The Fuzzies: A Ghost Decorating a Cake (Shut Up & Sit Down Review)

2021-08-19T21:22:24Z

1 Like

Ah… they reviewed it. That explains why someone swooped on to my copy in BGG.

4 Likes

But they didn’t give it a Recommends badge; likely due to their professional relationship with the publisher

1 Like

I normally love dexterity games, but this one looks so naff that I just… I can’t. It can’t possibly be good, can it?

3 Likes

I had the exact opposite reaction. It looks so stupid and yet so ridiculously fun! I might never see it in store, but if I do, I might just pounce.

3 Likes

I bought it, we’ve had one game, which was a bit unexciting. And I love stacking type games (I own Riff Raff, Bamboleo, Junk Art, Men at Work,Rhino hero, Animal Upon Animal, and probably more).

Have to try again, see how it goes

3 Likes

I backed this game based on the strength of the publisher, Palm Court. But after playing it a few times, I would rather play OG Rhino Hero or Men at Work or Animal Upon Animal

3 Likes

I remember when the KS was out someone said it was like the publisher had bought 5 freight containers of fuzzy balls and needed to sell them as fast as possible. It hasn’t left my head since.

7 Likes

This is the weirdest thing ever, but of course Matt would figure out a strategy to trap his opponents… … of course he would.

5 Likes

I do really like the 1-3 forfeits saved for the next round, that’s great.

2 Likes

So I brought this home yesterday, and my partner and I have instantly developed a rivalry. We’ll be playing more today. I can see why folks aren’t necessarily getting wowed by the game, but here’s why it’s hit for us, and why it absolutely has a place alongside my copies of Junk Art, Rhino Hero and Men at Work.

1. Sets up in seconds. In that time you’ve taught the game, to anyone over 4.

2. Yes, it’s basically-Jenga, but I find the (somewhat controversial) material choice here to be utterly unique in its execution. I can’t think of any other stacking or reshaping game that uses an amorphous structure, and the fluid ripples that radiate through the entire thing any time you prod at it is fantastic. You have to approach this quite differently than other games.

3. The goofy “party game rules” cards are actually pretty well considered. It doesn’t feel like Quelf or anything too over the top, yet each one of the (I think only 5?) rules have serious consequences. Covering one eye is absolutely brutal, especially when paired with a non-dominant hand rule.

4. This one is hyper-specific to us, but we played while the baby slept and wow, does that ever ratchet up the tension. Nice to have a wild game we can enjoy on our breaks which can be enjoyed quietly.

[EDIT] An opinion on said materials: My copy cost $25+tax CAD from a local shop, or just under $30. The package design is what you’re paying for here. It’s a compact, self-contained, very transportable little package with a deck of cards and of course the rules, and with those elements on their own, I think they’ve added real value.

In some ways I think if the fuzzies themselves are that easily replaced with a trip to Michael’s, then it’s a boon. One real downside is that the game absolutely has a shelf-life highly dependent on your ability to care for the little puffballs.

[DOUBLE EDIT] Okay, this is, like, dumb chess for us already. “Like competitive bonsai with alien peas” is so apt it almost hurts. We’ve blown through the deck in what is currently a 30 minute epic, on a VERY precarious pause due to the baby waking up. This sits very comfortably in what I feel is a pretty well curated dexterity collection. It’s the kind of game where I keep a backup.

8 Likes

… damnit, I’m going to have to get this, aren’t I?

I can’t find Junk Art anywhere, and I need something more transportable than Rhino Hero Super Battle or Ice Cool, which are too dang big to bring anywhere most of the time.

… damnit. Fine! Fine. Alien Pea Chess it is.

7 Likes

There’s always regular Rhino Hero too. The box size is why I never went in for Super Battle.

2 Likes

Agree with size. Super Battle is also a bit too stable for my taste. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Very nearly bought it today because “Knuffies” is just the best word and I like words. It would go very well into the basket with Brew (I just stumbled across Spacebiff’s review of that one)…

Oh, and someone tell Matt that there is no silent K in German. The K sound is the same as in Cthulu except followed by “nuffies” and not “thulu”

6 Likes

By the way, this might prove true indefinitely. I went on a Pretzel bender earlier in the year before things got too bad. If you haven’t started looking at second-hand, you might want to.

@Marx take note of point 4 in my initial post by the way. This is the kind of game I’d take to the library to really dial up the thrill. I think Matt’s point about it not feeling quite right as a party game is pretty spot on. Not that it needs to be played quietly of course, but so far the vibe is a little more meticulous, elephant nose scissorhands aside!

3 Likes

Good news if you are looking for Junk Art: Leisure Games has a restock of the wooden edition due at the end of the month so presumably it’s doing another print run at the moment:

7 Likes

Also Men At Work is coming back in the Pegasus edition soonish. At least all my OGS have it listed for sometime around Spiel. I am tempted to get it. Also it was available the other day in that shop in Belgium… so…

6 Likes

Is it still available in that shop in Belgium?!

3 Likes

Yes it is. I’ll send you a link. I’ve ordered from them multiple times. Quite happy :slight_smile:

2 Likes