Wot are you playing (video games)

GRIS is awesome. And the music is fantastic.

I have started playing a few rounds of MechWarrior Online. It’s too chaotic for me.

I used to be very good at FPS games. No longer.

I know that feeling. For me it’s platformers: I keep on half-heartedly trying Spelunky 2 and just die stupidly, over and over.

1 Like

I’m much the same with FPSs, which I used to love but now find mostly boring and very difficult at once. Still love a good immersive sim though (sighs fondly and remembers Prey).

2 Likes

"My game"was the first Unreal Tournament, UT99 (in that brief period when the predominant FPS æsthetic was not “brown”). It’s possible to run it on a modern machine, but I think everyone else who plays it now has been playing nothing else since then.

3 Likes

There was a brief window in UT where you could download mods for your characters (which lasted exactly as long as it took somebody to realize you could download characters that were basically invisible, or were misplaced from their hit locations).

I had an angel that, when you jumped, unfurled its wings. Totally impractical, since the wings were also hit locations.

I was nigh-unstoppable. But this was back in '99 when I was at university, hating my studies, and desperate for distraction.

5 Likes

I was never any good at plattformers (we never had gaming consoles when I was younger) and I was terrible at shooters…. I remember playing Quake III Arena with a bunch of friends and dying more from falling out of the level (it was one of those jump pad levels) than from being shot.

I got better at shooters, now I am average among my friends… as was tested a few years back when we had an actual LAN Party at a house somewhere.

This week-end though I got back to a game I‘ve been very keen on playing again and realized that it is a highly addictive timesink for people who just want to play logistics: Dyson Sphere Program. I find this extremely compelling. it is just a tech tree and factory building without any actual pressure except possibly losing sight of the size of your machinery. There have been some new features since I played last ( it is still early access) and those are great fun.

I‘ve also played Vampire Survivors on my tablet for the past few weeks until my eyes told me to stop. I was so bad initially, I almost gave up but now the game has turned into a real timesink: even on high speed it still takes too long to finish a game.

3 Likes

Vampire Survivors is weirdly addictive, isn’t it? But yes, eats time away. I really need to get Dyson Sphere Program.

3 Likes

Vampire Survivors is addictive like all these games are. I tried on PC though and I cannot play with mouse (I really need to get a controller). Touch is easier than mouse for Vampire Survivors. I stil haven’t unlocked everything… so I will probably play a few more rounds.

If you liked shapez.io I think you might like DSP. Though there is no shapes puzzle here just a bunch of resources and a production chain. It just logistics but such fun logistics–can’t wait for my game to go multi-planet and multi-(solar)-system and begin building my dyson spheres. In my previous game I never finished one though. One of the more recent additions is making the factory building a little easier: a low level transport drone that enables short-range transport of resources and products to another storage. So factories can now be a little less convoluted. The blueprints are also quite helpful.

2 Likes

I am in a similar situation. I played a lot of FPS back in the day (both single player like Max Payne, Mafia, Unreal 2, Half-Life etc. and multiplayer like Serious Sam series, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3, all Half-Life mods Day of Defeat, Counterstrike, Battlegrounds, Vampires vs Slayers etc., some even competitive).

But now I find them super boring. Bought the Doom from 2016 last year for some bucks to try and was deeply disappointed. I just don’t find it fun anymore running through levels shooting around like crazy.

I enjoyed Prey, Deathloop and Dishonored a lot (Dishonored 2 less though). The world itself and its setting pulled me in but I had to take breaks sometimes because the gameplay gets samey at some point.

On the other hand I still play FPS in multiplayer but they have to be coop games. I love Deep Rock Galactic and really enjoy GTFO but that one is pretty difficult and needs voice chat to have success (haven’t played with random people for that reason yet). But the working together as a team in a more than just hold left mouse button way is what I need to enjoy FPS nowadays.

3 Likes

Oh that’s absolutely my history too, still enjoy **Deep Rock Galactic ** with @BigJackBrass . Not tried GTFO but I’ll look into it.

3 Likes

DRG is great because it offers a lot of variety and fun for both kind of players, the casual and more serious ones.

GTFO is not really a casual game, teamwork is very important and I am really into that challenge tbh but have problems getting my friends to play it. There are bots but they usually suck. The devs advertise their discord heavily to find players and I am in there and noticed how easy it is to find people and how well set up it is for that (a ton of voice channels and lfg channels) but haven’t tried it myself yet.

1 Like

My nephew turned 11 today. With my sister‘s help we set up a Steam Account for him (well in her name for now and she controls it obviously) and gave him a bunch of games. Obviously the games have to be suitable for an 11 year old and as a bonus should have the option to play cooperatively with us. Because we didn‘t have an easy time coming up with games and because we get this question from friends as well here‘s the list of games we found:

• The Secret of Monkey Island
  • Bloons Tower Defense (it has multiplayer coop)
  • Quest Hunter (action rpg for kids, also multiplayer coop)
  • Civilization 6 (it was on sale for 6€ how could i not, I was probably 13 or 14 when I got my hands on Civ 1… so that will likely have to wait a bit)

His surprise favorite so far: Monkey Island, though he had his mom sitting next to him with clues and help. But he loves the story.

We are also looking forward to introducing him to

• more Lucasarts Adventures (if he likes those… there are plenty more)
  • soon: Kerbal Space Program
  • soon: No Man‘s Sky

Games he is already playing on the Switch:

• Minecraft (he got a book for Minecraft Python programming as well)
  • Zelda Botw
  • all the usual NIntendo fare (Mario Kart, Pokemon etc)
5 Likes

Replaying Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order in anticipation of the sequel. Unfortunately, I was under the impression it was releasing in March, but instead will be at the end of April. Oh well, should give me time to try to fit something else in between.

2 Likes

Yes! Excellent.

3 Likes

Day of the Tentacle is good fun for all I think, my son (8) likes it a lot.

3 Likes

DotT, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and Sam & Max Hit the Road were my jam back in high school. The last has one of my favorite exchanges ever, which I still use to this day when presented the opportunity:

“I’ve got something in my eye!”
“Dig it out with a fork. That always works for me.”

3 Likes

Oh yes, loved all of them. Full Throttle and Grim Fandango are also wonderful.

5 Likes

Been playing a bit of Aliens; Fireteam Elite. We picked up the newest expansion because it was on sale, but we’re playing from the beginning. And it’s pretty good fun. The pulsing of the motion sensors, the roar of the M41 pulse rifle, the screams from the aliens, it’s all there from the movie. The game has an original story, which you can mostly ignore and just shoot aliens. Tonight we tried the flamethrowers, which were cool fun. Of course, you can’t see shit when people fire them, and luckily there’s no friendly fire (until you play at higher difficulties).

2 Likes

A benefit of the no-friendly-fire mode in Serious Sam: you can light up your buddy, and then see by that light.

2 Likes