The Crowdfunding Thread

How much is the base pledge? Obviously shipping to add

75 Eurobucks for 1 copy of the game

EDIT: I’m guessing the KS page is behind the times and the shipping to UK would be the “Rest of EU” rate of 32 spacebucks Euro – which is pretty steep if I’m honest

Too rich for me, although I have a feeling I’ll say that about most Kickstarter projects.

Is there much of a second hand market for 18xx (a buyer’s market I mean)

1 Like

Unfortunately, the secondhand market for 18xx games is fairly weak and, as such, it tends to be a “seller’s” market.

If you’re interested in a 18xx game and you don’t care which one (because you just don’t know the difference), 1846 is usually readily available anywhere you buy GMT games, but at the moment it’s between print-runs.

Additionally, for those of you of European orientation (or anywhere, I ordered from him and shipping to the US was extremely reasonable), Lonny Orgler’s games directly from Lonny’s site (https://lonny.at), is fairly reasonable. I think 18CZ is likely a great entrypoint for anybody.

And then, of course, if you are crafty, there are a number of games available free as print-and-play; of those, 1889 is often cited as the best entrypoint for the new-to-18xx-games-and-want-to-print-and-play category.

5 Likes

Awaken Realms’ standalone Mars horror expansion to Nemesis has launched:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/nemesis-lockdown/
Kickstarter seems to be buckling under the load at present, but I don’t think there are limited tiers so I can wait for that to change.

1 Like

If that’s not an interesting note about the popularity of boardgames on Kickstarter, I don’t know what is.

1 Like

UK is listed in the €17 euro postage estimate range. Still a chunk but much better than €32

1 Like

I guess if I ever back any 18xx game then it must be this. My father is from Dortmund and… I should go get a picture of the room full of trains in the basement… not that he is much of a boardgamer but he did play Die Crew and Azul with us for Christmas.

Edit: and there is beer!

3 Likes

Ahh, I missed that line. That’s nearly twice as good!

“The Introduction Game” mode is a very simplified "euro"y game, it looks like. Heavier still than Die Crew and Azul, but probably not exceedingly so.

But, I would say, it’s probably too much to pay if you’d only ever do the Introduction Game.

1 Like

Back it now and you got 6 months to ease him into it. You can start with TtR!

2 Likes

Well, atm he is spending all his spare time playing golf and watching Dortmund loose against Bayern… so I guess I won’t get much of a chance.

@pillbox I have been wanting an 18xx game in my collection for a while. One set in a town to which I have a connection and that has breweries in it… seems like the right one :slight_smile:

So this was a bit of an expensive click on this thread :slight_smile:

3 Likes

[pillbox drums his fingers together malevolently]

Welcome to the sickness…

“Ahh beer. The cause of and solution to all of life’s problems” – Homer Simpson

“Mmmmmm, beer…” – pillbox (usually after 5pm)

1 Like

I can’t swear there wasn’t something else going on, but the timing was suggestive. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well, Nemesis is up. I’m in a spot, as the new box ended up appealing to me a lot more than I expected, but the pricing on it really seems to suck. For a few bucks more I could just get the original and 2 expansions, and it’s the theme and game that I was otherwise wanting in the first place. No chance I’m going all-in, I am the antithesis of rich! What do do!

2 Likes

If I were you, I’d just pick up the original box as cheaply as possible.

Maybe throw a dollar on the new campaign if that’ll get you access to the pledge manager.

2 Likes

Things to consider: 1) The core box will be available at retail even if it’s not right this second. Not clear if Lockdown will be yet. 2) The core box is a known quantity, Lockdown isn’t. 3) Awaken Realms heavily skews the value towards core pledges - addons are usually a lot worse money-to-content ratio. 4) They will use (and probably leave open for months) a pledge manager, so if that helps you could spread it between KS and the pledge manager.

2 Likes

Good tips from the both of you, and I’d normally totally just do retail with the core box, but my preferred OLGS has set the price at the same rough cost as the pledge, which includes the two expansions. I’d end up paying more overall due to shipping, but it still wins that proposition, especially since I’m ok to wait for it.

Meanwhile though, there are some really compelling changes/additions to this standalone box. I went in expecting to pass on it immediately (again, the primary appeal is Aliens-not-Aliens) but they caught my attention.

1 Like

I’ve never been more conflicted about any game as I am with Nemesis.

The first point is the theme and production. It absolutely screams to me!!!

Beyond that, is the actual game.

On the one hand, there are a number of positive reviews on BGG, the game has reached 33 on BGG, and SU&SD gave it a tentatively positive review.

On the other, SVWAG and Board Game Barrage have outright panned almost every aspect of the gameplay, as have a couple of other reviews.

It seems to be a game that survives on the story it tells more than the gameplay, as every positive review seems to discuss the feeling the game gave, or the stories people tell afterwards. I’m not sure that’s enough for me…

I also have zero interest in the hidden traitor game, and I’m not entirely sold on the full coop vs other games. The core elements of the game make it close to a game that could be perfect for me, I’m just not sure it gets there.

I’m genuinely extremely torn on this one…

2 Likes

It’s definitely the Awaken Realms game I’m most on the fence about due to the traitor elements. But from everything I’ve seen they are incredibly good at what they do and I’m all-in on anything they choose to do going forward if I have space and any interest at all.

(Which is to say, like, if they did a game completely premised on social deduction, I’d be out. Or, I dunno, a vicious stock-manipulation game or something. But an asymmetric mostly 2 player wargame the size of a workbench that I’m unlikely to get to play more than a couple times a year (The Edge: Dawnfall)? Certainly.)

1 Like