Thematic Board Game Previews: Galactic Renaissance, Starship Captains, Epic Alliances & more!

2022-09-16T20:54:52Z

1 Like

Immediate visceral reactions, for which my scale is more or less (1) don’t care, (2) will play if someone waves it under my nose but will probably forget about it, (3) will seek it out for a demo, (4) will buy unplayed (very rare). I’m starting from the position of having lots of games I like and little space for new acquisitions, so I’m certainly being harsher than I was five or ten years ago.

00:23 Galactic Renaissance - Inis has never really appealed to me, though perhaps it should. And I tend to like maps in my space games. 2.
08:48 Starship Captains - not enthused by the queue management aspect, and that seems to be a significant part of the game. 3 falling to 2, depending on what the rest of the game is like.
16:10 Disney Sorcerer’s Arena: Epic Alliances - Disney. More to the point if I wanted this kind of cross-universe battler Unmatched is already out there and does interesting things with the terrain too. 1.
23:16 Sniper Elite: The Board Game - I already have V-Commandos, and Whitehall Mystery, and I’m unreasonably biased against video game adaptations. 2.
29:53 Dead by Daylight - being right next to Sniper Elite makes them look quite similar. Same considerations apply, really, and again because I haven’t played the game I get no sense of “ooh I already like that”. 2.
36:07 Lands of Galzyr - Titles like “[generic word] of [made-up word]” are a turn-off for me, and maybe it’s not as generic fantasy as some but with what little Ava had time to show it didn’t seem very exciting. 2.
41:54 Doctor Who: Nemesis - I have a friend who will have looked into this, so I’ll ask her what she thinks. I quite enjoy (classic) Who but this doesn’t seem to be giving the feel of a Who adventure (which Doctor Who: Time of the Daleks kind of does, ish) as much as it’s painting an IP onto a game. I may be being unfair. 2.
48:26 Vengeance: Roll & Fight - I might try the original some time; but there’s nothing here that screams “I am going to be fun for Roger to play”. What’s thematic about “I can’t shoot you because I didn’t roll any pistols”? 2.

2 Likes

It’s a completely different publisher and designer, but the descriptions of the mechanics make it sound very similar to [Disney/Marvel/Star Wars] Villainous. Kinda feels dodgy to copy so much of a game.

3 Likes

Hmm, with more emphasis on the locations and less on working up your own specific path to victory, but yes. (ObThingIAlwaysSay: not that we actually know who any of the humans behind Villainous are.)

2 Likes

In an episode of Ludology podcast I think Emma Larkins mentioned having some involvement on Villainous. Possibly as designer, possibly as developer. It’s been a while and I can’t remember details.

2 Likes

I was quite interested in Galactic Renaissance, being a big Inis fan. I’ll be keeping an eye out, as my wife is also quite keen on Inis.

The Disney game looked basically like Unmatched with a bigger license. Nohing else really grabbed my attention.

1 Like

Yeah, Galactic Inis sounds lovely. Going to get that one unless the reviews are abysmal.

I was hoping that Starship Captains was FTL-the-Board-Game… but it’s not, and that’s probably for the best. Not really interested.

We just received our copies of Vengeance: Roll & Fight at work… but I was really lukewarm on the original Vengeance (although I let somebody else teach me, which often means it was taught wrong…). Huge swathes of nothing happening, long turns, and too swingy. This sounds like an interesting Escape Curse of the Temple reskin, which sounds great… but it’s $50CAD. Which is hella-expensive for a Roll & Write.

3 Likes