Recent Boardgames (Your Last Played Game Volume 2)

It’s an open Geeklist so anyone can add in. Raiders of the North Sea isnt what i think of a game with a bite

3 Likes

It has a bit of take that from a couple of cards, but I’d say it is very mild-mannered…

1 Like

Well, the list puts Chicago Express back on my radar.

I’ve somehow lived my life without touching Power Grid and at this point I think I need to continue doing so. But a local friend has it, so maybe one day…

Also really itching for Archipelago and Condottiere.

1 Like

I’m still enjoying it. (Yay!) My wife asked me recently to reassess my top games. (Big question: is Great Western Trail still in the top three?? Spoiler: No, but it’s close.) I listed Formosa Tea as my number four, although it might have to share the spot. :upside_down_face:

As you say, @Acacia, Aaaa. It’s nice. :laughing:

4 Likes

Now I want to play it, I believe it’s on Yucata

I would join a forum game if we want to get one going.

1 Like

It’s been solidly a year since I was last here. Hello again. <.<

Played some Netrunner in person last night with like new other people. It was a good experience. We went last week, too. It’s very strange, I’m still pretty high anxiety on the trip there and back. (Especially there.)

Played a game of Flamme Rouge with my matamour the other day, too. I still don’t know if the game is hitting all the things I want it to hit. I ended up winning, so that’s a big plus in its favour. <.<

I want to go through all our games and give them some like labels or whatever based on how much we’ve played them and how much we’ve enjoyed them. There’s games I’m pretty sure we’ve only played once, there’s some in our collection I’ve never played at all, I don’t think.

17 Likes

Welcome back and welcome to the club of people with more games than time to play them :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Some games last night:

Catan, my wife pushed for this one so we went with it. A fairly tense game - one of our friends managed an early lead by investing in heaps of sheep and using the 2:1 harbor liberally. But toward the end of the game I managed to catch up, and we were pretty neck and neck for awhile. The boot from Fishermen saw some action, passing it between the two of us but then I finally managed to pass it off when I lost longest road temporarily, before sailing to a win.

Point Salad, this one was requested by one of our friends, so we played a couple of rounds. I managed to come in second both times (to different people), just shy of the win. Scores got pretty crazy high in the second game like around 80 or so, which I’m not sure we’d gotten to before.

I was secretly sad not to get Everdell to the table, which I’d been hoping for, as I’ve only played it solo so far. Ah well, maybe next week :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I managed to sneak in another game of The Loop with my partner this evening, with only one interruption! This time we used the Robofinisher and Mister Time, and we made a pretty good run of it. We took two ugly bouts of bad luck however and lost two eras with missions near completion.

This was especially devastating the second time, as it forced us to attempt the last remaining mission on the board. Here we needed to clear duplicates from 6 eras… on the heels of an absolute rampage by us—the board was basically clear of them! There was little chance we could survive long enough to complete our missions but the Doctor was merciful and didn’t make us squirm too long. We let 6 cubes drop to end us with authority.

Quite happy to have lost this one. My partner’s last (and notably, first) game was a bit of a pushover so it was good for her to get to see the tension build here and really sweat out a few turns. Another great time with this one.

2 Likes

Heheh.

It’s more that I’ve merged collections with my partner and their partner now, so we have a bunch of stuff that mainly they have played that I wasn’t there for.

2 Likes

Endeavor: Age of Sails - still a good light Euro. Delivers coop-petition and strategic decisions in 1.5 hours and that’s with 5 players. Very Mac Gerdts-ish. But my problem with it is that to improve the depth, you have to add in these bolted-on stuff that adds more rules. So often that we play this with basic setup.

Dune Imperium - no strong feelings. At least, it’s a deck builder that I don’t hate. It is as dry as Arrakis, but I’m not put off by dryness, in general.

The Crew 1 this time. I have Both Crew 1 and 2 inside the Crew 2 box. The only thing added are the rulebook and objective cards for 1.

7 Wonders: Architects - one of the worst games I have played. Small decision space and each questions have definition answers on them.

Galaxy Trucker 2nd edition

Space Base - after playing Bad Company recently, SB is still my preferred.

Friday the 13th/Poison

8 Likes

Huh? I should have done that. You’re absolutely right.

Please tell me it’s awful and I really should stay away :stuck_out_tongue:

Says the Knizi(a)phile

3 Likes

Don’t click here then :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah. I realised that the comment was unnecessary :joy:

2 Likes

We just had ourselves a game of old-school Pandemic and we absolutely SPANKED it. Eradicated all 4 diseases, we had NO outbreaks even though 5 epidemic cards (out of 6) came out, and we even managed to work it so we all finished in the same city so we could celebrate as a family.

That’s the second time this has ever happened to us. It’s nice when it does.

10 Likes

Blockquote 7 Wonders: Architects - one of the worst games I have played. Small decision space and each questions have definition answers on them

Yeah I can see how one can feel this way about the game.

3 Likes

Played Brass: Birmingham yesterday. I still can’t decide which version I like better. Birmingham feels a bit more flexible and less mean than Lancashire, but I do enjoy some cutthroat tactical canal building :grin:

9 Likes

Lancashire is in my Top 10 most likely, and I didn’t enjoy Birmingham nearly as much. The weird behaviour of the new resources, and the beer kinda killed it for me.

2 Likes

2 games session this week.

First one started with a game of Bottle Imp kindly gifted and it was nice. Trick taking at a nice, fun family weight.

Next up was Quacks of Quedlinburg followed by a game of Expedition to Newdale which didn’t go over as well as I hoped with one person but the rest of is enjoyed it. I’d like to get a good run at this game to try through the chapters but I’m not convinced I have a regular group that it would suit.

Then we finished off the day with The Crew 1 No more needs saying on this one.

Then last night I had the pleasure of playing The Gallerist with @lalunaverde. Most importantly I won and Mr Verde did not win :imp::imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp: I am the greatest artist hype man 😶‍🌫😶‍🌫😶‍🌫. It was a close game at the top and generally enjoyable. Classic Lacerda vibes of being all tight and inefficient to start with but then things get rolling and it gets tight but maybe a bit efficient. I enjoyed this play but it doesn’t quite tempt me to purchase a copy. Would play again though.

6 Likes

We got a little family gaming in yesterday, starting with a four player game of The Fuzzies with my partner and her parents. Her dad took the acrobatic move of the game, successfully completing an off-hand elephant arms cherry topper… but ultimately toppling the tower a few rounds later.

Early in the evening my nephew and I took in a quick game (one set, not the full three) of Set & Match before dinner. I won, but not by much and in his defense, learning how to serve in the game is a great source of easy points for any opponent. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Short but sweet.

4 Likes