2024 Board Game Challenges!

Ha, same. More realistic anyway. Or not.

Here’s my stuff (no preselected games, they select themselves by me playing them)

Multiplayer 20x5:

• 7 Wonders Duel 2/5
  • Sail 2/5
  • Tinderblox 2/5
  • Cat in the Box 1/5
  • Mischwald 1/5
  • Lost Ruins of Arnak 1/5
  • Terraforming Mars the Dice Game 1/5
  • Star Wars Deckbuilding Thingy 1/5
  • more to come

Solo 10x10:

• Daybreak 15/10
  • Naturopolis 4/10
  • Terraforming Mars 4/10 (app games exclusively, I doubt I’ll go to the trouble to set it up when the app is really good)
  • Chomp 2/10 (I doubt this will stick, I like the X-opolis games far better for the same type of gameplay)
  • Grove 2/10 (lovely dice puzze, great traveling game)
  • Next Station London 2/10 (I play this on BGA on our 5 minute breaks during long meetings)
  • Planet Unknown 2/10
  • Sprawlopolis 2/10
  • Terraforming Mars the Dice Game 1/10
  • It’s a wonderful world 1/10

I made a challenge as well to play some of my unplayed games, so far:

• Chomp
  • Sail
  • Star Wars the Deckbuilding Game
5 Likes

Well, my challenge of playing two unplayed games per month is off to a rocky start, as I only got one to the table, namely Kiri-ai: the Duel.

Unless I count our play of Star Wars: Jabba’s Palace from New Year’s Eve…

What I really should do is aim to play some one-off games, like our one Exit game, or Echoes, something I can play and then get rid of or pass on to thin my collection a tiny bit. Two birds with one stone and all that.

Anyway, it was a busy month with a lot of canceled school days for the kids, meaning my wife was tired a lot and she does not like trying to learn new games when tired. I appreciate her even learning Kiri-ai. Here’s hoping February may be better, at least after we get through next week (we’ve got stuff going on).

5 Likes

Well I played the new version of Libertalia this January, so that is some progress :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Off the unplayed list:

• Freehand (demonstrator freebie)

It’s very light but quite fun: [players + 1] image cards, pick one and try to indicate it by copying it with your 30 identical cubes. Points for: being guessed on first round of guessing, guessing correctly on first or second round, being the only player to have picked a particular card (and it was guessed). 10 points to win, and you score them with your cubes, so it’s self-handicapping.

• Newsboys

Hex grid r&w, tick off X of symbol Y with some choice. Very tight scoring. Not sure I’ll keep it but quite fun; completely non-thematic.

3 Likes

Progress on my own challenge here!

We’d played:

Hit! (new)
Great Western Trail: New-Zealand (we actually moved this one to our classics list, since its foundation is a classic game)
Terraforming Mars (classic)
Quacks of Quedlinburg (forgotten)

We’ve since added:

Ticket To Ride: Rails & Sails (new)
Ark Nova (classic)

Look at us making progress!

For the record, I won our game of Ark Nova by about 20 points. We also played agame of Ticket To Ride begore, and I lost that by about 120 points, so it evens out, LOL

5 Likes

Off the unplayed list, we’ve played Expeditions and Trick of the Rails. We have Mage Knight and Antiquity planned for next weekend

7 Likes

January Results

10 X 10 Challenge

Game Month Total Status
Terraforming Mars 1 [1/10]
Total 1 1

Opportunity 50 x 2 Challenge

Game Month Total Status
Lost Ruins of Arnak 1 [1/2]
Progress 1%

KeyForge 100 Challenge
No progress

Netrunner 15 Challenge
Criminal 15%

[1/15]

Tekeli 20 Challenge
No progress

Easing into the year, no need to peak too soon.

Have a free-flowing February of gaming everyone!

5 Likes

I’ll be doing a 20x5 instead of a 10x10! - 27/100 done!

Game Plays
Brass Birmingham 4
Brass Lancashire 4
Cthulhu Wars 2
Dominant Species 0
Escape: Curse of the Temple 0
Feudum 0
Food Chain Magnate 3
Glory to Rome 2
Imperial/Imperial 2023 0
Impulse 0
MarraCash 0
Nokosu Dice 3
Pax Renaissance 4
Pax Transhumanity 2
Ride the Rails 0
Root 1
Irish Gauge 0
Santiago 0
Stephensons Rocket 1
Yokai Septet 1

I have removed Evolution to include Root

Through the Twenty Ages - app plays included because…
2/10

MicroMacro Challenge - 1/4 done

• Original
  • Full House
  • All-In
  • Showdown
  • Bonus Box
3 Likes

I’ve been doing good on my solo challenge :slight_smile:
That’s kind of nice. I also have a nice streak of playing a game every day since Feb 9th. That’s one of the longer streaks I’ve ever managed. It happend accidentally (until I noticed a couple days ago).

• Daybreak 10+/10
  • Sprawlopolis 10/10
  • Terraforming Mars (App b/c lazy) 9/10–I have won 2 solos in a row with Venus included. Might be I finally grokked how to play Venus? One was with Viron for full terraforming and the other was with Morning Star Inc for TR63
  • Naturopolis 8/10 (I’ll probably fold this into Sprawlopolis or decide to do an 11/11 challenge, because having two of what is basically the same game in the list seems a even more lazy than playing TM on the app)
  • Tetrarchia 7/10–I have graduated to playing intermediate level difficulty. Everything without an initial Barbarian army now seems too easy (says the person who just lost her first game of Pandemic Iberia on super-easy mode by running out of turns)
  • Cascadia 5/10–I am too lazy to set up the landmarks, so I’ve been doing the challenge modes from the expansion the first few are without the actual landmarks, just new animal cards and new tiles
  • Planet Unknown 4/10–I still like this a lot for solo. I don’t quite see that multiplayer gains much beyond the solo. I just really like the tile laying + tracks. I tend to play the default planet and switch around the corporation. I think the corps are far more interesting than the different maps.
  • Insel-Express 3/10. I am not sure this one will stick. It’s a nice game. And very portable. But the puzzle presented by the solo mode is not the type of challenge that intrigues me much. I prefer the engine building of Terraforming Mars.
  • Grove: 2/10. I like it a lot. I like the tile placement puzzle. This one will stick I know it.
  • Earthborn Rangers 2/10: I really hope that this one will stay in here. The first “comeback” game was quite horrible. I had completely forgotten how this works–not the rules so much but how to use my cards properly and when to call it quits. The 2nd game was much better. I keep forgetting to read the story parts… :sweat_smile:

Other possible games to get into this challenge include the new Pandemic Iberia, Assault on Doomrock. I have yet to play Spirit Island or Revive this year -.-

7 Likes

February Results

10 X 10 Challenge

Game Month Total Status
Black Angel 1 [1/10]
Terraforming Mars - [1/10]
Total 1 2

Too many other commitments at this time of year means there’s little time for longer games.

Game Month Total Status
The Gardens 3 [3/2] :white_check_mark:
Black Angel 1 [1/2]
Lost Ruins of Arnak - [1/2]
Progress 4%

While Black Angel is more of an optimisation exercise than a space expedition, I’m loving it anyway, particularly as the second hand copy I bought came with the Tower Rex insert which makes it quick to set up.

It’s taken me a while to play The Gardens, as the accompanying roll and write A Walk in the Park was initially quite disappointing. Seems a bit random when played solo, but perhaps it will grow on me as A Walk in the Park did.

KeyForge Grim WoE 100 Challenge

Set Deck Month Total
WoE Poole of Saliseat 6 6
WoE Rumpleadder, the “Protector” of Curses 1 1
GR Arrowshadow, Spawn of Superval 1 1
GR LumiluLibrarian, the “Traitor” of the Past 3 3
Progress 4 of 31 decks played 11 [11/100]

Grim Reminders Gamefound has arrived! Quite impressive that Ghost Galaxy learned from the first Gamefound debarcle, addressed the issues and delivered earlier than expected this time.

Netrunner 15 Challenge
Criminal 3 of 15|x237 +2 = [3/15]

Tekeli 20 Challenge
Tekeli 2 of 20 +2 = [2/20]

Have a magical March of gaming everyone!

7 Likes

Success! Two unplayed games hit the table this month! Small but achievable goals.

7 Likes

Soft 10×10:

Game Plays
Sentinels of the Multiverse: Definitive Edition 8 (+4)
Project L 6 (+4)
Trio 6 (+4)
Rallyman: GT 5 (+2)
Nokosu Dice 4 (+2)
Imperium: Horizons 3 (+3)
Rallyman: DIRT 3 (+3)
Tinderblox 3 (+1)
Just One 2 (+1)
Lemminge: Wer Springt Zuerst? 2 (+2)
Piepmatz 2 (+1)
Rallyman 2
Timeline: General Interest 2 (+2)
Xia: Legends of a Drift System 2

I’ve now played Newsboys so that’s eight left on the unplayed list.

6 Likes

Got a game of War on Arrakis in, and boy it’s a doozy. Big fan, looking forward to another game (or two!) in March.

Got a couple more games of My Island in, which continues to be good but I still like My City better, and a handful of games of MicroMacro City: Full House. Good times!

No luck on any of these. Maybe in March!

2 Likes

Went to a (pretty) small board game convention in my area and played the new (?) Dune board game which is a deckbuilder worker placement mix. Was fun, really enjoyed it.

So 2 months and every month had one gaming session. Better than last year but I feel like still something to be improved on :slight_smile:

7 Likes
Game Plays
Sentinels of the Multiverse: Definitive Edition 10 (+2)
Kabuto Sumo 8 (+8)
Nokosu Dice 7 (+3)
Rallyman: GT 7 (+2)
Project L 6
Trio 6
Imperium: Horizons 5 (+2)
Lemminge: Wer Springt Zuerst? 5 (+3)
Freehand 4 (+3)
Rallyman 4 (+2)

Rallyman, GT and Dirt are locked in because of challenges, and I think it very likely that I’ll get in three more plays of Nokosu Dice because I play it at pretty much every convention I go to. It would be lovely to get in five more of Imperium, or seven more Xia, but those are more situational.

3 Likes

I’ll be doing a 20x5 instead of a 10x10! - 34/100 done!

Game Plays
Brass Birmingham 4
Brass Lancashire 4
Cthulhu Wars 2
Dominant Species 0
Escape: Curse of the Temple 0
Feudum 0
Food Chain Magnate 4
Glory to Rome 2
Imperial/Imperial 2023 0
Impulse 0
MarraCash 0
Nokosu Dice 6 :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:
Pax Renaissance 4
Pax Transhumanity 3
Ride the Rails 1
Root 1
Irish Gauge 1
Santiago 1
Stephensons Rocket 1
Yokai Septet 1

Through the Twenty Ages - app plays included because…
3/10

MicroMacro Challenge - 1/4 done

• Original
  • Full House
  • All-In
  • Showdown
  • Bonus Box
4 Likes

I’ve not played Through the Ages, but have watched a video and fancy a whirl on BGA if you want to play?

3 Likes

I’ve switched over to a solo 12x12 (up from 10x10 because I am too lazy to exclude wither Naturopolis or Sprawlopolis).

Current going is:

• Daybreak 12/12
  • Naturopolis 12/12
  • Sprawlopolis 12/12
  • Terraforming Mars 12/12
  • Trailblazers 11/12
  • Planet Unknown 9/12
  • Tetrarchia 8/12
  • Cascadia 7/12
  • Food Chain Island 5/12
  • Dune Imperium 3/12
  • Imperium: Classics/Horizons 3/12
  • Earthborne Rangers 2/12

Not a few BGA games in there that I play on work breaks.

I also had a streak going that lasted from the end of January until last Thursday when I played Baldur’s Gate 3 all day and didn’t even manage a single short game of Sprawlopolis. But as I wasn’t actively trying for a forever streak anyway… in any case: this is surely the longest ever “a game every day” streak I’ve had. (And now I need to get back to BG3, I have another day off today and it was meant to play that game…)

5 Likes

March Results

10 X 10 Challenge

Game Month Total Status
Black Angel 2 [3/10]
Race for the Galaxy 2 [2/10]
Terraforming Mars - [1/10]
Total 4 6

A 200% increase in the total is good progress, surely?

Game Month Total Status
The Gardens - [3/2] :white_check_mark:
Black Angel 2 [3/2] :white_check_mark:
Lost Ruins of Arnak - [1/2]
Progress 5%

Nothing much to see here.

KeyForge Grim WoE 100 Challenge

Set Deck Month Total
WoE Poole of Saliseat 2 8
WoE Rumpleadder, the “Protector” of Curses - 1
GR Arrowshadow, Spawn of Superval 11 12
GR LumiluLibrarian, the “Traitor” of the Past - 3
GR Gasga, the Cobbler of the Tower 8 8
GR Bourdet, Mauallan’s Conqueror 4 4
GR Saint-Germain of Saurtonne 1 1
Progress 7 of 31 decks played [37/100] plays

Excellent KeyForge progress in March. Grim Reminders is fun! The haunting mechanic and the associated cards to manipulate the draw deck and discard pile lead to plenty of shenanigans.

Netrunner 15 Challenge
Criminal 5 of 15 + 2 = [5/15]

Slowly improving at in person play; even won a couple of games this month. However, with the new set Rebellion Without Rehersal just released and the Borealis Cycle rotating out, it’s back to the drawing board for my Startup decks. Humph.

Tekeli 20 Challenge
No change = [2/20]

Have an adventurous April of gaming everyone!

4 Likes

Only got one new game to the table last month, so I am behind. Busy month for April too, so not sure if I will be able to to catch up, or even meet my monthly goal of trying out two unplayed games. Time will tell.

3 Likes