What are you reading?

“Disappointed with The Moth Keeper. Not enough moths.”

2 Likes

A surprisingly good comic series about bowling, Nazis, being Jewish in the USA and bowling. Also I could not help but hear Judd Hirsch as the father.

3 Likes

I bought the recent Discworld humble bundle so have decided this will be a year of re-reading (for about 80%) or reading the entire series in publication order. Just finished book 1. We’ll see if I actually make it all the way through before the end of the year.

5 Likes

I just finished The Midnight Library which was a delightful and very nice read. Fast and heart warming.

2 Likes

Mentioned in “Oy!” “Wut?” Just chat (The Return of)

4 Likes

Has anyone read Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser books? I was wondering if they were worth giving a try as one of the granddaddy’s of Fantasy writing.

4 Likes

Many years ago. They’re all right, but I can’t see myself being enthused to revisit them.

I’ve got this collection and I’d recommend it for familiarization with the foundation text and for light entertainment. I’ve not ever found the urge to go further into the series.

I find Leiber’s prose brisk and two of his stories in a row is less effort than two of Smith, Lovecraft, or Howard in a row but three of his stories in a row is beyond satiation.

4 Likes

Ha ha - I like that! And that is the book I was thinking of buying.

4 Likes

Doing my best not to go on my “The Fantasy Masterworks full-colour covers like that one were the BEST and they discontinued them after a year or two and now I have to hunt down old copies so they match my collection” rant. But they’re gorgeous.

2 Likes

(Collection)

6 Likes

Oh my giddy aunt, I have finally found someone who has read “The Dark is Rising”. That book had such a huge impact on me when I was a youth - the atmosphere was so intense!

8 Likes

The British Library’s current exhibition on Fantasy (which is AMAZING including the original and only copy of Beowulf) had a day with Susan Cooper giving a talk, and there are a LOT of Dark is Rising fans out there.

Also, I bought this combined edition cos I like it so much and planned to read all 5 books at Christmas (but didn’t have time).

6 Likes

I have too … given it as a reward for good attendance in the Boys Brigade of all things - one of the foundational texts for me!

4 Likes

I loved those books when I was a kid.

I recently (well, it might be 5 years ago) tried to reread _under sea, under stone. I found it boring, predictable, classist, and racist, and didn’t finish it. I didn’t actually even make it very far, well less than half way.

2 Likes

Also love. Can recount from memory: When the dark is rising, 6 shall turn it back. Three from the circle; three from the track.
Merriman Lyon!

4 Likes

Ah, I’ve got one from that SF Masterworks collection: HG Wells - The Time Machine/War of the Worlds. The first Wells I read.

The ones I’m gutted about missing out on are the rounded-corner editions from 2006. I only bought Flowers for Algernon, Ubik, and The Sirens of Titan at the time. Maybe I should hunt for them on eBay …

image image image image image

image image image image

4 Likes

Greenwitch and The Grey King were regularly discussed at undergraduate cafeteria lunch times by the gamers I spent time with.

1 Like

Those are some great books right there!