The Crowdfunding Thread

Great price for the all in edition. Always thought it was ludicrous how much they were selling a dozen cards for!

I’ll wait for the retail on the expansion. Their expansion pricing structure is messed up yet again, but hopefully will be a bit cheaper at retail if it’s the same as previous expansions.

I’m betting on the retail expansion price being the same as the ‘discounted’ price + VAT, without having to pay $17 for shipping (plus $3.40 on the VAT for the shipping).

Damn, looks like I missed out on the cloth bundle add-on already. Yeah, the Ultimate edition is a very good deal, especially considering UK prices for the 2nd ed base game.

You don’t want the cloth map. It’s illegible, which is not great for a game with the rules printed all over the map. It’s not completely unreadable, but it feels like the text takes a fraction more effort than the novelty is worth.

The benefit of the cloth bundle was the bags, but the bags are now standard in the all-in, so there’s really no point.

2 Likes

I was pretty sure I was going to use this Kickstarter (back when the news of it first started) to pick up the existing expansions.

The prices just don’t add up for me. I’ll see about picking up the 3 existing expansions retail (i.e. cheaper than offered on this campaign) and maybe eventually grab the new expansion if it seems too have a good reception

1 Like

As interesting as I find the game, I cannot see paying for a physical copy of Nemo’s War when it can be played for free, legally, on Tabletopia with a free account. There’s just so many components and it feels too luck based for me that I know if I owned it I would almost never play it. Good on those who like it though.

6 Likes

13 posts were split to a new topic: Boardgame apps vs physical games

While the theme is everything I like, and I’d normally be all over this for £14, it’s £10 postage.

Now, this could be a nice under-£20 game. But there is absolutely no way that the KS edition is an over-£30 game. I’d want at least a 1/3 off both those prices.

So I guess I wait until retail when it will presumably go for Under £20-ish and I can pick it up without postage? That’s assuming the game is any good, because from the videos it looks super basic. (But if anyone wants to sell me on an untested game, “Pretty Autumn leaves” will do it)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3emmegames/momiji?ref=discovery&term=momiji

3 Likes

This is the biggest issue with small box KSs! The economy of scale just doesn’t work for a bespoke delivery to each backer’s door.

A more integrated retail system would be great: where a backer could see the nearest store backing retail, and the campaign page provide the pathway to book via them as a ‘KS hub’. But I expect that dangerously blurs the line between the cut of profit for the retailer and KS, and risks turning stores into effectively a post office collection service. But if the retailer is pledging anyway, doesn’t that boost the number of people buying from them and allow them to gauge some degree of local interest more easily?

4 Likes

If the retailers could cut out the middleman of the distributor, it may be beneficial to both creator and retailer. Of course, then the distributors are getting the raw deal… and different people will have different thoughts about that.

That said, if these pledge managers could partner with retailers to make this sort of thing more feasible, I’d be a big fan of that, at least initially. At some point post-Kickstarter it’s probably best for everyone to enter traditional retail logistics channels.

1 Like

Kickstarter will always shut someone out of the food chain, that’s in its nature. Retailers face a far worse time of it than distributors in the current mode…

1 Like

Yeah. I kind of buried my point: retailers probably can’t risk pissing off their distributors.

I really hope it’s a very friendly business, but it would be very unfortunate if a small (like most game stores) retailer burned a bridge with one of the very, very few distributors over some Kickstarter-direct programs.

1 Like

In the UK, the only distributor of any size belongs to Asmodée.

1 Like

In Canada there are 3 major distributors of games: Asmodee owns 1 of them. The other two carry about half the stock that Asmodee’s does… but at least there are options.

That stated, in the pandemic all shipping dates, all resupplies, all release dates, everything has become meaningless. One of the distributors is two weeks behind in orders (right at the cusp of the holidays, no less).

2 Likes

Got this last week.

4 Likes

Ooh! Never heard of it, but I do so want to know more about pirates in a historical setting

1 Like

:rage: Where’s mine!? :rage:

Is definitely weird being one of the last to get it. As an American, I’m always first (usually,) especially here in the middle of the country. It’s a weird feeling :hushed:

6 Likes

Didn’t know that there was an upcoming board game about the First Barbary War. Might have a nose to find out some more.

1 Like

Excuse me for digging up this old post. I just saw someone offering the game in a FB group and remembered somebody talking about on here. While looking into it, I noticed that a new version of this game will be published next year by Sorry We Are French. I thought that might be of interest for people here. There’s all new art though, and I think I prefer the more unique look of the first edition.

Anyway, I snatched the first edition for a ridiculous price, so I’m excited to give this a try.

3 Likes

Vasel’s Law strikes again!

3 Likes

I agree. If there’d never been the earlier version, I wouldn’t have minded the newer artwork. But looking at the first edition, I’m happy I got my copy years ago. The artwork and game was based on Ukiyo-e from the Edo period, and it’s singular. I understand that “Westernizing” the artwork will make it appeal to more people — but it’s a shame it has to be that way.

1 Like