Anticipated games

Through the desert will be back! In a box that fits in my small games shelf.

8 Likes

I tried the combined Spice Road and Eastern Wonders. It takes two elegant lightweight games and makes it feel like you’re playing a less elegant but still pretty lightweight game. I think Quinns & Paul were right - if you buy both you’re probably going to pick your favourite and just play that one. Personally, I preferred Eastern Wonders.

I liked Spice Road for a few games but then the maths of it became too transparent. I don’t like mathsing my way to victory, but it was so obvious that yellow = 1, red = 2, green = 3, brown = 4. So the way to win is to try and get the cards that generate the biggest yield. If you focus on that in the first half, the second half of the game plays itself, and the theme just melts away in the meantime.

In Eastern Wonders, the choice of pathing and bonuses at least feel like meaningful choices.

8 Likes

Oooh! Allplay, formerly BoardGameTables.com, is a great choice for this one. It’s also a local, small business that I feel I can justify me supporting even though I already own Camel Go and Moana Go.

6 Likes

I can justify supporting them as they’re a small business local to a forum buddy I have.

4 Likes

I don’t like every game they release but I love them as a publisher. Their games are the kind of light games that I end up enjoying a lot. Q.E. is fragile and I agree with the criticisms, but that remains a “fragile but beautiful” game to me. Then, Bites was a hidden stock-holding game with ants. Really pleased that they are making a small box Through the Desert, especially glad that they kept the Z-Man river map variant. The Windrider/FFG/Z-Man box is such a joke. Even Tigris & Euphrates can fit in a Babylonia-size box.

5 Likes

Gah. I suppose I should have waited after all. If that has good camel components, I’ll be well annoyed…

5 Likes

New box set and other Innovation news coming next week! | BoardGameGeek

Innovation: Ultimate, baby!!! :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Absolutely valid reason. Stealing that.

I already have a few of their games–love Factory Funner best–and I am keen on a few other ones. I backed Sail recently. I like their productions. And their box sizes!

2 Likes

They’ve been talking about this one for years. Now there is finally a BGG entry :slight_smile:
Best comment from BGG “That’s a funny looking Gaia Project Expansion…”

I agree more with the person who said “Terra Mystica 3.0”

This will be the hottest table at SPIEL 2023 if they manage to get it there.

4 Likes

I was going to slow down on buying Marvel Champions expansions, and then… they announced Cable and Domino with Deadpool as an ally. Take my money, etc.

4 Likes

And I see Juggernaut and Mister Sinister on the cover. And just when I had all the boxed sets…

4 Likes

Take Tricks to Make Pies, Collect Mushrooms, Go on Pilgrimages, and More | BoardGameGeek News | BoardGameGeek

More trick taking/shedding games. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Hang on, I’m busy trying to get Boast or Nothing!

Slow down.

3 Likes

Can you ping me every time a trick taker/ climber comes up please? You’re much more plugged in than I am

6 Likes

Perhaps we could have a dedicated new or interesting trick-takers thread, since they seem really popular right now? (I’m asking, rather than creating, because I’m a better consumer than producer. :stuck_out_tongue:)

5 Likes

The Daily Trickster - literally any news about trick taking and shedding/climbing games - Boardgames - tekeli.li forums, including unofficial SU&SD discussion

Created the thread for any news we find and all sorts of discussion.

8 Likes

Altay: Dawn of Civilization | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

I saw this randomly. Paolo Mori co-design with a peculiar art style.

1 Like

The designer of Tetrarchia has a design journal about the work-in-progress sequel-of-sorts to that game:

I played quite a lot of solo Tetrarchia around the end of last year, and it’s got a lot going for it, but some undeniable flaws as well; so I’m curious to see where the designer takes things from here.

4 Likes

Well that got rid of my main obstacle in purchasing Bohnanza, but flowers?

4 Likes

What you don’t like silly beans? Banause :wink: