Triplanetary… play by forum

r1/r2/r3 mine.

d1 thrusts C again.

@Lordof1 to play.

I believe that makes me -2 for 12. Such is the life of the prospector.

Thrusting B, drifting for 3 turns. Also cursing the fuel capacity of this bloody ship.

There is an awful lot of luck in this game, isn’t there? If we play again, maybe we could give an extra prospecting roll for each five turns spent checking an asteroid or something? Maybe a plus one to the roll every time?

It was the randomness that drove my initial equipment selection. I didn’t want to adopt this strategy, but if z1 had been my only ship, I’d be pretty much out of it already.

I think the basic idea is to keep resources sparse so that we have to steal them from each other. But I agree, the luck element isn’t ideal.

If I hadn’t made a second strike when I did, I would end up out of fuel with no way to get back.

z2 arrives at mine r2. Your own mining can start next turn, but you can steal the 6 ore from the mine now. Let me know.

r1-2-3 continue to mine.

@denisbloodnok to play.

For my orders:
After the expiry of the previous order set - which ended at the last asteroid hex in that series, I did want to do something else with z1:
z1 Thrust E out of that asteroid hex.
z2 brake at asteroid hex (thrust D) and load ore.
(Sorry Roger, a guy’s gotta eat. I will leave a nice thank-you card behind, though)

Roger, sorry, my last move should have been thrust C and drift for 3 turns, not B, I apologise. You’d think I’d get the letters right after all this time. I’d normally just cope with my mistype, but this drifts me through asteroids with not enough fuel to recover if I get disabled.

OK, before I continue, please confirm that the errors are fixed.

Yep that was the plan, thank you

Yeah, I got really lucky. If I was stuck prospecting all over the place I could have wound up having to choose between another ship and refueling my first one.

Two questions:

1. T1 has 0.9 tons of ore and t2 has 9, correct?

2. If I enter a planet’s gravity well with a vector that would put me in orbit, can I immediately be considered to be in orbit around that planet? I.e., can I land on the planet face below that hex next turn?

① I have it as 0.8 and 8 but it’s entirely possible I’ve missed a turn. Indeed, I think I missed your second mining turn (t11). Corrected.

② Heh, no, this is one of the really unclear bits of the rules. I mentioned this right at the start of the thread when I think you weren’t here…

Okay, so I’d have to move before landing, but I can choose the hex side I land on. Can’t save fuel, but can land where I want to. Good enough!

T1 will spend one more turn mining and then pick up the contents of the mine and thrust D. When it enters Luna’s detection radius it will thrust B to be on course for Lunar orbit. As soon as it can, it will land on Luna A and sell its load.

T3 will be mining for a total of 20 turns if no one harasses it.

Wait. Can save fuel, can’t save time.

Currently waiting for:

@EyeZee to confirm that the latest map is correct for your intentions;

@denisbloodnok to play.

(Not trying to hassle you, just making sure I’m clear on where we are.)

No prob. My course and positions are correct. If you give me the upcoming turn number, I’ll try to include those in my orders from now on.

B please.

I am more than happy to be @ed when it’s me to play, especially in this game where there are so many preprogrammed orders that it might be my turn again right away.

Um. Are you sure you want to do that? That would give you a velocity of C+C+B, and only 2 fuel to slow down with.

I seem to have gone from 6 fuel to 3 as a result of thrusting C twice, but yes in any event - orbital speed is 1 and with judicious choice of when to be affected by Luna’s gravity, the last point of speed can become orbit.

If I haven’t made some error and do have 4 fuel, after that thrust B coast twice. Thrust D. Thrust F. Coast twice. Ship is affected by second Lunar gravity arrow and can now thrust F into orbit.

… and a question: can prospecting equipment and ore be transferred between ships with a like position and course, as fuel can (in “Looting and Rescue”, p8)? I guess “yes” since they could be looted from a disabled hostile ship.