Podcast #156 - Spirit Tracks

https://feeds.soundcloud.com/stream/1130401537-susd-podcast-156-spirit-tracks.mp3

2021-09-24T14:54:09Z

In this deliberately 156th episode of the Shut Up & Sit Down podcast, Tom and Matt are poring through the back-catalogue after a lovely afternoon of playing nice games together. We’re chugging along in Empyreal: Spells & Steam before literally obliterating hundreds of invaders in Spirit Island. It’s a tonal soufflé! I will not elaborate further.

Have a lovely weekend, folks!

Timestamps:
02:18 - Empyreal: Spells & Steam
19:56 - Spirit Island

Tom’s assessment of Empyreal raised a bug I had with the game in that directly doing the thing in such a fast and short game seems to be better than upgrading your engine. It feels like going to a tool shop to buy a tool to make some work more efficient only to realise the extra time you spent going to the tool shop was the exact amount of time the tool saves.

3 Likes

I still haven’t played Spirit Island. I’d like to.

It occurs to me with some force that it could have been themed as “the evil monsters are invading your country of generic fantasy dudes” (as with the remake of Ghost Stories). But it wasn’t, and that makes me happy.

6 Likes