Tabletop Simulator - absolute basic help please and future game sessions

Honestly, although the official DLC ones are more consistent in theming and having some level of automation, all the most impressive mods I’ve seen are fan works. (Some with the assistance and approval of the creators of the game.) E.g. the utterly ridiculous highly scripted Mage Knight mod, which has actual freaking menus, has context-specific buttons on your characters, can tell what spaces you’re on do (on placeable hex tiles) and automate some of that, score tracking, context-sensitive disposal of cards and tokens and dice on your player mat, and so on, and so on.

2 Likes

Confirmed: Tabletop Simulator on Steam

Thanks all, this is ace. TTS is now on the laptop.

I suppose the pressing question now is, does anyone fancy a game? Especially if there is a good Great Western Trail mod. I’m happy to teach the game if someone can teach me how to use TTS in return.

1 Like

I would love to learn GWT, however I am a bit short on time right now due to other gaming commitments.

I did a quick check for you. There is one mod in English including scripted setup and the expansion:

However, when I tried to load this one asset is missing from the GDrive and since I do not know the game I have no idea what is missing and how important it is.

Edit: here’s what it looks like on the table

2 Likes

Thanks. Do I just click ‘subscribe’ to load it?

1 Like

Yup. Generally I do this from within the Steam launcher, but it’ll work on your browser as well if you’re logged in there. Then it’ll appear as a new game you can start.

Sorry, do I search in the store on Steam, or within TTS?

On Steam. The library page will have a link to the workshop.

1 Like

You click on the game in your library and there is a tab called “Workshop”… it has search. I just sent the link because it was the quickest way to give you the exact mod I meant.

2 Likes

Oh, yeah, sorry, missed that the mod was already linked. Once you’re subscribed it’s in the TTS menu under Workshop.

2 Likes

Thanks.

Sorry, I’ve clicked ‘subscribe’ from within the launcher, but nothing is happening! What do I need to do? Am I missing a big red button marked ‘run’?

Launch TTS (if you haven’t already)
“Create a game” (which means “start a new empty virtual space”)
That’ll show you a list of things; I don’t have it to hand, but the third row is mods you’ve subscribed to. Click on one of those to load it.

1 Like

Start up TTS. Steam will download the mod from wherever its assets are hosted prior to running.
Then go to create -> single/multiplayer as desired -> workshop.

1 Like

Thanks. Got there.

I think I need to do the tutorial now.

The GWT mod looks beautiful, but you can literally put anything anywhere. Setup is well scripted

Note that everything is a saved-game file really - “standard games”, paid DLC, workshop, actual saved games, all of them are basically just the same sort of JSON file which says “there’s a deck with this many cards, card faces are at this URL, board image is there, dice like this”, etc.

3 Likes