The resurrected miniatures painting and showing off thread

Do you find that it is harder to motivate yourself without a competition to get ready for, or to have a painted set ready for game night?

1 Like

Anyone who is planning on painting a mini this weekend, perhaps consider snapping before and after photos to post with the “passwords” to enter the Gen Can’t mini painting competition if that sounds of interest.

“The winner will receive a MEGA Paint Set featuring 50 Army Painter paints and two brushes. We’ve also got an Army Painter Wet Palette for an honorable mention, and a set of Hobby Brushes for an Encouragement Award! No matter your experience, you’ve got a chance to win some fantastic prizes.”

https://www.gencant.com/gencant2020-painting-contest/

4 Likes

Not specifically, no. I have a novel I’m trying to finish so I can self-publish it in August, but I’m struggling a LOT with the pointlessness of everything. Why bother finishing it so I can pay for editing so nobody will read it. Why bother getting out of bed, actually…

I get phases like this sometimes. It will pass. But it’s a struggle to do anything, even if I normally enjoy it (like writing, painting, and playing guitar).

Anyway, the first two months of isolation I painted like a machine, and there were no tournaments or competitions to paint for then either. Just a phase.

8 Likes

I got antsy enough waiting for my paint to show that I ran out and grabbed some red so I could put my colour scheme to the test. Reasonably happy with the results, though I learned a few lessons with this weird “corrosion” technical paint already that I’ll be applying to the other panels. The photo REALLY exaggerates the rust effect for some reason.

[EDIT] I’ve got the rest of the panels all painted and weathered, and I think it’s looking great! Going to be just some finer details and then it’s time to seal it up!

5 Likes

I need to do a little bit of cleanup and mix some green for some more wiring, but I’m pretty much ready to varnish. Any last minute suggestions are more than welcome before I seal it all in!

[EDIT] Noting that the images are way brighter/higher contrast than in real life and things will get a final wash of grime.

8 Likes

I like it. It feels like a building from one of the old command and conquer games with that bright red.

4 Likes

I had considered going with white (which I still think could look excellent), but figured that might be too risky with all the mess these newbie hands were going to be making of it. I thought blue might be too contrasty with the rust, so I went for red just figuring it would afford me a little leeway with my ham fists. As soon as I laid down the first panel I got that C&C vibe and got plenty excited for my choice.

Again though, that red isn’t nearly as saturated as what shows there; the contrast and saturation on my phone’s default settings are off the charts, apparently. I’m actually a bit afraid to lay down some agrax earthshade (the plan) for fear of dulling it too much. Gonna go in with an easy hand.

[EDIT] There we go. First bit in the bag, and the template for the rest. Thought I’d leave the background clutter in there for a little progression reminder.

6 Likes

Finally got the base coat down. Need to work on some blending and details.

8 Likes

I’m making my jokes about the home remodel being terrain building, but this is inspiring! Nicely done.

1 Like

Trying to get this batch of models done today. We’ll see.

I don’t know why, but these Yu Jing have been an enormous slog. I don’t think it’s the models… just everything seems to be a slog these days.

Oh well! Gotta keep at it. At least they’re getting done, right? Right.

6 Likes

Why are all the shelves at slightly different heights? It makes me twitchy…

1 Like

These are coming along slowly, but pretty happy with how they’re turning out

9 Likes

I know! It makes me twitchy until they’re full.
The two outermost stacks are for books, with nonfiction on the left and fiction on the right. Boardgames go in the middle. We need room on the nonfiction side for textbooks and music, and room on the fiction side for mass market paperbacks and picturebooks.
We had the shelves all aligned until about two months ago, but it was not as efficient as we needed, especially since this room will double as our teaching hub for the beginning of this school year. I’ll post a final pic once everything is in, and hopefully that will ease the twitches.

2 Likes

I got a new toy

Did a first test with it

Really pleased with the test. I didn’t use a normal paint brush at all. I’m excited to see where I am in 6 months when I’m used to this tool

6 Likes

The Black Watch all finished.

8 Likes

That’s some impressive tartan. Are they 15mm?

1 Like

Yep. Well, ‘big 15mm’ to be precise, so about 18mm foot to eye.

The tartan wasn’t the worst bit to be honest. The hat and sock patterns were much more frustrating.

1 Like

That’s not quite as off as Warhammer ostensibly being 28mm. Does scale creep happen more slowly at smaller scales?

2 Likes

I’ve not been collecting the small scales for long enough to give you a proper answer to that. But I have read a recent article on exactly that question.

I think a bigger problem for historics is the range of manufacturers and how the different lines stack up. One company’s 15mm (or any other size) can be pretty different to another company. You need to do a little due diligence if you want to mix and match between ranges.

The image below is the range of different Highlanders I got from four different companies. They are displayed in pairs, with the first 6 (from L-R) all sold as 18mm. The last on the right is a ‘true’ 15mm.

15/18mm has been established for a fair while now. A few ranges of 10mm are more like 12mm. 28mm is usually a pretty set height, although the proportions of the minis can vary a lot (i.e. Warlord Games models tend to be pretty chunky compared to the lines made by the Perry’s).

1 Like

And just as our weather drops below 100, the work is done! Hopefully the full shelves won’t seem so anxiety-inducing. This is the cleanest this room will be until we remodel again in 15 years. Now! Time to paint some gerblins!

14 Likes