THE FIRST AFTERNOON: Hubertus & Uilorarard

Uillorard grimaces. “I wish we could have found a better connection. But keep watching, maybe? We can find out his next move, or make a guess, I hope.”

“So?” says the rider who was left with the horses, when the knight comes back and reclaims his mare.

“Our Scottish friend is… Looking for someone. Looking for something… I’ve got the feeling that he’s serving more than one master. Still he’s a good source of intelligence about our uncanny neighbours. We can be useful to one another… But he’s not in the least bit trustworthy. Some reaver or adventurer, I think, who left his parents’ house young and has lived by his wits ever since. We will meet again in a while…”

And then the knight got up on his horse and before he rode off took something from under his tunic, that had been hanging out of sight around his neck. He bowed his head while holding it and murmured some words… that turned into a crackling, rustling, whistling sound just before the whole vision turns into white blankness.

“Rot,” said Julia. He has a relic. We will have to be careful not to attract any attention when we try to scry on him next. It seems that getting the horse instead was actually a stroke of luck. He’d have known in the instant if we’d gone up against his patron saint’s protection." She calls up her apprentice and hands over the bit of horse hair. “Fix this for me. The way I showed you. Follow the instructions you wrote down in your notebook for this first time.”

“Well,” she says to the two of you, “what next?”

Uillorard watches attentively, not able to make out the english perfectly but doing his best. “Did he say Scotsman? Maybe we should go talk to him? I can barely understand English folk, let alone one of them, but I can protect you, Hubertus.” He looks at Julia, “Do we have a legal expert who can look things over and maybe ask the King for a representative to shield us from local trouble? You said we have a royal charter, right?”

[Note: possible in for my companion]

“We do. One that grants the seneschal’s ancestor the right of the manor ‘in return for certain services done the Crown of England by Julia of Jerbiton and her companions.’ Which clause I should have had removed… But I was young and vain and not thinking of the implications in Hermetic Law.”

“I will have our friend with the legal training have a look at it from the mundane law point of view. But if the Constable is working with a Hermetic faction then the consequence of my gaining the right of the manor by interfering between mundane factions… We could be in trouble…”

“There was… A Scottish covenant. They were an enemy of ours some time ago but I had dismissed them from my mind due to hearing they had fallen on hard times. If they are again moving to get involved in our affairs… It would explain much.”

Let me add that I’ve started to enter Sir Ranulph into the Metacreator and it’s cutting up rough again.

Could you take a glimpse at the thread on the character so we can progress and have him turn up?

“If they’re sending the sheriff after us, we might be able to build a pretty solid case for mundane interference, and deprivation of magical power, right? Maybe we should consult our local Quaesitor? Maybe a reverse claim will give us bargaining power?”