The Crew(s!) Review - A Trick-Taking Triumph

2021-08-12T18:19:05Z

2 Likes

I take great joy when pitching The Crew (we haven’t had the sequel in the store yet, but HOPEFULLY SOON!) using the following line:

“There are four suits. Blue, pink, green, and yellow. And then there’s a power suit, used to be called a trump suit but we’re never calling it that again.”

(And then, critically, just barreling on with the pitch without drawing attention to the line)

I love The Crew. It’s fantastic.

8 Likes

One of the best games I bought last year. I don’t think I’ll get the deep sea one as it came across as more of the same but different. I’ve haven’t really played much of the first game

2 Likes

DAAA CREEEEEW :rocket: :rocket:

2 Likes

On the one hand I can agree that it’s a great game.

On the other hand I think I’m burning out on it a bit. One of the regulars at Local Gaming Group wants to play it every session, so I’ve got 16 BGA plays logged (and each one of those had multiple rounds in it). We like to chat during our games, so that’s a bit of a strain; more seriously, we’re about 22 missions in with the four-player group (the five-player group takes longer because we don’t meet as often and the game is harder), and they’re feeling quite samey. Much like Railroad Ink or NMBR 9, the difficulty can vary hugely depending on the random draw of mission cards (oh look, I have to win blue 4 before any other goal, and someone else has to win blue 5), so even when we’ve completed a mission it doesn’t feel as if we’ve fully understood it – we could try it again and quite possibly fail.

I’m not going to object when that guy wants to play it, not yet, but I’m definitely not getting the fun out of it that I did at first (though I have learned a lot about trick-taking techniques).

6 Likes

I formed the following opinions on the “no comms” rules when introducing the game…

8 Likes

Also:

The Crew 2: Electricktaking Boogaloo

Surely.

7 Likes

Haven’t found time for the review yet. We played The Crew online quite a bit at the start of the pandemic because there is this awesome scripted TTS mod… then we turned to other things. I will still play whenever anyone wants, I just find the reverse trick taking puzzle so satisfying.

The Deep Sea one is even better IMO. You have the more varied—and more random and sometimes unbeatable—contracts that for even crazier levels. Cannot wait to play this with a larger group live again (but then… backlog backlog backlog)

In German it’s the Trumpf suit which always reminds me of John Oliver.

5 Likes

I went with “The Crew 2: Crew Harder”, but would also accept “The Crew 2: The Crewer”, or “The Crew 2: Crews.”

5 Likes

We can’t leave out “Crew Fast, Crew Furious”.

My brain’s best effort, however, was an unexpected spin-off:
“Karaoke Crews: Cruising for a Crew Sing”.

5 Likes

Would you suggest that choosy crewers choose to Crew 2 too?

4 Likes

VictorViper,
I won’t do it.
I can’t say it.
I won’t crew it.

6 Likes

Too many puns are acrewing in this thread.

6 Likes

The question is not whether to crew or not to crew. It’s whether you always want more of a good thing :slight_smile: And the second bite is even better as more spices reveal themselves…

I have now seen the review and if you just have a look at all the different new cards you may have to fulfill those are just so much fun… if you enjoyed the first, you are going to love the second. But I am with Tom that if you have not played trick tacking games before you may want to start at the first. If you didn’t like the first: you won’t like the second one either. If you are sick of the first, the second may provide welcome enrichment of the system or you may still be sick of the first having played, too much…

I disagree with Tom about one thing: even in the original game sometimes you stumble into situations that are impossible to solve from the first trick. It does happen more often in Deep Sea.

5 Likes

You lot are being very crewed.

7 Likes

So you are saying it is easy to get screwed over by the game?

5 Likes

You people are all crowing to much about your own jokes :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Yeah, you’re right. We’ve acrewed a lot and many of them don’t hold up to screwtiny. Some of them have been excrewtiating - some have been unscrewpulous or even dowright crewl. I think that it’s crewcial we recrewt more moderators; if some crewsader was screwpiously screwtinising all our posts it might stop this from recrewdescing.

6 Likes

Ya had me up to this one.

Reaccuring?

Well as far as I could be happy with a string of puns, I’m happy with the word (recrudescing) - it means what I wanted it to mean. No need to screw things up by changing it.

3 Likes