wouldn’t buy physical version but on ipad works fine

Huge day here:
Ticket to Ride: $7 → $5
Terraforming Mars: $9 → $6
Mysterium: $4 → $3
Pandemic: $5 → $3
Smallworld: $5 → $3
Scythe: $9 → $6
Love Letter: $4 → $3
Carcassonne: $5 → $3
Isle of Skye: $4 → $1
Le Havre Inland Port (2p): $4 → $1

You’d have to be crazy to pass on Isle of Skye.

4 Likes

Nice, Isle of Skye is also discounted on the Play Store, as are most of these, some even cheaper (Pandemic - $2.50, Love Letter - $1.79, some others). Grabbed IoS!

Just a heads up - not sure what the occasion is but nearly every boardgame ever published for mobile is on sale today, at least on the US apple store. Assume it carries. Even those that have never gone on sale before like Castles of Burgundy, Indian Summer, Cottage Garden, and Viticulture.

Scythe, Fury of Dracula, Twilight Struggle, Terra Mystica, Isle of Skye, Istanbul, One Deck Dungeon, Aeon’s End, Love Letter, Carcassonne, Lords of Waterdeep, TF Mars, Mysterium, Small World, Pandemic, 8 Minute Empire, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Steam, Ticket to Ride, Mystic Vale. Some others as well.

In other news, I highly recommend any Kingdom Rush (Frontiers is best) and Agent A if you’ve never heard of/played them (both also on sale).

5 Likes

Just a heads up, Carson City the card game is released and free on both ios and android for the next week.

Part of their Carson City the board game gamefound push.

2 Likes