The Night Watch Hyper-Detailed Photo

This is not really a thread, but rather an opportunity to post a link to the Dutch Rijkmuseum page where they’ve posted the most detailed photograph ever taken of Rembrandt’s The Night Watch. It’s one of my favorite paintings and the level of detail viewable here is absolutely stunning:

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/most-detailed-ever-photograph-of-the-night-watch-goes-online

12 Likes

That is amazing!

(You can really see the skin condition on Nobby Nobbs…)

7 Likes

I’ve had the pleasure in seeing this painting in person, but the resolution on that photo is amazing.

3 Likes

It seems a bit unreal… in that if I were to view this painting in person, I would certainly not get close enough to observe this much detail.

I feel as though I’m about to get harassed by a museum guard, as I am quite closely (to a degree that would be uncomfortable in person) zoomed into the puzzling expression of the guy holding the rifle, just to the right of center.

2 Likes

What an awesome photo. I absolutely need to share this to more people. Thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s amazing! Definately sharing this around.

And I think this guy has seen things… things he can no longer talk about…

2 Likes

That is also one of my favourite paintings of all times. And I have been lucky enough to see it in Amsterdam, if a bit hungover at the time. Still amazing. Thanks for sharing.

5 Likes

My absolute favorite painting of all time is Las Meninas by Velazquez. I’d love to see this sort of thing done with it!

2 Likes

At an old workplace, we once got a copy of this painted, with all the staff’s faces in place of the originals. (That’s me in the foreground on the left, dressed all in red.) It’s kinda weird seeing the original again : )

2 Likes

My favorite painting is Orazio Gentileschi’s The Lute Player. I like, especially, that it shows you the focus of the young woman’s attention, and that its somewhat odd, strained posture for her has a perfectly rational explanation.

2 Likes