#222: Fumbling towards a New Normal

We don’t have free testing anymore (with the exception of some workplaces, I think)

1 Like

We have free RATS testing here in NZ, provided mostly by employers on request, who can request them from Health Centers. If unemployed, I believe you can still request them online from the government.

PCR tests are done privately.

1 Like

I think free testing here has been stopped as well. They stopped it last summer and then reintroduced it a month later when the fall wave began. And now it is stopped again.

Right now you don’t need tests for anything I think. The only restriction still in place is mask wearing at doctors/hospitals and public transport.

2 Likes

Update: the doctor refused to refer us, so no test. We literally cannot get our kids tested. Was just trying to do the right thing, but apparently Japan wants to keep people in the dark (and going to work, caring for the housebound elderly).

2 Likes

Fewer tests means fewer positive tests means we’re beating the disease. This does appear to be actual policy in several places now.

2 Likes

Update to the update: turns out I may have been mislead. What might have happened is that H misrepresented our situation on the phone, wanting to be blown off, and gone to a different doctor she knew would just prescribe some medicine. She doesn’t want a positive result to force time off work, until/unless someone in our family actually gets sick.

I’m not entirely cool with that, but not enough to fight about it. Seems like everyone is doing the same.

5 Likes