Antiquity, the most ridiculous game to PBF, beginners-only game recruitment and discussion

Once all the city build instructions are in, I will post images of all four cities, update the player order (almost certainly no change from what it is now), and players can start giving me countryside build orders.

3 Likes

Is this player aid the correct one?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/geekdo-files.com/bgg210246?response-content-disposition=inline%3B%20filename%3D"Antiquity_PlayerAid_US_A4_1.3.pdf"&response-content-type=application%2Fpdf&X-Amz-Content-Sha256=UNSIGNED-PAYLOAD&X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAJYFNCT7FKCE4O6TA%2F20200706%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20200706T204609Z&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Expires=120&X-Amz-Signature=7a4b8a06591039af3be87bd66efa8c649ffcb99c5158cbc36ec6e3b93393ee8c

Link doesnā€™t work, but probably? Also posted on the opening post of the game thread.

There is a player aid from an earlier edition that looks a bit different but has the same information on it.

A couple of questions. Iā€™m looking to send out woodcutters - locations 20-20 and 24-20. I believe they will give me a supply of 1 wood per round. My reading of the rules says they will harvest the whole wooded area, 1 round at a time - is that correct? If so it looks like the one going on 24-20 will collect wood for 8 rounds.

Second question - I will build houses and carts within my city. Do the woodcutters (and I suspect mine) have any presence within the city, or are they countryside only?

Finally (for now) - the Faculty of Biology requires 2 stone to build (for example), if I only have 1 mine, do I need storage to get a second stone?

1 Like

Each woodcutter will harvest their hex and adjacent hexes only. So looking at the map, those numbers are definitely wrong 24-20 will get you 3 wood for a net gain of 2 wood. 20-20 is the same. 19-19 and 25-20 would net you more. You are right that you only harvest 1 a turn, unless you have a manned Forced Labour.

The houses give you a man each. The man is placed on a cart. In the next-but-one phase, any man on a cart can be placed on the map to build something. That man will stay on the map until harvesting is complete in 0-7 turns. Countryside buildings have no presence in cities.

The only ways to get 2 stone are 2 stone mines, 1 3+hex stone mine with Forced Labour, or using storage/San Christofori/Santa Maria.

If these answers change where you want to place your city, thatā€™s totally fine.

Thatā€™s where Iā€™ve got it wrong - its adjacent, I was looking for a chain of wooded areas.

If others donā€™t mind, Iā€™ll have another look at the map. Did you say my city could go over water?

Thatā€™s right. Only your first city may be placed on water.

Thanks

What about over an explorer token? Iā€™m thinking I might be better moving up and left one hex, but that puts the top of my city on top of the token

Token is discarded unseen. Fine if you go for a 3 cart start and have a quick path to Biology, or fish.

1/4 city builds received.

Note: red, purple, and blue are all positioned in the middle of mountain ranges, but the mountain ranges are not split by this. For example, a stone mine on one side of the city would mean only a stone mine could be built on the other side.

2 Likes

(I had worked that out! Hurrah!)

Has anyone elseā€™s brain melted yet?

6 Likes

This is just the beginning, young padawan.

Soon youā€™ll be like ā€œI donā€™t know where to put this bleeping pollution!!ā€

3 Likes

A game of Antiquity is very much an analog of growing up. Early on, you have no idea what youā€™re doing; there are so many options and want to chase them all.

A little bit later, you realize nothing you thought would be easy is even possible.

Later, you will be cursing the you from the past as you deal with the reckless decisions you made so frivolously back then.

3 Likes

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop smoking

2 Likes

c52b3f53d52f4c2d757d9a38ec29ea47

1 Like

I was going to go with that.

*not going to derail this thread with quotes from Airplane

2 Likes

Ok questions. I place a worker on a cart space in my city, can they then build something in the countryside building phase immediately after?

If I place a university between buildings that build in the countryside when manned do they work without additional workers?