What are you cooking?

Can you share the recipe and the cooking please?

Would be great to have an oven pizza up our sleeve

1 Like

My recipe says 15 minutes.

Also stretching is a function of how long flour and water have been together. You could improve the initial stretchiness if you just mix water and flour by hand and let it sit for half an hour before kneading.

1 Like

Pizza Dough

For the dough
2 1/4 cups (530 ml) warm water
1 tbsp sugar (12g) sugar
1 tbsp (9g) active dry yeast
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
1 tbsp (18 g) kosher salt
5 cups (600g) bread flour, plus more for working the dough (ends up being about 6 cups and change)
additional oil for greasing the dough
cornmeal, semolina flour, or coarse-ground whole wheat flour for dusting

The 5 cup starting point for the flour is very conservative/wet, but it’s that way intentionally so you don’t overshoot the amount by too much.

Also, I think Adam divides the pizza in 4: I divide it into 6 because either my peel is smaller than his, or my oven is. Regardless, 5-6 minutes at 550 (highest my oven will go) gives an almost perfect pizza. It’s really damn good. Just don’t go crazy with the toppings: this is a thin-crust recipe,it doesn’t have the structure to hold a tonne of stuff. I usually use one meat (salami, spicy precooked sausage, bresaola, pepperoni) and one not-meat (olives, thinly sliced sauteed peppers, spinach, arugula, thin tomato slices). Use less cheese than you think you need.

4 Likes

An autolyze (which is what the rest after adding water to flour is called) definitely makes a big difference. So do lots of things, some of which rarely get talked about. Speed of mixing is a big one. Commercial dough gets mixed rather violently, which is why I suggest turning mixer speed up. Another is dough conditioning additives. In NY, and in the most of the US east of somewhere between the Mississippi River and rocky mountains, high gluten flour sold into commercial markets is mostly treated with potassium bromate. KBr03 strengthens the dough, giving it more extensability and less elasticisty. it’s also generally considered a carcinogen, and is banned in Europe, Canada, China, India, and lots of other places, but not the US. In california, it requires a warning label, which means flour sold into California isn’t usually bromated, and mills producing for california don’t use it (which is why you don’t get it west o the Rockies). the actual health risk is very low, for cooked products, both because the amount used is low, and because it decomposes in heat (and modern production uses KBr to reduce the temperature it decomposes at).

If you’re not bothered by that, and you live somewhere you can get it, bromated flours improve thin crust pizzas immensely.

5 Likes

Captain’s Fried Chicken

7 Likes

Positively drooling… Login • Instagram

2 Likes

No photos tonight but had broccoli with garlic sauce, chow mein and char sui pork. Even ate it with chopsticks

3 Likes

I got the highest compliment for my cooking today. And for a dish that my partner usually doesn’t like that much: Pat Thai.

“That was like a mini vacation.”

I finally cobbled together a recipe that I felt I needed to write down. It is a mix of David Thompson’s recipe from “thai food” and Meera Sodha’s “Asien Vegetarisch” (I don’t know the English title of that one but you can guess.

If I had refrained from using the dried shrimp it would even have been vegan as my partner accidentally bought silk tofu a while back and I used that instead of the usual eggs.

This is one of my favorite dishes. Not favorite Thai dishes. Favorite dishes. It was the first thing I ate after arriving in Bangkok on my own (my partner being an employee with less vacation time was following 2 weeks later). That was 2014/15 for 6 weeks for me and 4 weeks for my partner. Great trip.

Sadly, I find Thai cooking to be a lot of work if you just make things for 2 people at home. The ingredient list for this is a page long in my notebook.

6 Likes

In college, a friend of a friend had spent a year in thailand, mostly smoking dope and learning to cook. He cooked a dinner for the house he and my friend lived in. Step one was a 100 mile trip to get ingredients not available locally. Step two was five or six of the housemates doing prep for him. Great dinner.

5 Likes

We have a very good Asian supermarket in about 15 minute bike distance. They carry a ton of Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Korean, Indian products—and those are just from cuisines that I occasionally need ingredients for. This is almost as good as some of the places I used to shop at in Portland. They had everything I needed today except the dried radish. And that was optional.

If I were using all these same products every day and could buy them fresh as needed, it would be easier. I love Thai food but preparing it is always so daunting and it is rarely as good when I make it as when someone who knows the cuisine inside-out does.

5 Likes

Nachos. Did not finish these. The salsa and guacamole are Thomasina Miers recipes. The guacamole was incredible

4 Likes

Homemade nacho chips?

2 Likes

I want to know, too. Those look so much more tasty than my feeble attempts from leftover (homemade) tacos.

2 Likes

Yes, you cut up tortillas and then deep fry them

2 Likes

My wife made Eton Mess ice cream

7 Likes

First attempt at pickling. We shall see!

5 Likes

The colour change in two hours is quite unexpected…

At least the ‘buttons’ on top of the jars have sucked themselves down so something went right.

5 Likes

Pickles are great! (I’ve pickled garlic, and eggs, and ginger…)

5 Likes

Don’t usually post in here, but I’m moderately proud of myself tonight. Made paneer tikka masala for the first time. The masala sauce is a package, so not home made for that part. When I went to do the paneer tikka, I discovered I didn’t have like half the stuff I needed for the marinade so I improvised and I think it came out pretty tasty!

12 Likes

My second attempt at the Basque cheesecake looks decidedly better than the first:

Also made some Welsh cakes

8 Likes