The 15th Annual Golden Geek Awards

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2652238/15th-annual-golden-geek-awards-winners-2020

Some interesting results… I like the discussion in the comments about JOTL being a heavy game…

3 Likes

The only thing I voted “for” in the only category I knew enough about to vote in didn’t even make runner-up.

2 Likes

Remember, these are “peoples’ choice” awards, a.k.a. why are people so… people!?

2 Likes

Yes, not as good as Pearple!!!

2 Likes

I’m highly disappointed that Fleetwood Mac didn’t won “Best Band Ever”

4 Likes

I’ve defended Wingspan in a number of places and ways… But I really regret buying the Oceania expansion… It’s really underwhelming.

1 Like

But seriously now, I think I was only interested on Jaws of the Lion and the wargames line-up. Imperial Struggle and Versailles 1919 are in my to-play list once restrictions are lifted.

2 Likes

The only reason I was considering giving Wingspan a go… thanks for the input.

I thought Root: Underworld would win it with two very good factions to add to the mix, but the shadow of Wingspan is mighty.

@Benkyo have you dipped your toe on Imperial Struggle?? Looks interesting coming from the Twilight Struggle factory…

2 Likes

Nah. Queen, mate. No competition there… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I guess I should be clear: Oceania makes it too complicated. Wingspan’s best virtue was its accessibility. I read through the Oceania rulebook and was thinking too myself the entire time, “Who am I willing to explain this to?” I concluded, “nobody”.

Maybe one person, but I have a lot more games I’d rather play with him once we can start getting together again.

2 Likes

I am interested, but not enough to have actually tried it out yet.

3 Likes

On Mars took best artwork? That’s not even peak O’Toole in 2020.

2 Likes

I only care that Jagged Earth didn’t win best expansion.
I only played Oceania once and… thought it made the game easier with the nectar acting as joker.
But it is not to be placed above Spirit Island or Root.

The other thing I care about is that there is a solo for 7 Wonders Duel :slight_smile:

Other than that… just like the Goodreads awards whatever is popular wins.

Yes, solo 7 Wonders sounds very interesting

Games get SdJ badges or Dice Tower Approved or SUSD recommends but I have not seen a Golden Geek sticker anywhere. Small groups of experts casting informed votes is different from the internet hivemind having stuck Wingspan in its collective teeth. (I still like Wingspan this is not to diss that game)

Glad JOTL did well, it’s fantastic. I’d actually played a few more of these games than last year, although only the one I voted for has come anywhere.

Glad for SVWAG they won and happy BGB came third. The podcast is a weird one because you get better continued exposure for placing.

2 Likes

Am I being daft but what is GOTY?

Its Game of the Year, isn’t it? Just ignore me…

8 Likes

Love the comments. “It’s just the BGG hotness” … Well, yeah. It’s user voted!!! It’s not going to be careful deliberation over unsung gems.

5 Likes

Well, BGG hotness gets tweaked by competitions that require you to look at the BGG page. :slight_smile:

3 Likes