What are you into apart from games?

My wife likes it and says the same, problem is that I don’t like stout

I assume you’ve read Prisoners of Geography? If not, it’s fantastic

2 Likes

I didn’t put reading, I love it but I never seem to have time. Unlike everyone else on here I don’t like Fantasy and the only sci fi I like is Star Wars.

Crime tinged with comedy is my bag - Chris Brookmyre, Christopher Fowler, Carl Hiaasen are my favourites.

I love non fiction as well, but need to be in the mood for it.

2 Likes

Yes. It’s a nice read and a nice accessible intro into the school of Geographic Determinism. The thing is that I am not a fan of Zeihan and Geographic Determinism, in general. It has its merits though, as you cannot simply discount geography as a factor.

2 Likes

All Tim Marshall’s books are worth reading

2 Likes

You should try Bullet Train by Kōtarō Isaka. I heard the movie wasn’t that great but the book is a rollicking good time.

1 Like

Have you tried Ben Aaronovitch’s books? Crime plus comedy plus magic

2 Likes

We enjoyed the movie quite a bit. It was glorious nonsense!

1 Like

Me too! Iron, copper, silver, just all of them really.

…What?

:stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I have, it ticks a lot of boxes, but I don’t think the story gripped me. It was a while ago so I’ll try again

As @yashima said … it depends :sunglasses:. I am a member of the scotch malt whisky society who do single casks (and anyone can join). But personally I like a range from Laphroaig to Strathisla. I’d agree with Yashima that Highland Park is a great place to start. There are also lots of new smaller distilleries like Kilchoman and others creating new tastes.

Having said that, current bottles in the kitchen

And asa bonus, some tasty Scottish rum

4 Likes

Not a great whisky fan, but I do like a good gin (honestly, Aldi London Gin is my second favourite after a blind taste test, and if you have lots of money The Botanist – from Bruichladdich – is wonderful). For rum, Barbancourt every time.

4 Likes

Aldi gin has won prizes in all sorts of blind tastings

5 Likes

oh my I forgot Glenfarclas in my list of Speyside goodness. and we also had that precise bottling of the Bunnahabhain at some point. I loved that one!

and I second the Botanist for gin, @RogerBW but we mostly need gin for making the occasional negroni… I was once served a Negroni variation with Balvenie at a whisky bar near Aberlour but have not been able to replicate the taste.

so Aldi gin as in Aldi the discounter?

4 Likes

And one more thing we learned during our travels… whisky ages in the barrel, not in the bottle BUT once you open a bottle the more air you let in the faster your whisky loses that special something. A friend of ours used to have a ton of different whisky bottles all opened and half empty -.- So here we have 3 bottles open at the same time at most! This is probably the same for every other spirit out there.

1 Like

Sort of. When the brothers split the company in 1960, Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd divided Germany (and the world) between them. In the UK we get Aldi Süd, but it’s just branded as Aldi. So I have no idea whether the gin you get in Nord would be the same, but I wouldn’t expect it to be.

2 Likes

I am Aldi Süd though :kissing_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Ukuleles. I’m not much of a player, but I am making some effort to improve. Somehow I appear to have bought rather more ukuleles than I technically need… which at least helps to stop me from buying more games.

9 Likes

I’ve just started woodwork - I currently am very much ‘all the gear, no idea’!

5 Likes

The classic N+1 problem of hobbies. Where N+1 is the ideal number of objects to own and N is the number you own now.

8 Likes