#179: Trenchcoat Games

Or they are reading our forum…

1 Like

An interesting discussion, but until they started that topic segment I’d assumed that “trenchcoat games” were a more extreme form of “grail games”, i.e. people would buy them from a dodgy guy in a trenchcoat with big inside pockets…

2 Likes

I wonder if anyone has ever called them trench coat games before them.

1 Like

Without having listened to the episode yet, I’ll just assume they are games in which the authorities should be notified if you open them.

Nope, they say these are games that like three trash-pandas (I have heard this term so much I forget the original English name for „Dachs“) in a trenchcoat. Your first assumption may be radically asymmetrical games where everyone plays their own minigame (aka Captain Sonar or Merchant‘s Cove) but no they do not mean those. Neither is it games like Galaxy Trucker that have distinct phases of radically different gameplay.

What they defined was games that have different subsystems any player may engage in for varying strategies and where any subsystem can be ignored completely and still be a valid strategy. The first example being Praga Caput Regni. I would add Merv to the list. There was more…

I fell asleep on the couch halfway through the debate so I am not quite sure what they were actually critiquing here.

Edit: I want to also note I completely agree with the assessment on Earthborne Rangers. It is a valiant attempt to be better at sustainability but whether it truly will be, is something we will only see once the results are in. As it stands today‘s campaign update shows that they are really quite far from having enough backers in each region to produce locally. Nevertheless, if no attempts are made, nothing is ever going to change. So even failed ones are going to help move the hobby in a better direction by shining the light on the shortcomings.

1 Like

Badger. Easy to remember starting in English, because the Dachs Hund is a dog bred to go after badgers, which explains both its shape and its utter fearlessness.

The other thing I’ve seen about Earthborne Rangers is that they’re awfully light on actual gameplay information for this point in a KS campaign…

2 Likes

I have seen the start of a playthrough and was too lazy to watch the 2nd video because playhthroughs bore me to death. On the one hand I think that there is more material there than the red-flag waving sceptics think and also I do think the guys running this campaign have some fine working credentials. But on the other hand this is one that isn‘t completely through development yet which is the proverbial red flag. As I wrote in the KS thread, I am willing to entertain the risk… in this case. I am more sceptical about the whole claim to sustainability than that there will eventually be a good game here.

Actually, raccoons are typically referred to as trash-pandas.

1 Like

Aren‘t racoons and badgers the same animal?

Nope:

Badger

Different badgers

Just a raccoon

2 Likes

Ah well my translation was wrong then with the Dachs… because the only one I can see in a trenchcoat is the trash-panda.

Edit:
Racoon = Waschbär (Wash + Bear)
Badger = Dachs

I could have sworn the two German words meant the same animal. Not only games but also game forums can be quite educational :rofl:

6 Likes

It pleases me greatly that the German for raccoon is Wash bear :grin:

4 Likes

Fun fact: my father-in-law went to University of Wisconsin and their mascot is a badger, so their house has a disproportionately high representation of badgers:

3 Likes

Potentially relevant link:

1 Like

I really dislike these Trenchcoat games. I often call them “N mini games duct-taped together”. They aren’t imaginative. They aren’t innovative at all. I prefer games to be holistic. Feld is one of the main culprits and Trajan is, indeed, one of these. 2 hour nonsense point-salad where everything don’t come along together.

Not all modern Euros do this though. Ginkgopolis has mechanisms after mechanisms on it, but they all weld together very well. This results with Ginkgo being difficult to internalise, but leads to a very solid and cohesive game.

2 Likes

One thing they do is create this nice “looking enviously over the fence” vibe.

2 Likes

I bought Space Cadets. I played it four or five times. Then I realised that I hated it. Part of it is the crew change, just as you thought you were getting the hang of something; but the other part is that it’s basically non-interactive in the heads-down phase, and when it is it’s an extra burden (damage control) being added to “normal” gameplay.

1 Like

I enjoyed my solos of this quite a bit. Have yet to bring it to a multiplayer but I agree, very good integrated euro.

I do enjoy the occasional themepark euro (I am not sure if I made up that term or heard it somewhere)… for example Merv but they always end up making me wonder how balanced the different systems are and so I cannot have too many of those in my collection especially not for multiplayer.

2 Likes

Theme park euro is a much better term - way more evocative of different play areas that mean there’s a choice to do something but you also lose the chance to do the thing next door

2 Likes

I think there might be an important subdivision: in some games you can concentrate on a particular thing and potentially win (especially if nobody else is competing for that thing), but in others this is a trap and you have to do a bit of everything.

2 Likes