#192: Event Gaming

2021-11-23T14:00:13Z

One of the great tragic modern misapprehensions of history is the blanching of fascism. It seems that people can watch Attack on Titan and play with their space marines, and simply because there are no swastikas to be found they assume that there are no connections to fascistic ideology contained therein. This is one of the reasons why we so appreciate the humble cucumber sandwich–we would assert that its very fragility and delicacy evoke anti-fascism. Whether one ought to use butter or cream cheese is of great doctrinal import, of course, but we’re not gonna get all dogmatic about it.

01:47 AYURIS: Undaunted: Normandy (Trevor Benjamin & David Thompson, Osprey Games, 2019)

Games Played Last Week:
05:07 -Riftforce (Carlo Bortolini, 1 More Time Games, 2021)
07:55 -Ark Nova (Mathias Wigge, Feuerland Spiele, 2021)
10:21 -1846: The Race for the Midwest (Thomas Lehmann, GMT Games, 2005)
20:33 -Railroad Tycoon/Railways of the World (Glenn Drover & Martin Wallace, Eagle-Gryphon Games, 2005)
22:20 -Llamaland (Phil Walker-Harding, Lookout Games, 2021)
24:53 -Res Arcana: Perlae Imperii (Thomas Lehmann, Sand Castle Games, 2021)
27:49 -Faiyum (Friedemann Friese, 2F-Spiele, 2020)
30:08 -Regicide (Paul Abrahams, Luke Badger, & Andy Richdale, Badgers from Mars, 2020)
31:03 -Dinosaur World (Brian Lewis, David McGregor, & Marissa Misura, Pandasaurus Games, 2021)
36:28 -Too Many Bones (Adam & Josh Carlson, Chip Theory Games, 2017)
40:11 -Sentinels of the Multiverse (Christopher Badell, Paul Bender, & Adam Rebottaro, Greater Than Games, 2011)
42:26 -Ankh: Gods of Egypt (Eric M. Lang, CMON, 2021)
45:18 -MicroMacro: Crime City–Full House (Johannes Sich, Pegasus Spiele, 2021)
46:21 -Khôra: Rise of an Empire (Head Quarter Simulation Game Club, IELLO, 2021)
47:04 -A Feast for Odin (Uwe Rosenberg, Feuerland Spiele, 2016)

News (and why it doesn’t matter):
48:02 Marvel Zombicide, because of course
49:10 20th Anniversary of the Lord of the Rings movies: Games Workshop’s Battle of Balin’s Tomb
50:09 Games Workshop condemns Nazis and Nazism in their community

54:22 Topic: Event Gaming

1:14:57 SVWAG Presents Masterpiece Theatre: The Legend of Korra Season 3 (Walker’s Take)

The 1846: Race for the Midwest section is hilarious. Although, I would say that “chrome”, in my impression of the online 18xx community, is often frown upon. 18xx fans love the system because learning a new 18xx game means just a few minutes talking about how different is this game - not re-learning yet another game. In contrast to medium and heavy Euros where this is impossible to do despite gamers already aware of existing concepts like worker placement. This is exactly what led to my “Euro burnout” a few years ago and lead me to Knizias and K&Ks and other old school German games.

Agree with everything on the Event gaming section. I am far more tolerate of bad games (to me) if we decided them beforehand. Knowing what I am getting into makes me more mentally prepared. Playing games that I end up not liking on an open game night will make me feel that I have wasted my limited time.

2 Likes

I think there may be at least three levels of game organisation:

• we’ll get together and play something
  • we’ll play game X first, and then go on to other things
  • this is specifically for game X (especially if it’s a longer one)

Generally for the local Monday night group I ask people if they’d like me to bring anything from the collection, and they don’t answer. :slight_smile:

2 Likes