2020 Challenge: 10 Plays of 10 Games!

To maintain some continuity from SU&SD:

The basic idea is to pick ten games at the start of the year, and try to play each of them at least ten times. Last year I succeeded in this for the first time, by dint of picking soloable games.

More or less end of April:
Maiden’s Quest: 0
Go 500 Racing: 10 (+1) (several more in fact)
Rallyman GT: 10 (+2) (and of this too)
Rallyman: 4 (+1)
Lux Aeterna: 0
Flamme Rouge: 10 (+6) (thanks to the Tours I’m PBFing)
D-Day Dice: 0 (it has arrived; I have no excuse)
Baseball Highlights: 2045: 4 (+1)
FUSE: 5 (+2)
NMBR 9: 0
V-Commandos: 5

3 Likes

Santorini
Isle of Skye - 1
Imperial Assault - 6
Arkham Horror LCG - 4
Kingdomino - 4
Treasure Island - 1
Marvel Legendary - 1
Black Orchestra - 2
Ghost Stories - 2
Quacks of Quedlinburg - 2

I’m challenging myself a bit because I have a number of new games on here. I had AH on my list last year and managed 8 plays, so I think 10 is doable this year. I have all the big box expansions for IA now, and I really want to dive more into the game. Same with Ghost Stories and Isle of Skye, both of which I have played a number of times, but I’d like to get better at them.

Quacks is just fun and wanted to give myself one easy option. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is where I am at the moment:

Quacks of Quedlinburg - 3
Wingspan - 4
Arboretum
Gloomhaven - 3
Bärenpark
Flamme Rouge - 4
Root - 4
Brass
Altiplano
Tzolk’in

My gaming has really taken a hit recently - my husband and I don’t tend to play two-player, so I’m pretty much limited to what I can play online

2 Likes

Not updated since March, but I’m copying over so I know where I was in March

It’s now

Feast for Odin 13 (1)
Age of Steam 11 (4)
Brass Birmingham 5 (0)
Terraforming Mars 16 (9)
Great Western Trail 5 (3)
Air Land and Sea 5 (0)
Concordia 2 (1)
Flamme Rouge 16 (10)
Dominion 0 (0)
Barenpark 5 (4)
Cockroach Poker 0 (0)

Also this month has seen about 40 hands of The Crew, 7 or 8 games of Biblios, the same of Kingdomino and 4 games of The King’s Dilemma.

2 Likes

I can relate. For a while there I was managing to hit most of my solo games a couple times a month. With the stay at home, my kids are going insane, which is making my wife and me nuts, too. By the time they are in bed and everything is prepped for the next day, I’m exhausted and don’t feel like playing something, especially knowing it will likely be around 2 hours of set up and play (Imperial Assault, Arkham Horror, Black Orchestra).

2 Likes

I can totally understand why you wouldn’t have the energy for gaming right now - it sounds really hard.

3 Likes

I’m so lucky with my kids being 12&11 for lockdown. We wake them up at 1030/11 (youngest was sleeping until 1 over Easter holidays - they’ve never slept this well before).

Mostly my wife and I play 2 player, but the boys are joining in occasionally.

3 Likes

Hmm, I usually edit my top post when I play a game in my challenge, and then just post monthly updates, but I can’t seem to edit right now.

So…

My end of April stats are as follows:

Santorini
Isle of Skye - 1
Imperial Assault - 7
Arkham Horror LCG - 4
Kingdomino - 4
Treasure Island - 1
Marvel Legendary - 1
Black Orchestra - 2
Ghost Stories - 2

2 Likes

Current progress for the year!

1. Pandemic Legacy S1 - 2
  2. Machi Koro
  3. Carcassonne - 5
  4. Suburbia
  5. Dominion 2nd Ed - 5
  6. Klask - 4
  7. Love Letter
  8. Heart of Crown
  9. Sushi Go - 8
  10. Tainted Grail

And a bonus 1x5 challenge! For the games that I want to get just one complete game of. Gonna be really tricky now haha

1. TI2 (Don’t have or need TI4 - this game was already big enough!)
  2. Axis & Allies - used to play this twice a year, but it’s been forgotten lately
  3. Shogun - not the newer one, but the MB one from the 80s. It seems really interesting, but has so far never made it to the table.
  4. On Mars (I don’t actually own this, but know someone who does)
  5. March of the Ants - Done!
1 Like

Scythe = 0 (0)
Twilight Imperium 4th Edition = 0 (0)
Blackstone Fortress = 3 (0)
Star Trek Ascendancy = 1 (0)
Forbidden Stars/Dune = 0 (0)
Legacy of Dragonholt/Android = 0 (0)
Outer Rim/Xia Legends of a Drift System = 0 (0)
Level 7 Omega Protocol = 0 (0)
Battletech/Armada/Legion = 2 (1)
GKR Heavy Hitters = 0 (0)

Almost no games for me in the month of April. I managed to get one game of Legion in, 2 games on Infinity (not on the list), and a couple games of Mice & Mystics (also not on the list). My board game groups have not handled the transition to online/TTS very well.

But that’s okay. It’s given me lots of time to focus on my writing. So that’s something, at least.

2 Likes

I’d not played this for a while, but I’ve just started with yucata.de and it seemed like a good game for learning the interface. Turns out it’s the sort of occasional thing I’m in the mood for, too.

1 Like

So it’s May Day, is it? Time for the monthly 10x10 update, which is gonna be quite the challenge this year, what with all the multiplayer games on there. I’m limiting myself to one item change per month, phasing out any impossible games, just to provide the technical possibility that I could finish this thing.

I won’t, of course. But a long shot’s more fun than no shot at all. At least I can wrangle a bunch of these into 2-player fun once my wife’s semester from hell wraps up. Solo games, it turns out, are the hardest thing to manage with omnipresent little kids.

7 Wonders Duel - 3
Arboretum - 4
Black Sonata - 3
Carcassonne - 3
Dungeons & Dragons 5e - 2
High Society - 3
Race for the Galaxy - 8
Rhino Hero Super Battle - 4
Root - 0
Splendor - 9
Wildflowers - 9

D&D is the new entry this month, and with weekly sessions I ought to hit 10 plays in no time. Fingers crossed it continues to go well and sap time I might use for other games, even –GASP– once I get to see other humans in person one day!

2 Likes

Thanks for getting us going again here @RogerBW

Challenge objectives (for continuity)
So many games, so little time, so I’ve bent the rules and split up the 100 plays a little differently for my list.

Android: Netrunner [20]
KnitWit [5]
Council of Verona [5]
Just One [5]
Bridges to Nowhere* [5]
Treasure Island* [5]
KeyForge* [5]
The Bloody Inn [5]
Gloom [5]
Alhambra [5]
Cottage Garden [5]
Castles of Burgundy [5]
Clank! in Space [5]
Masque of the Red Death* [5]
Dead of Winter [5]
A Feast of Odin* [5]
Eldritch Horror* [5]
Note: * indicates games I’ve never played.

April Results

Android: Netrunner [0/20]
KnitWit [3/5]
Council of Verona [0/5]
Just One [1/5]
Bridges to Nowhere 1 [5/5]
Treasure Island* [0/5]
KeyForge 5 [12/5]
The Bloody Inn [0/5]
Gloom 1 [1/5]
Alhambra [3/5]
Cottage Garden [1/5]
Castles of Burgundy [0/5]
Clank! in Space [0/5]
Masque of the Red Death* [0/5]
Dead of Winter [0/5]
A Feast of Odin* [0/5]
Eldritch Horror 1 [1/5]

Have been quite enjoying KeyForge; it’s likely to get to 20 plays before Netrunner gets started at this rate. In general I prefer Netrunner, but am still learning the nuances, which makes KeyForge an easier option at this stage.

3 Likes

May results:
KnitWit 1 [4/5]
Council of Verona [0/5]
Just One [1/5]
Bridges to Nowhere [5/5]
Treasure Island* [0/5]
KeyForge 10 [22/5]
The Bloody Inn [0/5]
Gloom [1/5]
Alhambra [3/5]
Cottage Garden [1/5]
Castles of Burgundy 1 [1/5]
Clank! in Space [0/5]
Dead of Winter [0/5]
A Feast of Odin* [0/5]
Eldritch Horror [1/5]

The play count continues to tick over, but not in the right areas to achieve objectives! This won’t be helped by picking up 20+ tempting decks from someone selling their whole KeyForge collection.

Was nice to play Burgundy for a second time; it’s been over a year since the first. Hopefully next time it won’t be quite as great a gap between plays.

4 Likes

Oh dear. At the end of May, no significant change from April in spite of the huge amount of on-line boardgaming I’ve been doing:

[Maiden's Quest] [0/10]
[Go 500 Racing] [10/10]
[Rallyman GT] [10/10]
[Rallyman] [5/10] (+1)
[Lux Aeterna] [0/10]
[Flamme Rouge] [10/10]
[D-Day Dice] [0/10]
[Baseball Highlights: 2045] [4/10]
[FUSE] [5/10]
[NMBR 9] [0/10]
[V-Commandos] [5/10]

Rallyman will happen automatically by the end of the year thanks to ISGOYTRA. But I really should take a look at some of the others. When some of the existing PBFs finish I’ll probably do some more PBF V-Commandos here.

5 Likes

End of May update:

Santorini - 1
Isle of Skye - 1
Imperial Assault - 8
Arkham Horror LCG - 4
Kingdomino - 4
Treasure Island - 1
Marvel Legendary - 1
Black Orchestra - 2
Ghost Stories - 3

Not as much change as I had hoped for, but I have been playing other games not on my list. I am pleased, though, that I have now played every game on my list at least once.

4 Likes

May’s sorry progress:

Quacks of Quedlinburg - 3
Wingspan - 5 (+1)
Arboretum
Gloomhaven - 3
Bärenpark
Flamme Rouge - 7 (+3)
Root - 4
Brass
Altiplano
Tzolk’in - 1 (+1)

The official Wingspan DLC on TTS is quite nice, and my friend had already bought it, so I didn’t need to :slightly_smiling_face:

I played Tzolk’in on boiteajeux.net. I’ve played a few asynchronous games with internet randoms, but I’m only counting plays where there is some kind of interaction with other players!

3 Likes

In a shocking turn of events, I have played nothing this month. :frowning:

My friends who we have played a few games over TTS have kinda gotten tired of it (which I respect, since it doesn’t really “feel” like playing a board game so much as it is a sorta awkward video game using board game rules). That’s okay. I have done a bunch of painting for when we do get to play again we’ll be good to go.

A side note: we managed to get about 4 or 5 missions into Mice & Mystics before they decided they weren’t having fun… this will be the fourth time my partner and I have tried to get through the campaign with people that just weren’t into it. Previously I assumed the couples we played with just weren’t gamers, but this time I know Jen and Chris are gamers (they played through LOTR Journeys in Middle-Earth, Gloomhaven, and Gen7 with us)… maybe it’s just too old? Either way, I may have to give up on playing the campaign and just read it through and then move it on to somebody else to get some joy out of it. It is a fiddly game, and it’s certainly not for kids (despite the extremely childish story), but I like it… oh well.

4 Likes

Oh, May. I’ve checked off some of the easy two-player games, managed a whole mess o’ D&D, and the rest of the list… well. Let’s not pretend it’s going anywhere anytime soon. Maybe I ought to write up about my D&D campaign here, as I’m ever so delighted with my PCs. (Too bad the kid gloves come off this Friday.) But that’s for another thread.

7 Wonders Duel - 4
Arboretum - 4
Black Sonata - 3
Carcassonne - 3
Dungeons & Dragons 5e - 7
High Society - 3
Race for the Galaxy - 10+
Rhino Hero Super Battle - 4
Root - 0
Splendor - 10+
Wildflowers - 10+

One of these years, 10x10. One of these years.

3 Likes

June results:
KnitWit [4/5]
Council of Verona 3 [3/5]
Just One 2 [3/5]
Bridges to Nowhere [5/5]
Treasure Island 1 [1/5]
KeyForge 9 [31/5]
The Bloody Inn [0/5]
Gloom [1/5]
Alhambra [3/5]
Cottage Garden [1/5]
Castles of Burgundy [1/5]
Clank! in Space [0/5]
Dead of Winter [0/5]
A Feast of Odin* [0/5]
Eldritch Horror [1/5]

A decent month of gaming. Just One was back in action and the first play of Treasure Island was a hit.

Observations at the half way point:

• Plays of challenge games = 54
  • Games where play count is complete/exceeded = 12%
  • Games played at least once = 65%
  • Need to get on the board with Netrunner
  • Increased focus on longer games required if the challenge is to be achieved