Antiquity, the most ridiculous game to PBF, beginners-only game recruitment and discussion

I wasn’t sure about this. Let me ponder.

Dangit, I thought I was just not seeing the yellow highlight due to the tones of the tile.

I’ve already made quite a hash of this. I’ll keep my city where it is, but would request permission to build 2 carts, an explorer, and a granary instead of 3 carts.

OK. Sure you don’t want to move to… 9-5, for example? (I’m not saying it is a better location in any absolute sense, it depends on what you want to build)

Changing city build in response to seeing 3 explorers seems more along the lines of reacting to new in-game information than new rule information, but I am happy to allow either or both.

Ahh, I had not considered that new information has been revealed (which may go to show you how bad I am at focusing on the minutiae of play-by-post games).

I think centering on 9-5 is a satisfactory move as well and doesn’t allow privileged information to potentially influence my city-build decision.

Please note that “happy to allow either or both” really means just that. I was pointing out that new information had been revealed, not making an argument that one or the other amendment is “better”.

When you are ready, please make a final decision with all three phases of information: setup location, city build, and countryside build, and I’ll correct the game thread.

I understand that you are willing to allow either, but I would not like to beg that allowance from the other players. Hopefully, the others will permit me to relocate my city.

If I’m allowed to relocate my city, I will send the following:
(I think I’m picturing this correctly)

• Woodcutter to 7-3
  • Woodcutter to 9-7
  • Fishery (fish) to 7-6,7-7

Otherwise, if my city stays:

• Woodcutter to 11-7
  • Woodcutter to 5-8
  • Fishery (fish) to 10-5,10-6

I’m happy with all of this.

1 Like

I’m taking all responsibility for allowing corrections, the other players don’t get a say (I know they would all allow it anyway). This way you don’t have to worry about asking them =P

Any reason for 7-3 woodcutter over 6-4 or 8-3? The former makes full use of the woodland, the latter avoids losing the exploration token. Note that reserving a 3-hex woodland area is a totally valid thing to do for various reasons, so my suggestions are not necessarily better than your stated move.

2 Likes

Ahh! My reasoning was that I thought the exploration token would survive for me to be able to grab later. With that in mind, I will beg permission, yet again, to change my order for Woodcutter to 8-3.

1 Like

OK, the game thread will be updated soonish.

This tripped up both RossM and pillbox, so I’ll reiterate: placing a fishery, inn, city, good, or even pollution on an exploration token discards the token unseen. Any kind of harvesting man will replace an exploration token in own and adjacent hexes with a good (+grass/pollution).

1 Like

If there’s anything unexpected in that post, please let me know. Any requests for changes to countryside builds will be accepted. I noted that all 3 fisheries were placed to harvest one less fish than possible, but assumed you all had reasons for that, such as saving a water hex for a future luxury goods harvest, or wanting a man back a turn earlier.

1 Like

Before I give my woodcutter coordinates, does it make any difference which one I harvest first? They are all adjacent to my woodcutter token so I shouldn’t think so

1 Like

You’d think so, right? Actually, you might find harvesting decisions having significant consequences in the game. Not always, but even early, if you want to maximize a farm area, for instance, which wood you take might be important.

1 Like

Map corrected, please let me know your harvest instructions.

Let’s keep everything that isn’t an update from me or an instruction from you in this thread.

1 Like

@Whistle_Pig Are you certain about this? 5-19 is a mountain hex, and unlikely to be mined any time soon, while 5-15 will be lost if you build a mine on 4-16. Apologies for second-guessing you.

EDIT: actually, this is probably too much from me. I have gone ahead with the explore, and will refrain from suggestions in the future, unless suggestions are requested.

It’s weird, but I think I’ve got my next turn planned out!

2 Likes

Sorry, forgot to turn on highlighting, the map has been updated.

As you can see, 26-3 and 26-4 are not in your zone of control, so pollution cannot be placed there.

@RossM 26-4 is still not a viable place for pollution - water hexes are not in your zone of control unless you are manning a harbour.

If this changes where you want your fishery, that’s fine.

Yep twigged what was wrong. See new post in main thread

Do I have to declare what I am collecting from my fisherman?