Tactical Studies Returns

Yes, among people who were on the fringes of the original company and see those initials as magical dollar-summoning runes.

3 Likes

I never liked anything TSR did.
The best thing that happened was that they got bought out by Wizards.

1 Like

If you still feel like following this depressing spectacle then screenshots of the often quickly deleted messages are being collected at Tenkar’s Tavern. Think I’ll stay well on the boundary, glancing over the top of the 'paper every now and then.

Like Guvnor I never liked and did not long play anything that TSR produced. And I’m full up of popcorn and schadenfreude. I’ll let the rest of this go through to the keeper; it has no prospect of producing anything but rancour.

1 Like

I still think that Amazing Engine is a minor hidden gem. But it’s a very small gem, and not a particularly valuable one, and I like it entirely for the settings and not at all for the game mechanics.

1 Like

I do have some places where I adored the TSR logo:
the AD&D 2nd Players Handbook (while acknowledging that it was a frequently terrible system),
the 1-2 copies of Dragon magazine that I own (there’s one from 1991 that’s flat out hilarious) and
the SSI computer games like Eye of the Beholder:

I wanted the “complete book of” everything but never got them. I think I read the Psionics one and… yeah, wow.

So I’m firmly in the popcorn seats for this one. Good grief.

1 Like

They do seem to be constantly coming up with new examples of how not to run a company:

1 Like

Maybe it’s some sort of performance art.

3 Likes

A little more on the slowly unfolding disaster for those still watching in horror…

Agreed re Amazing Engine, however it’s dwarfed, literally dwarfed by the creative output for Gurps by SJG or the collected Call of Cthulhu, or Glorantha, or any of the other contemporary RPG publishers.

1 Like

Oooh boy.

New TSR are attempting to sue Wizards of the Coast to get the trademarks back, even after the total social media meltdown they had 6 months ago.

a) They’re trying to crowdfund for it, which sounds like a GREAT idea

b) Their case is the stupidest legal case ever brought and won’t make it past the first minute of any judge looking at the papers. Long and hilarious thread here about all the ways they messed it up:

2 Likes

To my total lack of surprise, there are no indications of the web of a new Star Frontiers having been published. 11 days left.

1 Like

The giant has woken: HasbroWizards have applied for an injunction to prevent the publication of the new Star Frontiers, since nuTSR is still using the old trademarked names and logos.

4 Likes