Your top 3 most "fun" games

The thing about Cosmic for me is that it’s pretty inconsistent. I’ve had some wonderful games, but also some very dull ones, even with the same group of players. Which is why I don’t own it any more - I’d remember the dull games and get out something more reliable instead.

3 Likes

My taste in games is definitely different to most, for example I find Codenames and Dixit incredibly boring. I know they’re high player-interaction and probably engage the group more than some others, but I never need to play either of them again.

So I’m really interested in whether any of the heavier games that people spend a lot of time and money on would still be “fun”. Spirit Island seems to definitely be, because the “WE NEED TO PLAY AGAIN” factor is so high. I’ve seen people love Everdell that much and be up for replays too.

1 Like

Pretty much. We play Times Up with famous people

1 Like

From Quinns’ videos it seems as though he got the right group for Twilight Imperium (various) to laugh and bluff and enjoy it for the long playtime.

Race games must have some fun ideas - Heat PttM, maybe?

Seemed like everyone loved playing Colt Express too (another one with very high player interaction, you’re keeping an eye on every player in case they steal/shoot you next etc)

4 Likes

I’d say probably a minimum of 4 for Colt Express, and it’s best with a full roster of players - like Robo Rally, it needs to get to the “clearly so chaotic as to be unpredictable by anyone” style of play rather than the “oh, I should be able to work this out” style…

1 Like

Agreed. It’s where Cosmic really shows its age. Modern games generally focus far more on consistency and perfecting the first play satisfaction.

2 Likes

Probably down to semantics! For me, most fun = encouraging friendly above board interactions. Dogs of War does that really well.

And it’s quite a nostalgic game for me. It was one of the main go tos way back in 2012 or whatever, before the hype of the new overtook us with new games every time.

3 Likes

The Good, The Board and The Ugly podcast had a time when they were very specific about sub categories/ taxonomy of fun. It stemmed from a comment about people enjoying heavy games in silence while thinking deeply which caused a staff member at the cafe where a game of Food Chain Magnate or similar was going on remarked that the players didn’t seem to be enjoying themselves outwardly while they were thinking they had the most fun of any game that day they’d played.

With regards this thread I think games beginning with Q can be good contenders. Quarriors and Quacks of Quedlinburg. I also think maybe Warriors.

Call of Cthulhu should almost definitely be up there for me. The toy factor and being aggro from turn 2 onwards help this sub set of fun.

One that actually provoked similar reactions recently was 1830, but that could be blend of players on the day

5 Likes

Cockroach poker - always goes down well. Lots of fun and laughter, and managed to play it with pretty much all ages.

Escape from Atlantis - dumb fun. As long as the group buys in to the chaos, the absolutely mayhem that ensues in a 4 player game is a riot. It’s never not been fun.

Quest for El Dorado - the deck building in the game is very satisfying and the race element is always great fun. I’ve heard some people say it’s not as good as 4, but I’d happily play it at that count. Again, another game that’s produced a lot of laughs and big moments.

6 Likes