175 g/6 oz light muscovado sugar
2 eggs, beaten
200 g/7 oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1.5 tsp ground mixed spice
2 eating apples, peeled and coarsely grated
85 g/3 oz hazelnuts, chopped

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.

Grease a 23-cm/9-inch square shallow baking tin.

For the topping, place the muscovado sugar and butter in a small pan and heat gently, stirring, until melted. Pour into the prepared tin. Arrange the apple slices over the mixture.

For the brownies, place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat well until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs gradually.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice, and fold into the mixture.

Stir in the apples and nuts.

Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes, until firm and golden. Cool in the
tin for 10 minutes, then turn out and cut into squares.

5 Likes

I didn’t bother with the hazelnuts and used cooking apples instead of dessert apples, which seemed to work fine :+1:

2 Likes

as we love hazelnuts in all forms I will probably bother with them :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing the recipe. It‘s a bit like Tarte Tatin brownies.

2 Likes

All that is waffle is not waffle-shaped.
Not all who make waffle juice are lost.
Old waffle makers are less fun that new ones,
Although they make up for that with the cost.
From the waffle juice shall waffles be woken,
However hard it is to clean the darn thing.
Eaten anyway shall be waffle that is broken.
The waffle-less shall again be waffling.

11 Likes

are those Lego waffles or jenga?

3 Likes

I’m on a beetroot binge recently.

I made a beetroot / cauliflower / mushroom curry last night. The beetroot and cauliflower were both chopped and baked in the oven first. Then onion and garlic was fried in coconut oil, after which various curry spaces were added and cooked a couple of minutes longer before adding a tin of coconut milk and all of the baked beetroot and simmering for a while. Then that mixture got blended into a spicy red sauce to be added to the baked cauliflower. Mushrooms weren’t in the recipe at all, but I had a heap of them that I wanted to use up, and how could mushrooms in curry go wrong? So I cooked those in the pot while I was doing the blending bit, and then they got added to the rest when it all got combined. It was a good decision. Yum!

I was up a bit late cooking that, and then ate way too much of it before going to bed, but I regret nothing!

Today I bought more beetroot.

5 Likes

They’re anything you want them to be. Except creamy cos I ran out of cream.

1 Like

More homemade hummus and shawarma. Mmm.

9 Likes

I made the cauliflower cream potato dauphinois again today for my partner’s birthday.

She’d told me the other day that next year for her “vegetarian month” she’s going to include “vegan fortnight” for the first time, and that the above recipe, the first time I’d made it, had been the thing that had convinced her to do this. I never know what she’ll go for, but apparently it’s that :‍)

I’m not sure if this was her way of requesting that I make it again this weekend, but it seemed like the thing to do.

7 Likes

My wife always says she married me for my scones and my mashed potatoes

5 Likes

We know it’s getting cold when making red cabbage sounds enticing

10 Likes

More “too much fruit” inspired baking

9 Likes

Finley and Kate have been baking

6 Likes

I have questions…

1 Like

It looks like a Buche Noel that took a very sharp turn maybe? Were they playing Heat?

2 Likes

It’s a Yule log.

Size and taste have been opted for over delicacy and presentation

7 Likes

This is the way

2 Likes

Boxing Day fondue

5 Likes

Vienetta affogato. Utterly incredible

11 Likes

Yum!

My partner and I made a vegan tiramisu last week while we had visitors. The recipe described it as “amazingly decadent” yet I severely underestimated what they meant by that – it wasn’t until I was making the middle layer and realised that it said half a cup of maple syrup that the nature of this thing became apparent.

I don’t think we got ours right – it wound up flatter and stickier than I was expecting (at least from the photo, if not necessarily from the ingredients) – but we had tiny portions and it was delicious. We dubbed it the “fudgeamisu”. There is so much of it still in the fridge!

7 Likes