What are you writing?

Sadly, no.

1 Like

Nope!

Iā€™m stuck on my next book again. However, I teach Womenā€™s Self-Defence classes and Iā€™ve decided to turn them into an online recorded course. So Iā€™m writing quite a lot of that this week.

3 Likes

Writing? What is that?
I have two short story titles.
Titles!

3 Likes

Going to try and hit 25k words today (Iā€™m at 21K right now). This part of the story will probably be cut in the final consideration, but itā€™s helping me to write it first and then cut it later, I think.

Anyway. Tomorrow I want to be near at least 30K by the end of the day. Fingers crossedā€¦ or, more accurately, fingers-on-keyboard, butt-in-chair.

1 Like

Absolutely not, no. Instead I wrote a Pathfinder supplement about playable fruit classes. I had a week of leave, but hopes of fiction writing didnā€™t pan out.

1 Like

Fruit classes?
Do I want to know?

So I am trying to convince myself to write a short story. The biggest challenge for me is to make the idea just the right size. Mostly that means small enough. My thoughts tend to go epic quickly. But I cannot even get started with a single sentence because I am overthinking it. (I could of course easily write a rant on boardgames for a couple 1000 words)

We got a subscription for Masterclass recently so I could watch a few writing classes. I am stuck on Neil Gaiman Episode 3 or 4 where he reminisces about how he finds ideasā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ pfffftā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ (<- my brain when I hear the word ā€œideaā€) so instead we have watched Chris Hadfield teach us Rocketry. Much less intimidating than writing.

I read Scalziā€™s blog the other day where he says it has been one of his most unproductive years in ever. It made me feel a tiny bit better. (I am not a regular blog reader these daysā€¦ just snippets here and there)

1 Like

Only you can answer that, butā€¦ DriveThruRPG

Iā€™ve seen lots of authors saying what a struggle this year has been. The tedium and constant low-level stress has really done a number on human creativity.

2 Likes

Yeah, this last year has really been a struggle (Iā€™m including the lead-in to 2021 in that). I booked my editor to work on my first novel this year back in February, when it seemed like I had lots of time to finish the bookā€¦

I am starting to accept that I may not actually be done in time (April 1st). And that concerns meā€¦ but what can I do? I just keep writing and hoping for the best, I suppose.

I am at 23K words today. As mentioned above, goal is 30K by the end of the day (and then 35K by the end of Wednesday, when I also have to create a Powerpoint presentation for a $6,000 proposal with the university Iā€™m attending that I am 98% sure Iā€™m not going to get).

ā€œFunā€.

3 Likes

I sympathize with people who experience that; but I donā€™t seem to have much of it in my own experience, if any. Of course Iā€™m not writing fiction; Iā€™ve concluded that itā€™s not my mĆ©tierā€”and I havenā€™t written verse in many years now. But I never have times when I canā€™t figure out how to run a session in an RPG campaign, or come up with ideas for campaigns, or write game books.

In one sense, my approach is less dependent on ā€œinspirationā€ than I see other people talk about; I largely come up with things by starting out with an idea and working through its implications. But Iā€™m not sure that makes what I do ā€œuncreative.ā€ And in any case I have had the experience of having an idea come to me out of nowhere, while running a game, or on waking up, or while writing a passage for a book. I read long ago that Isaac Newton, asked how he came up with his theories, answered Diu noctuque incubando (ā€œby brooding on them day and nightā€) and thatā€™s how I think about things Iā€™m writing.

Iā€™m lagging on my current GURPS project, but that reflects the stress of our unsatisfactory living situation and then of the move itself; Iā€™ve come up with an idea for how to proceed with the final draft, and gotten it approved, and itā€™s just waiting till I clear my desk of copy editing for a bit.

Anyway, my best wishes to those of you whose muses are quirkier; I hope they come back to you.

4 Likes

just thought some of you might want this kind of encouragement :slight_smile: I will write today. something. this promise I make myself. A prompt if all else fails.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve read just what I think is Scalziā€™s first book. Old Manā€™s War? It was an absolute mess and I donā€™t know how it got published. Does he get better later in his career?

1 Like

I usually get one hour a week to work on my book, on Saturday morning.

Last week I missed it because I was recovering from my first vaccine shot (yay). This week it got truncated to 45 minutes.

Spent the whole time refining a single conversation, and did not finish.But what I touched is better. Problem is (and this increasingly becomes a problem the deeper into editing I get), the story needs me to insert a specific point into the conversation. The characters donā€™t want to talk about that.

So Iā€™m having an argument with two of my characters, trying to get them to touch on a subject that they just arenā€™t interested in this page.

sigh

I am not sure if Redshirts is older. In any case itā€™s been many years since I read those books.

I remember liking them and and continuing on with the further books in the Old Manā€™s War series. I read Forever War by Joe Haldemann around the same time which I enjoyed a lot. But same: it may not hold up.

I have read a lot more books since reading Old Manā€™s War and it may well be that the book is a mess, I can neither confirm nor denyā€¦

For what itā€™s worth I really enjoyed Scalziā€™s recent Interdependency trilogy. He is still not writing literary master pieces but he doesnā€™t have to to make his books enjoyable to me.

ā€œBetterā€. Thatā€™s tricky. I think he gets more, not better. Like, if you like Scalziā€™s early works, his later works are more refined and polished, but theyā€™re not radically different.

Sorta like the first three Discworld novels, which are a bit of a mess but you can see that the underlying DNA of the whole series is there. And it just gets more refined as Pratchett goes on.

That stated: Scalzi is not a ā€œliterary masterpieceā€ kind of writer. Although he is an incredibly profitable, popular, and talented writer, he wonā€™t be for everyone (no writer is).

1 Like

Iā€™ve managed all of 200 words for an SF mystery short story. But considering that I had nothingā€“not even the story seedā€“this morning, itā€™s better than what I had in the last two months. Itā€™s about a robot gardener and an alien tree on a space station. (I may have used Roryā€™s Story Cubes to get started)

Maybe after dinner Iā€™ll get in more words.

4 Likes

Refined might be all he needs. I found the first 75% of the book scattered between different genres and tones. He started out trying to write a ā€œhard boiledā€ style, then switched to fourth-wall breaking satire, then sci-fi thriller, and I never knew what I was reading.

Plot/conflict too. Most of the book felt like wandering between not just styles but concepts and plots - like he was trying to figure out where he was going.

I also read it side-by-side with Timothy Zahnā€™s Spinneret and was reeling from the gap between how the political-science of inter-species space politics was developed (or not). It was like warhammer vs. war and peace. That probably stays the same throughout his career.

To be fair, I thought the last quarter of the book had a consistency and pathos layered on top of a more coherent plot. That was the promising part, and left a question mark in my head if this was a book where he was just ā€œfiguring things out.ā€

1 Like

Iā€™ve never looked at Old Manā€™s War, but I picked up the sequel, The Ghost Brigades, from the San Diego city library. I didnā€™t even get halfway through. A friend back then told me that Scalzi was like Starship Troopers with the philosophical speeches left out; all I can say is that it must be the philosophical speeches that I liked in Starship Troopers (and itā€™s far from my favorite Heinlein!).

Scalziā€™s actual first book was Agent to the Stars, but Old Manā€™s War was his first traditionally published book. I thought Agent to the Stars was more readable, and I was able to finish it, but itā€™s really not the kind of comedy I prefer.

I actually canā€™t see that. Iā€™ve read those three volumes, but none of them seemed like a Discworld book to me. The first two are collections of parodies, and Equal Rites seemed like halfway thereā€”for one thing, its Granny Weatherwax isnā€™t the same character who appears in the later books. But then the fourth book, Mort, totally reads like a Discworld book to me. Itā€™s less subtle and hasnā€™t the depth of some of the later books, but itā€™s what you said, the underlying DNA of the whole series is there. Itā€™s as if one of the Endless had taken him aside and made a little deal with him after Equal Rites . . . Or thatā€™s how it struck me.

1 Like

Marx - I took the liberty of clicking through your links. What would you recommend if I wanted to support your work? Looks like Caitlin and Kingā€™s Claw are the most read / best reviewed?

1 Like

Aw, thanks Acacia! Appreciate that!

Kingā€™s Claw was my first (and still my best selling, but not by rateā€¦ itā€™s been around the longest, since 2016). Iā€™m very proud of it, and itā€™s probably my most ambitious work so far. If you like the old Tintin comics, itā€™s an homage to those, set in space.

Caitlyn Morcos is one of my more recent ones, and I think itā€™s better in many ways, but itā€™s nowhere near as ambitious. A space-western-police-procedural (thinkā€¦ Firefly meets CSI), and I think itā€™s pretty good and has a great hook. Plus, Morcos is a fun character.

Lastly, ā€œThe Queen of the A.I.sā€ is my newest and I think it has the three best chapters Iā€™ve ever written (the final three chapters I am super proud of). But it is YA, and so itā€™s lighter and faster and without as deep a story as most of my other ones.

Basically, any you buy will be appreciated (and if you like them, please consider leaving a review! Those help so much!).

2 Likes