Technology will make your life easier

Knitter of quilts for squirrels.

I had an odd day at work today. Spent all morning applying something to an old bit of app. It is so unfashionable that google refuses to remember it’s existence for my searches so I was having to retrofit from a step further on. This led to VS giving me an error about an object not existing in the context. Much head scratching and crowbarring words in to search ensued. With a meeting coming up I stopped in a huff and just watched some entertaining videos. Half an hour in to the meeting the compiler suddenly decided it now understood and the error floated off. I assume there was something caching and I’d have been interested which change was the effective one but it is nice to go in to the weekend with the thing I’d been doing for 2 days working.

7 Likes

Try inventing some punctuation. The guy who invented the semicolon? Retired already.

I’m told you can also run Belgian Boulangeries at the same time. Also worth considering.

4 Likes

I think you should change. I have been told by some people that API is the proper way of testing now.

I applied to my new job not knowing that my team is 100% API.

I didnt chose the API Life. The API Life chose me.

2 Likes

It’s difficult to do API testing on something that doesn’t have or interface with an API :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

WTF is API testing? Should I know what that is?

Where I am at nobody likes micro services. We do big megalithic legacy software. We have a few web service interfaces. Even some REST ones… but it’s still all deployed into a regular old app server!

2 Likes

I favour small chunks of code with well-documented interfaces between them (e.g. the classic Unix model of “a program that does one thing really well”), but they don’t necessarily need to have all the overhead and security implications of an HTTP server…

1 Like

I have become a big fan of Apache thrift for this sort of stuff. Language bindings for everything I care about, fast, extensible.

1 Like

Our Sprint Planning meeting (booked at the start of the year) has a clash with a (very recently booked) department brief.

I haven’t attended one of those in years as I find skimming the digital version a better use of my time than having it spoken to me.

Also, with how late it was booked, there was little chance of me moving the Sprint Planning to a more convenient slot.

Not sure how many of my team were planning on attending, no-one had raised it with me. In any case my boss has just rescheduled the Sprint Planning over my lunch break.

Took great pleasure in telling him he could run it.

3 Likes

I’ve been using Firefox forever–with a brief chrome interlude when Google had not yet quit their motto and chromebooks were new and playing Dominion in chrome was exciting.

The latest chrome adblock shenanigans and reports of ever more youTube ads brought to my attention that I have relied on Firefox built-in blocking for a while. It’s been fine. But especially in light of more and more and more ads on youTube, I’ve been looking at a variety of blocking extensions that I used to use but that always broke a few websites.

So question: are you using any firefox extensions that block stuff? Which?

1 Like

DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials
HTTPS Everywhere
Privacy Badger
Cookie AutoDelete
uBlock Origin

I keep a copy of Chromium (the largely de-Googled Chrome) for use with sites that won’t work without privacy invasion.

No idea what that might do about YouTube, because I watch that via youtube-dl (actually the yt-dlp fork of it).

3 Likes
  • uBlock Origin
  • uMatrix

I always configure uMatrix to deny most “1st party” things by default as well. It means more admin for me (to re-enable things; the disabling part is a one-time config), but I still prefer for it to be a choice.

2 Likes

I get to test applications by getting and posting data and don’t have to interact with the front end. I’ve been in my job for nearly 1.5 years now and I can count with only one hand the number of times I used the UI during my work

2 Likes

So what tools do you use to do that? Do you write code?

I am really curious, because when I work on a public interface / API as a dev, normally in the projects I’ve been at the first round of testing falls to the tests I as a dev write for those methods. And if there is coverage… why have someone else do additional testing?

1 Like

JUnit Jupiter. So yeah. I do use Java for that.

I am really curious, because when I work on a public interface / API as a dev, normally in the projects I’ve been at the first round of testing falls to the tests I as a dev write for those methods. And if there is coverage… why have someone else do additional testing?

My job title is QA, but the team lead wants me to get into dev as there’s a big overlap between the two anyway. So while I do write tests, I do bug fixes too.

4 Likes

When I have written such tests, or had them written against my code, it’s to verify that it works end-to end, with actual (usually fake) data, and not just mocked calls.

1 Like

A robot has just invited me to solicit my peers for feed back on my skill of ‘embracing ambiguity’.

2 Likes

I embrace ambiguity. Really tightly. And then I squeeze, and squeeze, and squeeze some more, until it’s no longer ambiguous.

4 Likes

I am so going to use this on a feedback I have to write.

2 Likes

Today I asked someone to define for me exactly what they meant by “technical debt”. Apparently the answer is “it depends”.

5 Likes

Here I would say, it is issues that hinder development but fixing them generates no immediate new feature/improvement for the customer/user. As a dev this means:

• code preventing upgrade to newer libraries/servers
  • code written in haste to get the “quick” solution
  • code that cannot easily be tested
  • code that lacks tests
  • anything and everything static code analysis finds
    (this is just what I can think of in 5 minutes of procrastination–trying not to write the test I should write for the new class I already wrote)

As a corollary: Technical debt accumulates when business value > quality code. If you neglect quality upfront it while come back to bite you in the form of an unhappy dev team and, ever longer development cycles eventually bug-ridden product.

5 Likes