The Pearple's Choice Awards

(Guess What I almost forget to back up.)

The Pearple’s choice awards was/is an annual discussion and vote on the best the boardgame world had to offer.

The Pearple’s Choice 2016–Power to the Pearple! - Board Games & Card Games - Shut Up & Sit Down Discussion Forum.pdf (127.6 KB)

Pearple’s Choice 2017–Your Numbers Are Up! - Board Games & Card Games - Shut Up & Sit Down Discussion Forum.pdf (122.7 KB)

Pearple’s Choice 2018–The Year of the Firehose - Board Games & Card Games - Shut Up & Sit Down Discussion Forum.pdf (132.8 KB)

6 Likes

Matt mentioned in the migration post that they would “keep hosting [the Pearple’s Choice] on the main site, and give it more prominence here in the future.” But I agree it’s worth saving here just in case.

3 Likes

Any plans for the 2019 edition?

5 Likes

Hey @Berthout! Good to see you here.

Unsure at this point. They were always run in December, but games released later in the year missed out, hence the delay. Now it’s unclear whether the awards are becoming an official thing or not.

I am going to try clarifying.

3 Likes

That would be great. I joined just after the voting had stopped last year so it would be good to have a say.

If voting was on here it would be a great way for them to support the migration as well.

3 Likes

It would be a good way to help launch the new forum. :pear:

5 Likes

I haven’t heard anything new about the Pearple’s Choice but I get the impression it’s continuing on the main SU&SD site for people who use Discord and Disqus. This is fine and good and any connection between this place and SU&SD is entirely unofficial.

For people who are on the forum, though, would you be interested in nominating and voting on your favourite games?

My initial thoughts on categories:

• new game (BGG has a 2020 or later publication date)
  • new-to-me game (open nomination)
  • (type) game (using BGG types: Abstract Strategy, Customisable, Thematic, Family, Children’s, Party, Strategy, Wargames; to be validly nominated, (type) must appear in the top two types on BGG)

Ideas very welcome!

7 Likes

I’d vote.

I’m trying to think what often comes up in these things

Best artwork
Best expansion
I think for Covid times, best game to play via Zoom, best game to play online, best online platform?

4 Likes

Weirdly I was going to email Matt at the beginning of November about this…

3 Likes

I’d be in for that. I like the idea of best game to play on video chat etc. Plus best solo game?

4 Likes

Yeah, definitely!

2 Likes

If the pearple’s choice is going along on discord and so on, should we rename our own thing? Something like tekeli.likes awards or maybe even a better joke if someone has one?

1 Like

There is no mention on the discord. At least yet…

I think a best socially distanced game could make hopefully a one year only appearance as a category.

3 Likes

I certainly don’t plan to claim “Pearple’s Choice” for anything we do here, unless it doesn’t happen on Discord/Disqus at all (which seems unlikely).

Looking at other people’s suggestions:

Best game of 2020
Best [type] game of 2020 for each of the 8 BGG types, plus “Soloable”
Best artwork (in a 2020 game)
Best expansion (published in 2020)
Best new-to-me game (any game is eligible)
Best socially distanced game (any game is eligible)

6 Likes

So new to me game is the equivalent of the old Erik Tengland game from a previous year I only got to play for the first time this year award?

2 Likes

That’s my thought, yes. I suppose it really ought to be (any game with pub date prior to 2020).

1 Like

I would add: Best game review of the year (could be only susd like last year or any)

5 Likes

Good to see you @Berthout

1 Like

Please Note.

I’ve pinged SU&SD about what they are doing, and will let you know any responses.

8 Likes