Anticipated games

I’m actually keen on Unfathomable. Not sure if I want to buy it immediately. I will wait for comparisons with BSG.

More Power Grid expansions: the North America/Europe will be available for us plebs who have the standard edition of PG. Plus, New Power Plants: Set 2

Free Ride from Friese. I mean, it has trains on the cover :eyes: :eyes:

Not sure about Clash of Cultures from Wizkids. But I’m keeping an eye on that one.

5 Likes

Huh. I didn’t realise I had a weakness for “glass - making theme / glass appearance game counters”, but apparently I do.

3 Likes

Oooh more Power Grid

2 Likes

I… I don’t think I’m excited about any board games coming down the pipeline right now…

Which is sad. Unfathomable looks kinda shiny, but I haven’t played Battlestar Galactica or Dead of Winter in years and years, so needing an updated version of those doesn’t seem necessary, ya know?

I have a copy of Blitzkrieg! set aside for myself at work and I may pick it up, and there are some new releases for Star Wars Legion that I’m kinda excited about (specifically Yoda and Wookies… I’m not crazy about the Wookie flyer-thing, but I’ll probably pick one up anyways because I’m a sucker) and a big stack of Battletech that I’m gonna bring home because I love me some stompy robots (despite still not playing the game yet)…

But other than that… I think I like my collection where it is. And that’s probably healthy, but also… a little sad?

Maybe it’s just anxiety about the coming holiday season (working at a game and toy store in November and December is rough). Maybe something will come out soon that will fire the imagination again… but right now I’d rather just play the games I own before we go into lockdown again.

(Edit)
Oooh, no, I take a bit of this back… there’s a new Dune game coming that I am legit excited about. Smaller, faster, but just as bitey? Yes please!

3 Likes

I’ve been feeling mostly like this since about… 2019ish I think? I have certainly acquired new games since then, but for the most part it’s been a matter of trying the game a few times, liking it, then buying it, rather than finding out about it well before I can have it.

(There are lots of exceptions of course. I hadn’t played Rallyman GT when I backed it, though I had played quite a bit of classic Rallyman.)

But I see Unfathomable and I think “I played Battlestar Galactica and didn’t rate it over The Resistance, and I owned and sold Dead of Winter”. I see Blitzkrieg! and I think “I’d like to try it out”. I see Imperium: Classics and I think “hmm, interesting, probably not for me”.

(Then I play Imperium: Classics and go “wow, must have this game”. :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

I wish I was getting there.

Last night, in a fit of “what else could I possibly do?” I checked out some people for potential geek-buddies and one of them had a list of what their game of the year was in their profile. I thought, “wow good idea”, I should do that.

And then I went through the years 2000+ (I later did the 90s backwards and got as far as 1992 before I ran out of games.) to find out what game I liked best each year. It became a mix of “game I liked back then” and “game I like from that year now” and wow 2005 was a bad year. In any case, the last 2 years I bought so many new games and yet it was comparably trivial to jot down my single best game for each. Yes, Beyond the Sun and Oath are really really great but other years were so much harder to determine with far fewer games to chose from…

So all that to say… I am hoping to eventually slow down. Because apparently the quality of stuff I buy isn’t getting better.

7 Likes

A friend of mine has designed a game which will be on Kickstarter next year. I did some of the play testing, and I think it’s a pretty good game :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Neat!

I wonder if James Churchill is finished with that box cover art? The woman in the red dress appears to be pasted into the picture in a way that doesn’t physically mesh with the rest of it.

What is she looking at?

Perhaps she’s looking wistfully at the clock, waiting for the end of her shift :laughing:

2 Likes

So over the weekend the rumors were confirmed, and Mantic Games announced Deadzone 3rd Edition.

I’ve been considering Deadzone for awhile since it seems to be a perfect mix of skirmish boardgame and full freeform miniatures skirmish game, at least for our taste; it has simplified movement of a boardgame, but the table presence and terrain aspects of a miniatures game.

Seems to be a great time to jump in as the new rules consolidate all of the FAQ’s and errata from the past 4/5 years, as well as some streamlined rules.

Could very well be an Xmas or bday gift for my son!

3 Likes

Thanks all, well played @yashima. I’m still not entirely sure what I was doing but it went better than my first game!

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: I felt like I kind of knew what I was doing after a few turns… somehow. It is lovely and if the card quality is any good I really want a paper version. I love deck builders and Art Nouveau and Impressionism and …

3 Likes

Definitely started to make sense later on. Thanks!

2 Likes

Did the market rating board only appear halfway through the game, or was I just not paying attention?

1 Like

I think it was there as a pop-up at the start? There were definitely requests in to make it permanent.

2 Likes

I did put that on my alpha feedback…

1 Like

So, when SUSD covered Fantasy Realms, I thought “oh, that might be fun!” But that art and, more importantly, those classically bad depictions of women in fantasy settings (though not the worst offender, still problematic) made me reluctant to track down a copy.

Lo! And behold:

Still not a great setting/theme to put in front of my partner, but she has watched ST:TNG and enjoyed it.

And, maybe, more to the point: I wonder what other games they might come up with in this series?

1 Like

Yes! Totally agree with you on the game sounded good but I was put off by the naked women art.

My husband and I are currently rewatching Next Gen, first time together, usually an episode right before bed each night, so this is perfect for us. If it does even reasonably well, I’m sure other themes could follow. As Munchkin, Love Letter, etc. have shown of late - rethemeing a card game to a popular franchise is apparently where the money is at.

1 Like

If they manage better illustrations I may consider buying a copy. But the gameplay didn’t capture me as it seemed to capture everyone else and the illustrations did the rest. I once saw some kind of mock up of Art Nouveau style cards for this. Would be an instant buy… because that’s what you do in the game: stare at your hand. At least the Red Rising cards are pretty to look at…

ps: Whoever wants to try it there is a fully scripted TTS mod where you can even solo the game against some kind of AI.

2 Likes